Baby Greenie makes HIS debut (Sawyer Robert)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By ashj_1218
Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2015 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2015, 01:11 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Hold onto your hats...this is a fun birth story

After having bloody show on the weekend of Feb 14-15th, I felt like I was waiting on bated breath for labor, despite not even being 37 weeks yet. It was such an annoying feelings since I wanted him to bake as long as possible and knew he was likely to be early anyhow (based on previous kiddos). But I couldn't help but feel that dual-pulling of the "Oh gosh kid, when is this going to happen" and "Oh, please, I'm not ready."

I spent the week losing bits of plug and blood and staying basically on high alert to anything that might signal labor. All it really got me was a few extra naps while hubby kept the kids I had a really nice day, hanging out with a friend and her kiddos on Monday the 23rd and finally felt more chill about labor. I even had a little conversation with baby Sawyer that night when I got into bed about how we were totally going to rock labor when he/she was ready to come. I fell asleep around midnight, having the usual Braxton Hicks for an hour before getting comfortable.

At 3:30am, I was jolted awake and about 5 seconds later my water started pouring out of me. I called my mom from bed, just to put her aware and for her to head over to my house whenever she felt like it (she was keeping our other kiddos and lives about 30 minutes away). I got up to go the bathroom (running as best I could, so as not to leak ALL over the house) and when I turned on the light...my amniotic fluid was basically blood. It was clearly fluid, but was actually red in color, not even pink from smaller amounts of blood. I figured I had to call the birthing center, which isn't ideal, since I wanted to labor at home for as long as possible. The midwife was very nice (the only in the practice I hadn't met) and said that bloody water is a normal variation and nothing to worry about. Sawyer was still giving me little nudges, but with the combo of bloody fluid, a previous abruption, being a 4th time mom, and living an hour from the hospital..she suggested we head in shortly.

Hubby and I took showers and my mom arrived at 5:30am. We left for the hospital at 6:30am. Smooth, easy drive, arrived at 7:30am. They got me checked in quick, verified amniotic fluid (hahaha, as if there were any questions!! And helpful hint to water breaking ladies: Depends are your friend! I wish I had discovered them two babies ago. Contained so much water so I could move about freely). Then, the nurse checked me....1 CM. ONE? ONE. ONE!!! You are telling me that as a 4th time mom, who usually births at this time, who had bloody show last week, and contractions for the past two months...and I am ONE FREAKING CENTIMETER??

Yup. One. So, they get an NST on baby and he/she looks great. HB in the 150s. They get my room ready. By this point, it's 10am and I see the midwife on call. The same one I talked to on the phone. And what does she open with? "So, I think I am going to start you on Pitocin. I think this is PROM (premature rupture of the membranes) and you aren't likely to progress much since it's been 6 hours already since you ruptured." Um....NO. I said, respectfully, that I'd like to get up, since I'd basically been laying there for hours and walk the hallways, bounce on the birthing ball, and try nipple stimulation to get things moving. I wasn't having really any contractions, but it didn't mean I couldn't try to get some pattern going. She said "It's your party. I've delivered five babies already today, so I don't care if you prefer to have yours after I leave at 5pm." (Are we getting a vibe here? I totally was not thrilled).

I had a fabulous nurse. Her name was Melissa and she deserves ALL the credit for this kiddos labor and delivery (you'll see why later). So she gets me off monitors and I walk the hallways with my hubby for 2 solid hours. And I start having contractions. Heck, I start having contractions that send me back to my room because I feel like an idiot leaning against walls in the hallway. They are every 3-4 minutes and when I get in my room at noon, I'm restless when they hit their peak. The nurse gets another NST on baby while I sit on the birthing ball. I was not terribly comfortable. The ball was a little low for my height and I wanted to lean over during contractions and baby didn't like that. So I end up standing so they can get a strip on him/her. But we find that baby's heart rate is running a tad high and they want a little longer to make sure it's going to return to normal. I pace around the room during this time, leaning over my raised bed and singing to the words of various songs on Pandora while the contractions peak.

At 1pm, I have my husband text my mom that things seem to be moving at a quicker pace and she should have my dad take over kid care so she can get to the hospital for the birth (always in the plans, she has seen all the other three). My nurse is happy with the strip at this point and I want to get in the jacuzzi tub. She fills it and I get in. It's heaven. She comes back to check on me in a half hour and I swear it felt like five minutes. I was just moaning deeply through contractions at this point. They made it very clear that if I got at all pushy, I had to get out of the tub, since it was a huge no-no to birth in the tub.

At 2pm, I start to feel "different" during contractions, but not really in a way I can put my finger on. I realize now that I was bearing down a bit with each one. At 2:10 I suddenly jump out of the tub (with hubby's help) and tell him to ring the call button NOW. I have to push. I leave the bathroom and get onto the bed on my hands and knees. But the urge to push goes away entirely. And I don't contract for a few minutes. I start to think I called my nurse prematurely. She gets a glove on to check me...and then it gets fun.

