Karin & Nugget's Pregnancy Journal

Forum: March 2016 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2016 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2015, 04:15 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Placeholder for belly pics

July 15th, 2015, 03:09 PM

6w0d
I can't believe I'm here. Again. It was such a long shot the first time around, and even a longer shot for #2. But yet, here we are.

Many of you know our story, but for those that don't, a brief synopsis.

Me and DH are both 40 years old. We got married in 2007, and started TTC in 2008. We tried naturally (with all the bells and whistles) for a while before realizing we were struggling and sought out the advice of our OB. Tried a bit more, then on Nov 11, 2011 had a consult with a RE. After some testing and lab work, we learned that our chances of conceiving naturally were exceptionally low -- less than 0.5%. My egg quality was exceedingly poor. I was diagnosed with DOR (diminished ovarian reserve) and POF (premature ovarian failure). We started treatment, and our first cycle failed, having not responded to the medication properly. Our second cycle was rigorous, and with a fresh transfer of 2 embryos (and 2 frozen!), we conceived Baxter. He was born healthy on Jan 22, 2013. Nothing short of a miracle.

He is now a thriving 2.5 year old. When he was 18 months, I weaned him from breastfeeding (hardest thing I've ever done), and started medications again to try for #2. Our RE gave us an even slimmer chance of any protocol working (less than 0.1%), but was willing to try, as long as there was no harm to my health.

We had a hard time. I was 3 years older than I was with B, and my body just wasn't responding to the stimulation medications. We tried every protocol imaginable, different combinations of medications. There was a time I was doing 4-6 injections a day, plus other medications. They did not treat my body kindly. I have been on a roller coaster of hormones for the past 10 months. When all protocols were failing, and we weren't even able to make it to egg retrieval, we decided to try with our 2 frozen embryos.

On transfer day, after completing a mock cycle and ERA testing to determine the most receptive time to transfer, we thawed both embryos. One didn't make it through the thaw, but the other did. We transferred one embryo. Negative. We were crushed.

We thought long and hard about our next steps. We had a team meeting with our RE, nurses, and us (and let's not forget finance...we are paying for this all 100% out of pocket, and I don't even want to add up what 8 cycles plus meds cost -- at about $10-15k per cycle plus $3600-$5000 in meds per cycle). We were presented with one last ditch protocol. It was one that was rarely used, and only used in, basically, the most hopeless of cases. It was using hGH (human growth hormone) and testosterone to help try and improve egg quality. It was a lengthy and ugly cycle. The medications were no picnic, and i was a wreck during most of it.

Lo and behold, when we got to the time for egg retrieval, we were all thrilled and surprised to find 4 follicles. Many women undergoing IVF have between 9-17 follicles. We thought 4 was a small victory. We set the retrieval date, and prayed. We had been close before, only to have my follicles deflate by retrieval day.

Retrieval day arrived, and they were able to extract 2 eggs!! Two had collapsed, but 2 were still there. We were thrilled. Another hurdle! Now for them to fertilize. DH gave his sample, and the embryologist did her magic. Using ICSI, she inserted hand-selected sperm into each egg. Both fertilized! Then we waited.

We waited until Day 3. On that day, we learned that both embryos were growing. Fingers crossed! Day 5, transfer day. We made it! One embryo stopped growing on Day 4, but the other was going strong. It was in the morula phase (not yet blastocyst but very close). The doctor and embryologist said it looked perfect and both had no doubt it would continue to the blast stage. We transferred that one embryo. That was June 22, 2015.

The wait began. The longest days. I tracked all my IPS (imaginary pregnancy symptoms) and waited. On July 1, 2015, I went for my first beta. However, since DH was not able to be with me when the results would come in, we decided to take a HPT that morning before work. We both cried when that 2nd pink line was there. No doubt. We were pregnant.

When the beta results were in, the entire nursing staff called me on speaker phone. Many of them have become friends, and they were all so invested in our journey. "You're PREGNANT!" they screamed. My first beta was 213.

