Log In Sign Up

Makenna's birth story <3

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By mandy5586
Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2015 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,137
We were scheduled for induction on 12/23/14 at 4am (!) when I was 38 weeks 1 day due to gestational diabetes and being on oral medication. I was told to call the hospital at 3:00am to make sure they had room to induce me. I called at 2:55am and they said to come in as scheduled. My OB told me to eat a big breakfast before induction as she did not want my blood sugar to drop during labor since I wouldn’t be able to eat or drink anything. We had to leave the house before 3:30am in order to stop for breakfast and get to the hospital by 4am.
They immediately got us in a room and started the check in process. The nurse did a cervical check and said I was 2cm dilated, 50% effaced, and -2 station. So at least I had some progress as opposed to starting out at nothing. The nurse started the Pitocin at 5:30am. For the first two hours, the contractions weren’t bad as I was on a low dose of the Pitocin. My OB came in around 7:45am and said she would do another cervical check and break my water to get things going. She said I could have an epidural whenever I wanted and that there were “other” pain relief options as well (that I wanted to avoid). She checked me and I was only about 2.5cm! She said I was about 70% effaced and still -2 station. It is frustrating to have contractions for 2 hours with very little progress especially since my contractions were 3-4 minutes apart. My OB broke my water around 8:10am. At first, I was able to breathe through the contractions and they didn’t seem as bad as they were with my first daughter. My nurse came in and increased the Pitocin every 30-40 minutes. Around 9:45am, it just hit me and I really wanted the epidural. I was trying to hold off as I’ve read tons of stuff about getting the epidural too early and labor stalling. I did not want that to happen. My nurse had just left the room when I up and decided I NEEDED the epidural. Luckily, one of the charge nurses walked in and I asked her to please tell my nurse that I’d like the epidural. Within 10 minutes, the anesthesiologist came rolling into the room with all of his goodies. I honestly don’t remember the epidural hurting so much the first time I had one. But I was glad to get it. I was told it would kick in in about 15-20 minutes.
I can’t remember when it first happened, but my blood sugar kept dropping throughout labor. My OB ordered for the nurse to give me a snack (juice, graham crackers, peanut butter) whenever she did my blood sugar and it was low. I kept getting really, really hot and dizzy. The epidural kicked in quickly, but I wasn’t able to fall asleep like I did with Brynlee. I was hoping it would go similar to how it did with Brynlee. With her, I got the epidural at a 4, took a nap for an hour, and woke up at a 7. No such luck this time. The nurse checked me around 11:30am and I was at a 3. A THREE! I had barely progressed since my last check/water break at 8:10am. How awful. I was so discouraged and started to think I’d be in labor all day. The nurse said she was going to increase my Pitocin and check me again in a few hours. I had some company, visited with family, and tried to relax. The nurse checked me again at about 3pm. Before she checked me, I said, “God I better be at a 9!” When she checked me, she said,“Now what did you just say to me before I checked you??” And I said, “I better be at a 9??” And she said, “You’re at a 9 and 100% effaced!” She said that the baby still wasn’t low enough though so she was going to up the Pitocin again to try to get her to move on down and give my body some more time to push her down. She said she was going to let my OB know. Oh I was so excited! The nurse had me do some practice pushes because I could not feel my left leg at all. I could feel contractions in my abdomen on the left side as the epidural seemed to be wearing off in that area. Apparently she thought I did a great job with my practice pushes and told me to relax until my OB got there. Sometime during the wait, I got really sick. My blood sugar was low so the nurse gave me juice, crackers, and jelly (bleh). I snacked on that a little bit, but then my OB said she wanted me to eat some fruit. I took maybe one bite of the pineapples and got sick. I threw up and felt really crappy. My OB told the nurse to give me sugar water in my IV. I really can’t remember what time my OB got there. I remember watching the nurses get everything set up. As they were doing that, I was starting to get so nervous, but ready to meet Makenna. Once everything was set up, my OB said I was completely ready and she didn’t think it would take long to get her out. I pushed through just a few contractions and probably less than 15 minutes and she was here. I concentrated and pushed with all my might. I felt her head come out and I just got so emotional after feeling…relief that she was here. My OB told me not to give up yet, we still have to get the rest of her out! I pushed again and felt her shoulders and the rest of her come out. The baby nurse put Makenna on my chest as she wiped her down. I was crying and couldn’t even see her face! After Joey wiped my face, the first thing I noticed was her lack of hair! That was a huge shock as Brynlee had SO much hair. Then I noticed that she wasn’t crying. We tickled her a little and she started to cry, but it was just so quiet. I just wanted to love on her. I didn’t have any complications (like hemorrhaging like with Brynlee), but I did need to be sewn in 4 places. :/
So Makenna was born on 12/23/14 at 5:03pm weighing 7 lbs 5 oz and 20 inches long. J

Last edited by mandy5586; January 12th, 2015 at 12:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
January 8th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western USA
Posts: 9,143
Thanks for sharing!! Bummer that labor seemed to stall and not go as fast this time but glad everything worked out in the end. Congrats on your baby girl!!
Kynslee Lynn Raquelle 9/21/11
Quinton Drake 1/9/15
Reply With Quote
January 8th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,696
Thanks for sharing, love reading birth stories.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

Reply With Quote
January 8th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Mrscanadianbacon's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 361
Loved reading your story xoxoxo
Tina Mom to Kailyn (2002)
Wife to Brian
Little bean due January 1, 2015!
Reply With Quote
January 8th, 2015, 11:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,137
I have no idea why some of my words posted together. They aren't like that in my word doc!

Reply With Quote
January 9th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 941
Loved your story! Thanks for sharing!
DD born 1/1/15
Reply With Quote
January 9th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 21,788
Great story! I can't believe you went to a 9 so abruptly!

Reply With Quote
January 11th, 2015, 01:15 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Eagle, Idaho
Posts: 60,398
My first epi didn't hurt, my second epi was horrible...and took 3 shots to get it in.

Low blood sugar would make things a lot harder. Did they let you have juice or anything? They never used to at my hospital, but they were willing this time...I was confused.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:20 AM.