I scream and get onto my knees alone and start pushing out Baby Sawyer. I am holding my own perenium. I feel him start to crown and then I wait a second and push through the ring of fire. His head is out. The midwife just walked in the room. My nurse has one glove on (so do I, it covered the un-used, but necessary because of my clotting issue, hep lock when I was in the tub). The midwife starts putting on her other glove. And my nurse says to me "Do it, you already did the head yourself. Birth the rest of your baby. Catch him." So I reach down, push (harder than I expected to, my other kiddos slid out easier) and birth the rest of his little body into my own hands while my hubby takes Ah-maz-ing pictures of it all. I see boy parts right away His cord was around his neck, just once and not terribly tight. The nurse helped me loop it off and sit back so I could put him on my chest. I turned to hubby and held up the baby, which is the picture you've seen. I was so stoked. It was completely surreal.

The midwife did delayed cord clamping and baby Sawyer had a healthy cord, so it was about 15 minutes. I got two bags of pit because of my blood clotting issue and the fact that I am a 4th timer and apparently that can cause some "boggy" uterus issues where it doesn't clench down as effectively. The midwife clamps the cord and daddy gets to cut it. I actually had to birth the placenta this time too, previously it came out a bit easier. But I had to push for it, not terribly painful, but not comfy either. However, at that point, you don't really care about anything but baby.

He started rooting to eat within about 30 minutes of birth and nursed for....wait for it...2 hours!! Lol. Would have a fit when I took his nipple away. My mom, who missed the whole thing, came around 3:30 and we didn't tell her we had the baby or what it was. It was so cool to capture her reaction after the chaos. She was dead wrong, she swore it was a girl. I knew all along

Sawyer is a beautiful, calm baby. Hardly ever gets upset. Very quiet. He weighed in at 7lbs, 4.5oz and 21.5" long at 37+1. His head is tiny at 13" but he has huge hands and feet! He is covered in downy hair, the fuzz on his head is blonde and quite soft. I think his eyes are brown and will be shocked if I am wrong. Because he came so fast, he has a ton of facial bruising that should go down in the next few days. They are hoping it doesn't elevate his jaundice levels. So far, so good. He is having a bit of trouble nursing because of a tongue tie, which is causing some sugar issues. But we are managing with a pump and monitoring. So we should be able to leave tomorrow after his tongue tie gets clipped.

Honestly, this is exactly the birth I wanted. No interventions. No one telling me what to do. Non-scary pushing stage. Lots of bonding afterward. I got it all. You guys know I was terrified going in this time. My daughters birth was tough and somewhat traumatizing. I feel this one was so healing. It was all listening to my body and not listening to silly midwives who think a med is automatically the way to go. All in all, I had labor for 2 hours and 3 minutes of pushing. I birthed him basically unassisted and, yet, felt so supported by my nurse who was cheering me on. She said it was the coolest birth she has had in over a year. I'll share some more pics when I get them off the camera, but if you don't want a little bit of graphic, maybe don't look. I'm really proud of them. I still can't even believe how it happened or that my little guy is here.

We aren't sure if he is the last. But, if he is, I am totally great with how I went out of the birthing world. It was very empowering.
February 25th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Debafafa's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LURKING.

This is beautiful and I am over here crying. I love to read positive natural birth stories they truly are empowering.
February 25th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Veteran
So happy for you, Ash. So many similarities with J's birth. Such an awesome feeling - you rock, mama!

February 25th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Veteran
Wow, welcome to the world Sawyer! That was quite the entrance. So happy for your family.
February 25th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow you are a rock star! What a great birth story! He definitely made quite the entrance
TTC our Rainbow Baby
February 25th, 2015, 08:36 PM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unbelievable! And just so amazing. I'm so happy you had such a perfect birth.

Nichole
February 26th, 2015, 06:45 AM
March 2015 DDC Co-Host
Wow you are incredible! Thanks for sharing that amazing story!

Mommy to DS Age 2

Baby #2 is Due February 2018
February 26th, 2015, 03:54 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar March 2015 DDC Co-Host
WOW, crazy girl!!! Great birth story, you are awesome!! I'm so happy that you were able to get a sense of peace and closure with his birth, that is just wonderful!

March 2nd, 2015, 02:17 PM
Kissthegirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Holy cow, you are amazing!!! I'm so proud of you, geez! So confidence like that comes with your 4th? Man, you want to be in my delivery room with me?

J/K! Congrats mama! I'm so happy for you that your delivery was everything you hoped for!!
March 15th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Macmom08's Avatar Super Mommy
That was a fun story!! Congratulations!!!!

MC 10/8/2013- 14 weeks 5 days
Hoping to give the love of my life his rainbow baby!!

<a
July 22nd, 2015, 03:19 PM
carmenah's Avatar Super Mommy
Lurking from September (was part of the March club, but m/c) and I could imagine EVERY bit of your story in my head! Sounds amazing! Glad you had the birth you wanted!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search