I was scheduled to have a repeat beta 2 days later on July 3. We were traveling and all labs were closed for the July 4 holiday. I had to wait until Monday July 6 for a repeat beta. We got the results the next morning.

My doctor herself called me. My heart sank. She never ever called. It was early in the morning, before the office was open. She said, "I don't believe this. Your numbers are perfect 2623.". I was in shock. She saw the results sitting there when she got in and nobody else was in and she couldn't wait to call me. Our doubling time was 33 hours. Everything was on track.

FF to today. Today was our first ultrasound at 6w. We immediately saw the heartbeat. My RE said, "there's your pumpkin, and look at that heartbeat". Another hurdle. She kept saying over and over how she couldn't believe we were here. Two miracles.

We still have a long road ahead. Because of my diagnosis, i only have a 25% chance of having a normal egg/embryo. At 9w, we will do cfDNA testing to determine if the embryo is euploid. It will test for the common trisomies and SB. We will also be able to learn gender, if we so choose.

We are here, and that in itself is miracle enough. But we still have one more hurdle to leap. Once we get our 9w test results (which take 1 week), I will feel far more confident. But I wanted to get this written while it was fresh in my head.

Keep praying friends.
-k

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | Pregnancy Journals: Nugget (or here) and Baxter (or here)

Last edited by kbpeanut; October 12th, 2015 at 04:20 PM.
October 12th, 2015, 04:24 PM
July 18th, 2015, 09:14 AM

6w3d
Nothing spectacular to report. Just plugging along...had DH's company picnic yesterday, so that was fun trying to hide things. A lot of people know we have been doing IVF for a while, and while I don't have a huge bump, i'm showing for sure. It's not "real", it's mostly bloat and leftover swelling from the meds, but it's there.

Symptom-wise, I'm tired a lot. Mostly in the afternoons. I wake up starving. Occasional bouts of queasiness, but other than that, pretty normal/good.

October 12th, 2015, 04:32 PM
July 19th, 2015, 11:19 AM

6w4dI've learned quickly that I need to keep my belly full at all times. This started last night. We went out to dinner with a friend, and I napped through lunch. My belly was empty. Waiting for our table, i felt really sick, queasy, and started getting hot flashes and dizzy. I sat down, had club soda, which always helps, and as soon as I started eating, I was immediately better.

Same thing at breakfast this morning.

Time to start snacking all day!

Last edited by kbpeanut; October 12th, 2015 at 04:38 PM.
October 12th, 2015, 04:38 PM
7w6d
I am so bad at journaling this time around. I know I was so happy to have written down all my thoughts and feelings with my pregnancy with Baxter, but I have done a piss poor job thus far. Honestly, if you want to know my real thoughts, it's because I still don't believe this is really happening. I'm going through the motions, doing all the right things, but it's like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Tomorrow is my 8w scan. I will be going alone, because DH is out of town. I truly am never alone there though. So many friends. And once they see that DH isn't with me, someone that loves me will come in the room with me to hold my hand. Her name is Millie and she's a godsend. She has been with me since day 1 of all this, back in 2011. I love her with all my heart.

But anyhow, I know in my heart of hearts that everything will be perfect tomorrow. But there is always that feeling that it won't be. When we got pregnant naturally many years ago, it was at the 8w u/s that we found baby had stopped growing at 7wXd. So this is always a hard time for me. Knowing that we have already seen a strong heartbeat, though, gives me a lot of hope. But you never know.

And that's not be being pessimistic, that's me being realistic. Even my RE at the 6 week appointment told me not to get too attached. We still have so many hurdles. Tomorrow, the 8w scan. At 9w, the cfDNA test. At 10w, the results of that test and another scan. 10w will be the most telling appointment of them all.

At that appointment, we will have the results back from our cfDNA test. This is basically an earlier version of Harmony, Sequenom, Verifi. It will tell us if the embryo we transferred was chromosomally normal. It will be at that point which we will learn whether we have any chance of carrying this baby to term.

But we need to get past tomorrows hurdle first.

