Gestational Diabetes diary

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Nayna
Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2015 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Nayna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My husband and I went to the diabetes class yesterday. It was long, and honestly, I'm looking at this diet and wondering how the hell am I going to be able to follow it. I've got this horrible morning sickness thing where if my stomach feels even remotely empty I get sick. Like vomiting headache sick.

Last night I wanted my "last hurrah" meal. So I ate a half of one of those small frozen pizza and a few macaroni bites. Took my blood sugar an hour later and it was 86. That's a freaking good reading.

I ended up with heartburn (duh) so I think I took one (maybe two) rolaids last night. Woke up and my blood sugar was 112. ****, that's high for a fasting blood sugar, but I realized it could be attributed to the rolaids.

Okay, not a problem--but I think I screwed myself up this morning because I didn't eat 1/2 hour within waking, I ate within the hour. Ate some maple instant oatmeal, toast and PB. Blood sugar an hour later was 115. Good, they want it under 120 an hour after eating.

I had a mid morning snack---one serving of pringles and laughing cow cheese (the 1 meat and 1 carb they recommend). Then I took a nap, which was another mistake. I was starting to feel headachy and ill. Woke up, still feeling that way so I tried to have lunch.

Lunch was cheesy broc (the stuff sold in the frozen pouches), a ham and cheese sandwich with a little bit of mayo and half an apple. Half hour after I took two off-brand tylenol. Blood sugar an hour later was 171! Whoa. I don't know if it was waiting too long to eat plus the combo of tylenol that made my sugars funky.

I'm freaking out (even though I know I shouldn't bc it could be a bad day) that I'll have to go on medicine and at this point I'm almost like screw it, why not?! It's hard NOT to feel overwhelmed with all of this. It's also going to be hard to do this at work for the next week. Luckily that will be my last full week.

I'm hoping I can write today off as a bad day, because they said to note what's going on because stress and illness can affect blood sugar too.

Will update later with after dinner reading.

Last edited by Nayna; September 20th, 2014 at 07:04 PM. Reason: to fix the title. herp a derp
September 21st, 2014, 05:43 AM
Last night my reading was better after dinner (another sandwich, some cheesy broc and I forgot what else). It was 118. That's good.

I ate my carby snack of sugar free ice cream and crackers and cheese. My blood sugar was 100 this am. That's 1 point over what they want--I'm thinking it's also because I only slept for 6 hours and got up earlier--or maybe it's just an excuse.

For breakfast I had oatmeal and PB toast, same as yesterday. Checked my blood sugar and it was 123. Boo. That's 3 points over. I know it's only been a day since I started, but I keep thinking that I'll have to go on medicine. As long as it's not the insulin shots, I guess I'm ok with that.

Definitely want to get up and walk more. This is going to be so rough for the next two weeks....how am I going to get this under control when my job isn't friendly with this kind of stuff? I don't feel like getting an attitude everytime I need to pee or go check my sugar. I think I'm over emotional right now. Poor Alex, he doesn't need this kind of stress.

I guess it doesn't help my blood sugar readings that I'm so freaking anxious about this too.

September 24th, 2014, 05:48 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I found the diet wasn't that scary if I just worried only about the diabetes part. They of course always want you to worry about like the food pyramid, but if you just worry about making sure the carbs are ate at the right time and in the right amount, you still get all the things you want, just in the right moderation. It's very time consuming and mentally hard though! Yay for a diary in here!

September 26th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would assume your number was high when you had the sandwich plus apple.

Apples and bananas are very high in carbs. Then you factor in your 2 pieces of bread for the sandwich then whatever that cheesy broc is (no idea what that is). You will get used to it and you will figure out what you can and cannot eat.

I cannot eat yogurt. It spikes my blood sugar. I can't eat bananas as they do the same to me.

September 26th, 2014, 10:37 AM
rusticbythesea01's Avatar Steph
Glad to read all of this, as my dr just told me that I have GD and I know nothing about it. I hope the diet isn't too hard to follow....I love my sweets so that is going to be a little difficult.

2/10/14 @ 6w3d
September 26th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Actually, the bread I eat has 1 carb for two slices. It's awesome bc I can have my sandwich.

Also, I'm pretty sure my monitor was messed up because today I've been eating the exact same stuff as I have the past week and my sugars had been all borderline, and my readings with the new monitor were 88 in the am, 106 after breakfast, 96 after lunch and 110 after dinner. I'm pretty excited about those. Hubby and I did a huge carby grocery shopping thing the other day and found some awesome yogurts that have 4g sugar and less than 1/2 a carb per cup. I think the 171 was a combo of the tylenol and the headache I had.

Frankly, I'm feeling like this is sucking so bad for me right now. No matter what I eat I am always hungry an hour later. It kinda sucks and I keep getting headaches. Trying to supplement with carrots and stuff but it's not 100%.

I'm gonna do an experiment tomorrow and see if I can eat healthy but more portions and be ok. It's a learning curve

September 28th, 2014, 09:15 AM
I am so excited! I haven't gotten a reading over 114 since I got my new monitor. I even ate a cookie and an hour later my sugar was about 111! I am definitely sticking to a healthy diet, but I'm hoping I won't have to be so regimented and stuff.

October 4th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Quick update! I have only had two high readings in the last week. One was 136 and I had just eaten half a 6 inch sub from subway (wheat bread, chicken breast, cheese, lettuce, black olives aaaaand honey mustard) and some chips. The next high reading was 124 and it was because my car didn't start that morning, my husband yelled at me all the way to work about my messy car, and traffic was insane, making me late for one of my last days at work.

Everything else has been pretty below 120 an hour to an hour and a half after meals. So I've been sneaking in 1 cookie here and 1 cookie there and a serving size of doritos here and there. I won't be able to do fast food, but at least I can eat a LITTLE junky food and not feel super deprived. I've also lost weight. I'm now a pound UNDER what I started with. So maybe after delivery I'll be 10-20 pounds lighter? Please? Please? Kick start my weightloss! Hubby wants me to continue with the diet after, but I have a list of foods people are going to be getting me after I deliver.

I want:
A Big Mac Meal with tons of sweet n sour sauce.
My mom's apple pie (seriously)
A cheddar brisket sub with lots of bbq sauce from Firehouse
Five Guys cheeseburger and fries
Meatloaf, mashed potatoes meal
Spaghetti that my hubby makes
A slice of red velvet cheesecake

That's all for now. It makes Arthur laugh at me. He's like we won't go broke buying diapers, we'll just go broke buying food for you piggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search