Log In Sign Up

Robert Edward III

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2015 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2015, 09:37 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 562
At long last - here is my birth story....

I've gone from Team Green to Team Blue. Robert Edward III (we're calling him Eddie) was born Thanksgiving morning.

On the afternoon of Monday, November 23, I went to my prenatal check up. I had high blood pressure and protein in my urine, so the first thing my doctor said when she came in the room was that she wanted me to go to the hospital to be induced that night because those were both early signs of preeclampsia. It was quite the shock for me. I still hadn't dilated at all, which I was informed upped my risk of having a c-section if induced. So I was scared, and not really ready to head to the hospital to jump start labor. When I got checked in to the hospital a few hours later my BP was back to normal, and the blood work they did was all normal, so DH &I questioned whether I really needed to be induced (not really understanding everything about preeclampsia). The nurse called my doctor, who suggested that if I was hesitant about induction I should at least stay the night at the hospital to have my BP monitored and she would talk to me in the morning. By morning I still wasn't convinced because my BP was normal all night. So she suggested I talk to the fetal maternal specialist at the hospital. The specialist explained things much better, and I agreed to be induced.

They started the Cytotec that morning, and by the following morning (Wednesday the 25th) I was finally dilated 1 cm. That was good enough for them, so they started the Pitocin. I started having mild contractions soon after that, and my water broke around 1 in the afternoon. Things really picked up after that, and I ended up having back labor. I was in PAIN! I tried a birthing ball (the only thing they would let me do outside of bed), but that did no good. My mom walked in the room while I was sitting on the ball and I broke down in tears. Partly from the pain, and partly because I had really wanted to have a drug free delivery, but knew at that point that I would be asking for Nubain. The first dose of Nubain was wonderful. It took effect right away, and I was able to nap in between contractions. But then it wore off, and the back labor & pain were back in full force. I got a second dose, but it did nothing for me. At one point, when both the doctor and the nurse were in the room & asked what my pain level was, I just said "Remember how much I was absolutely against getting an epidural? Well, is it too late for me to get one?" So yeah, I ended up with an epi. I just couldn't take the pain of the back labor any more.

Finally, some time around midnight, I was dilated to 10. I pushed for a while (half hour maybe? I'm not really sure of the time), but apparently because of the epidural I wasn't pushing in the right spot. So the nurse got the OK from my doctor to turn the epi down (and according to my mom she also turned the pit up at the same time). I was able to push correctly after that, but the back labor was still going strong. I was in so much pain once again. But after a few hours of pushing, my little boy entered the world at 4:19 am! DH cut the cord, and they placed him on my stomach. The nurse was rubbing him with a blanket, but not getting much response from him, and he wasn't crying. I was rubbing him with my hand and begging him to cry, and then the nurse took him away to work on him. Turns out he swallowed fluid on his way out, so she had to suction him. It seemed like forever that I was laying in bed, trying to see my son, and asking why he wasn't crying. I guess it was only a few minutes though. I finally heard the most wonderful sound - my crying baby. And while the nurse weighed & measured him, my doctor was telling her to bring the baby to his mom. "She's waited long enough, you can get his measurements later." And then I finally got to hold him in my arms. And he was beautiful. He weighed in at 6 lbs 8 oz, and measured at 21" long. However, it turns out the length was a little off. Apparently the nurse measured him to the top of his cone head. When he was measured at his doctor's appointment on day 5 he was only 19 3/4" long.

It took him a while to get him to nurse. He wouldn't latch until some time after 7 pm. Since he was spitting up some, despite not nursing, the nurse determined he still had fluid in his tummy (which was the assumed reason why he wouldn't nurse - his tummy was full), so she brought him to the nursery and suctioned him again. It was after that that he finally started to attempt to nurse.

He's been a very alert and curious baby since day 1. The nursing has improved beautifully. I just wish the sleeping situation was better. I think he has his days and nights mixed up. He sleeps great during the day, but most nights he either doesn't want to sleep, or will only sleep while he's being held. But we're trying to correct that.

DH is absolutely thrilled that he has a son (we both thought the baby was going to be a girl). Every day for the first couple weeks after Eddie was born, DH would look at me and say "Thank you for my son". He keeps telling Eddie about all the adventures they'll have when he's older, and about everything his daddy is going to teach him.

A few hours after birth.

He's a thumb/finger sucker (I was taking his sweatshirt off. I got one arm out, and then he stuck his thumb in his mouth).

His first tux

Missing our angel m/c on 12/11/14 at 11 weeks 3 days

Reply With Quote
December 31st, 2015, 05:56 PM
Dasa's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: EU
Posts: 671
Congratulations again! You did very well during your L&D. The "not crying" part was a little scary, but fortunatelly, it was just a while and everything was OK then. I had a back labor too, it was extremely painful the last hour, but my labor was shorter (5 hrs in total) and i managed it without meds. I admire your 3 or 4 hours of pushing! You must have had so much energy. My average pushing time is about 1 minute. Eddie is precious! Cute pics (especially the Xmas one)!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25 AM.