Symptoms: I'm feeling reasonably normal the past few days. Still tired, but not quite as queasy. I've been used to keeping my belly full at all times to combat the queasy feeling, but now I think my belly doesn't need to be that full and it's feeling yucky because i'm overeating. Bleh. I've been trying to go to bed with B at around 9pm, so i'm getting a decent nights sleep at least. That's really it though. Bloated, but that's nothing new.

Off to bed.

October 12th, 2015, 04:45 PM
July 29th, 2015, 04:02 PM

8w0d
Scan today was perfect. I was nervous as heck waiting. My RE knew that and didn't waste any time once she walked in the room. She started making chit chat, asked how I was, and when I told her nervous, she said "ah ok, so shut up and stick the wand in then". haha. She's funny. She very quickly verified the heartbeat, and then took measurements.

Little one is measuring 8w3d roughly (8w1d +/- 3d), and everything looks perfect. One more hurdle down, one HUGE one to go....

Last edited by kbpeanut; October 12th, 2015 at 04:48 PM.
October 12th, 2015, 04:51 PM
August 1st, 2015, 01:31 PM
8w3d

Nothing terribly exciting to report. I'm tired, and get super winded walking up just one flight of stairs. That's my biggest symptom right now.

October 12th, 2015, 04:57 PM
August 3rd, 2015, 04:18 PM
8w5d
TIRED. Spent the morning at the zoo with 2 of B's playroom gals. One lives here, and we've met several times, and the other drove in for a long weekend, so we all decided to meet up. It was a fabulous time, but MAN am I wiped. Looks like early bed for me tonight!

Symptoms are coming and going. Depends on the day, time of day, and my activity level. I am having a really hard time finding the right balance between eating too little, eating too much, blah. I'm not horribly sick, but my tummy is often in turmoil. What works? Ice cream, go figure. From the formerly lactose intolerant person. From the one who still has a mild dairy intolerance. I don't get it, but it works. Vanilla malts are winning. So is tart frozen yogurt. My kiddo is LUCKY right now. He's reaping the benefits of mom's cravings. The chocolate craving that I had with B is also back. Not even good chocolate. Just junk food, gas station candy bar, chocolate. Whatever. It helps, so I go with it. I eat pretty darn healthy otherwise, so I'm not fighting it.

This week, as mentioned above, is my 9w appointment. No scan, no doctor visit, just a blood test. This is my cfDNA (NIPT) test to check for chromosome abnormality. We only have a 25% chance of this being euploid, so we are still hanging onto that hope, but at the same time, trying not to get attached until we know one way or the other. The next 10 days are going to be very hard. And I pray, pray, pray, that after the results come in, it will be smooth sailing from there on out... -

Last edited by kbpeanut; October 12th, 2015 at 04:59 PM.
October 12th, 2015, 05:04 PM
August 5th, 2015, 08:55 AM
9w0d
Each week that passes, another milestone!Had our cfDNA/NIPT/Panorama test this morning. Results expected within the week, but at the latest, at our 10w0d appointment next Wednesday. We have only a 25% chance of good news from this test, so we need all the prayers we can get. We may have tough choices ahead.In better news, I think more "real" m/s has kicked in. Yesterday and today, I have felt considerably worse than I have been. The queasiness has turned to more nausea. I'm still trying to find a good balance of how much/how little/right amount/what to eat. I'm still eating, so that's a good start.

Last edited by kbpeanut; October 12th, 2015 at 05:09 PM.
October 12th, 2015, 05:14 PM
August 11th, 2015, 12:45 PM
9w6d

Whew. It's been a day. Last night, I started spotting, brown. Very light, no cramping, no red. It sorta went away overnight (had to get up a few times to pee), but back this morning. Needless to say, I was terrified. I called the nurses first thing this morning, and asked if I should come in, or wait until my appointment tomorrow. She told me to do what would make my heart feel better. I went in.I could hardly sleep last night....couldn't eat this morning. Too nervous. My heart told me things were fine, I even dreamt that things were fine. But my head told me to be concerned. I'm high risk as it is, and we tried so long and hard to get this far. I got right in this morning. Everyone was asking how I was doing, and everyone knew why I was there a day early. When the doc came in, she made no bones about getting a look very quickly. She very quickly said "Well, the little pumpkin is moving around so there has to be a heartbeat in there!". And sure enough, there was. And measurements showed that baby was right on point for today. She did see an area of vascular concern, though nothing wrong with baby. She sent me to the nurse to get my discharge papers, since today was graduation day. When I was meeting with the nurse, she had a change of heart, and decided that she wanted the other RE in the practice to take a look, just for a second set of eyes. She took a LONG look, and also confirmed everything with baby looked normal. She also saw the area of vascular concern. They were really looking for SCH, but none to be found. The area they found may have caused the bleeding, but shouldn't cause any issues until closer to delivery. She sent me back to the nurse, with lots of hugs from both doctors. I got all my papers and scan photos, and was on my way. We are still waiting for the lab results from our cfDNA/Panorama/NIPT test, and those are expected this week. Once we get those, we will feel LOADS better. We still aren't out of the woods.I wasn't mentally prepared to say my goodbyes today. This was supposed to happen tomorrow at my 10w appointment, when DH was going to go with me. But alas, it was today. I made the rounds, hugs were given freely, and a few tears shed. I will be both thrilled to never step foot in there again (as a patient), but very sad to not see people that have truly become friends every week. Now for those dang lab results...

October 12th, 2015, 05:25 PM
August 13th, 2015, 10:17 AM

10w1D
I took my last progesterone and estrogen last night. I am so happy! There is nothing grosser than sticking 2 pills up your hoo-ha 2x a day forever. Time to go panty shopping! All my others are trashed....sorry for the TMI.

I am still waiting on these dang results. We knew yesterday was on the early side of expecting them, but we are hoping today. Tomorrow for sure, they say. "They say". We shall see.

Went to a concert last night - totally random date night. A friend from back home, her nephew is an up and coming country star who plays at the Opry often. He is on tour and came to San Diego last night, so we got a sitter and went to see the show. It was excellent, and a really nice distraction.

Waiting, waiting...

October 12th, 2015, 05:35 PM
August 16th, 2015, 01:10 PM
10w4d

Test results came in this morning. My RE called us right away. Low risk for everything. Looks like B is going to be a big brother in March

Last edited by kbpeanut; October 12th, 2015 at 05:40 PM.
October 12th, 2015, 05:42 PM
August 19th, 2015, 02:38 PM

11w0d

I can't believe I am 11 weeks pregnant.

Last edited by kbpeanut; October 12th, 2015 at 05:47 PM.
October 12th, 2015, 05:48 PM
August 21st, 2015, 08:28 AM

11w2d - or ?
Well, the gender results came in with our NIPT results. They are sitting in a sealed envelope on my counter. We aren't looking!

But we are finding out today...

Since 2011, our fertility clinic has been such an instrumental part of our journey. In fact, many have become like family, and a few even came to DS' 2nd birthday party! We are so close with our team there. When I was spotting the day before my 10w graduation appointment, I went in a day early, and DH was out of town, so he wasn't able to say his goodbyes. We are using today as an excuse to have him go and say his byes to the team. What they don't know is that we are brining with us some special gifts, cards, treats, and lots of hugs.

I wanted to make sure everyone was going to be there this afternoon, so I arranged it ahead of time. And asked them to do a gender reveal for us! We are so excited!

What's your vote? I know I don't have a ton of followers here these days, but if you are here, what do you think?

Team or ?

My vote:

Team

October 12th, 2015, 05:57 PM
August 22nd, 2015, 02:07 PM

So sorry for the late update! It was a busy afternoon!

We arrived at the clinic and were told they weren't ready just yet, to hold tight. My RE came out and hugged us, and said hi. Then they were ready and we were escorted back. One of our nurses told me that she had our main nurse on FaceTime vacation!! We were taken past all the normal exam and consult rooms. When we got to the closed door, there were some printed pics of us and some ????. My RE had Baxter open the door and she reached in and flipped on the light.

There were balloons everywhere! There were cookies with "It's A ...." all over the table. And our favorite MA was sitting in the corner taking video on her phone. I screamed and DH cried.

All the staff came into the room and we enjoyed cookies and tears and lots of hugs.

We are....

October 12th, 2015, 06:07 PM
August 31st, 2015, 05:01 PM
12w5d

Had my first MFM appointment last Friday. Same perinatologist that I had with Baxter. It's not always easy to get in, and they have to "approve" you each pregnancy, so it wasn't a given that I would get to see her again. But I do! Which is great, because I loved her.

Appointment went well. DH came with me, so got to see Nugget for the first time. She did the ultrasound right away, saw the heartbeat, heard it, then saw her wiggling around like crazy. Then we chatted about this and that, and had a pap (weeeeeeee!). She found a small placenta previa, but it was small, and she wasn't concerned right now. She said once we get to about 20 weeks, we will re-evaluate.

Sent us on our way with lab papers. Next appointments are in 2, 4, and 6 weeks -- with 6 weeks being the NT/anatomy scan!

Still can't believe it.

And i'm sure it goes without saying, but if you're friends with me on FB, nothing at all there please! We will announce when we are ready!

October 12th, 2015, 06:17 PM
September 5th, 2015, 08:23 AM

13w3d

I am so terrible about journaling this time around. I better snap to it or I will be mad at myself later. Even now, I find myself going back to Scooter's journal from time to time!

Nothing new to report. We are past the 13 week mark, so I am def feeling better about things. For the past few weeks, I swear I feel flutters, but I also know it's still early, so I don't bank too much on it. But it's getting more and more frequent, so I'm starting to think it's real. Just flutters, but they are there. Once I can feel "real" movement, I'll feel way better.

Still trying to decide on a way to announce to the world. We have started telling local people here and there as we see them. My bump is hard to hide these days, and most people we have told have known we have been trying.

My in-laws are arriving today for 10 days. And yes, that's a GOOD thing. I love my in-laws, and love when they visit. They are very easy houseguests, very helpful, and love their time with their (for now) only grandchild. I get a lot done when they are here, and it's always nice to have 2 extra sets of hands -- especially since we have no family at all nearby.

Next appointment is next Friday -- standard check, quick scan. I have to get some labs done between now and then, just routine bloodwork.

My days are filled with queasiness and trying to balance what to eat, how much to eat. I have felt worse in the last 3 weeks than I have felt the entire pregnancy. I'm hoping this all starts to let up soon!

x

Last edited by kbpeanut; October 12th, 2015 at 06:22 PM.
October 12th, 2015, 06:22 PM
September 15th, 2015, 01:45 PM

14w6d
Whew! My inlaws just left after staying with us for 10 days. I love them dearly, and they are a big help when they are here, but it's nice to have my house back and get back into a routine!

Last Friday, I had my 14w appointment. Nugget looks fabulous, much bigger than last time! She is measuring about a week ahead, but still everything looks perfectly normal. Saw some hands and feet

My labs came back and everything was fine except my iron, which was pretty low. This happened with Bax pregnancy as well, so she put me on prescription iron - yuck. So I started my Grape Nuts diet to ward off the constipation that will ensue. It was the only thing that worked last time.

I feel pretty crappy most days. I am functional, which is nice, but I feel generally off most days. I am having a hard time finding foods that sit well. Right now, english muffins with homemade (not mine) jam, grape nuts, OJ are working for breakfast. Lunch is usually really light as that's when the yucks start to set in. This week, pita chips and hummus. Dinner is whatever our Plated meals are, and while most contain meat, I usually push that aside. Meat is a big no-no for me at the moment. And of course, my Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream after dinner. Snacks throughout the day are utter crap. Gummy bears, Smarties, and Twizzlers. Awful. Just awful. But they all seem to settle my tummy. I'm trying to keep the crap food to a minimum.

No appointments this week. Next one is next week, then at 18 weeks for NT scan!

Still working on a FB announcement, so still nothing there yet please

Last edited by kbpeanut; October 12th, 2015 at 06:24 PM.
October 12th, 2015, 06:31 PM
September 18th, 2015, 05:38 PM

15w2d
I always intend to journal on my new week, but I always seem to forget! With B, my weeks turned over on Mondays, so this Wednesday bit throws me off.

The only thing really to report this week is that for the past 2 days, I've felt reasonably human for the first time in a LONG time. I ate a normal lunch both days, and didn't feel like ralphing. I still have an unwavering craving for sweets and ice cream.

Baxter is sick....just a cold, but it's a doozy. It came from my FIL. I don't know why he didn't keep a little better distance. I was a bit annoyed if i'm to be honest. He was blowing his nose, sneezing, all that jazz, and then had B sitting right next to him, kissing him, snuggling him. I mean, I get it, but come ON, be a little careful. B has been sick like 2x in his life. HIS LIFE. This week it was mostly just a runny nose, and not even enough to keep him home fro school or swimming, but today, he woke up worse than ever. We were supposed to do a fun activity today, but I decided to cancel, and keep him home. His nose is uber runny, and he is coughing and sounding more congested now. I've been giving him Hylands Cold medicine, and it marginally helps, but takes forever to kick in. DH has it too, but his seems more mild. I think the worst part of it is, FIL and MIL didn't even think twice that it came from FIL, they just kept saying, "Well, that's what happens when he goes to school!" Um, no. He's already had that cold, and it lasted about 2 days.

Rant over.

My next appointment is Monday morning. Just a quick check and peek.

Still working on FB announcement.

Obsessing over new crib sheets. We aren't going to do too much to the nursery, since it's really pretty neutral. We will take down one boyish mobile that we have and replace with another that a friend gave me. We will replace the wall decal with B's name, but not until Nugget is here and we have chosen a name. And a few pieces of nursery art will be replaced based on bedding. So really, I just need to decide on new bedding and the rest will come together reasonably inexpensively. But of course, all I am finding that I LOVE are discontinued sets from PBK.

I think I want to treat us to a new glider as well. Ours is great, and in really great condition, and has served us well, but one thing we didn't know when we bought it is how often we would fall asleep in that chair! Our glider is super comfortable to sit, but it's got a lower back so that if you fall asleep, your head falls and your neck gets all cranked. My Jamberry business has done well this past year, so I may use some of my earnings to buy a new one. We will see though. It's not a necessity, just a want.

That's all for now. Will update after appointment next week!

October 12th, 2015, 06:43 PM
September 24th, 2015, 02:51 PM

16w1d

I always intend to update on my new week, but I never seem to remember! I had an appointment on Monday, quick look, baby is big, squirmy, breach, and healthy. She is measuring almost a week big right now, but still well within normal limits.

My next appointment is my NT/anatomy scan -- Oct 2, a week from tomorrow. After that, I will have some labs done (2nd trimester screen and TSH levels). From that point forward, I'll have monthly ultrasounds (big ones*).

* Note, I should make a distinction between ultrasounds/big ones, and routine ones. They are all ultrasounds to me, but different to my doc. She takes a quick look at every appointment. Nothing fancy, just a quick look and listen. The big ultrasounds, starting with NT scan and monthly thereafter, are done with a more powerful machine. That's all. I get more looks than a routine patient since I am at a high-risk clinic.

Still feeling crummy most days, and have to manage what I'm eating and not eating. I am having a hard time with most meats. Craving homemade Chex Mix and Muddy Buddies for some reason. I have made both this week.

Not too much else to report, no flutters really yet. I have an anterior placenta, so i likely won't for a while. That's all for now!

Last edited by kbpeanut; October 12th, 2015 at 06:46 PM.
October 12th, 2015, 06:50 PM
October 1st, 2015, 08:41 AM

17w1d
Finally starting to feel a little better! The yucks come and go, but seems like maybe, just maybe, they are on their way out. Tomorrow is my NT/anatomy scan, and while I really should have nothing to worry about, I will always worry until this Nugget is earthside.

Last edited by kbpeanut; October 12th, 2015 at 06:53 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search