Post-Baby weight loss

Forum: 2015 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2015 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy

Last edited by dwhite23; March 22nd, 2017 at 02:24 PM.
February 5th, 2015, 08:46 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
It's really individual to the mama. Some women drop the weight with no problems. Some women's bodies hold onto it because they are nursing. A few key things: drink lots and lots of water, make sure you are eating enough (it's super common for moms to "diet" after a baby, but all it does is slow your metabolism because your body tries to conserve those calories. Breastfeeding takes an additional 500 calories a day!), and try to rest whenever you can (again, when your body is stressed it produces cortisol, which slows your metabolism). It often takes 9 months to take off the weight, since it took 9 months to put it on. I'm sure we would all love to look awesome in our bathing suits this summer, but reality is that it's putting undue pressure on yourself. I plan on shopping for a flattering, probably size bigger, bathing suit and rocking it with my newbie strapped to my chest. I doubt anyone will notice a bit of thigh with that cute bundle right there

Personally, I've never had a problem taking off the weight I gain. I've been even with pre-pregnancy or below by around 9-10 months postpartum each time. But I know I didn't rush it. I remember stagnating with the weight loss for months, then it starts to come off again. I gained 0 with my first (I was very overweight to start), 29 with my second (high-end average to start), 49 with my third (mid-range average to start), and am at 45 this go-round with another 3-4 weeks to go. I figure ill lose it eventually. Lol.
February 5th, 2015, 08:49 AM
March 2015 DDC Co-Host
I am in the same boat as you! I lost 40 pounds last year before gaining it all back and THEN getting pregnant so I really want to get back on the workout train after LO comes. I also have a goal in mind because my SIL gets married at the beginning of October and I will need to buy my bridesmaid dress by May or June at the latest probably. But I still plan on trying to lose more weight after that.

I am hoping BF/pumping will help somewhat but I cannot completely rely on that because like you said, it doesn't always work for everyone. As soon as I get the OK from the doctor to start exercising again, I plan on taking LO for walks, going back to the gym (do you have a cheap gym nearby you could join?) and also, utilizing work out DVD's at home. I really like the Jillian Michaels ones. They are nice because they have 2 ladies who do the workout and one is a beginner and has modified moves and the other is just doing the regular version or sometimes the advanced one. I would look into those. I get them from Target.

Going to the beach in the summer sounds like a good goal for you to have in mind. But definitely ease into a workout... you don't want to overdue it.
dwhite23 likes this.

Mommy to DS Age 2

Baby #2 is Due February 2018
February 5th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
sweetpea0505 likes this.

Last edited by dwhite23; March 22nd, 2017 at 02:23 PM.
February 5th, 2015, 09:28 AM
March 2015 DDC Co-Host
Oh yeah, there are TONS of ideas out there as to how to lose the weight. I might look into a belly band as well. I went into this with the mind-set to be cautious of my eating habits. I don't really like that whole "eating for two" notion. Yes, you technically are but only to an extent. The baby is small and doesn't consume as much as a full grown adult. So by justifying a 75-80 pound weight gain by saying "Oh but I'm eating for two" just wasn't going to cut it for me. I have been eating what I want but not in excess. I don't usually go beyond my 3 meals a day either minus some small snacking sometimes.

I asked the doctor last appointment about my weight gain and she said it was only at 18 pounds so far which I don't think is too bad because I also was overweight to begin with. I don't plan on jumping in hard core with working out because I want to enjoy my little boy as much as I can but I also can't wait for too long to get started either. Diet will be a key factor in this as well.

Mommy to DS Age 2

Baby #2 is Due February 2018
February 5th, 2015, 09:31 AM
jamieliz205's Avatar Super Mommy
Last time the weight just kind of took care of itself over the course of a few months for me. I attribute this mostly to breastfeeding and walking. As soon as my body was capable, I remember that I did a lot of walking around. I took DD for walks in the stroller, and tried to stay on my feet when I could - even just for household chores and stuff. But I swear, for me personally, most of it was due to breastfeeding. My baby was eating a ton, and so was I, but I could feel my body burning every calorie that went in. I just tried to make healthy choices about what was going in, rather than limiting amounts.
February 5th, 2015, 10:22 AM
adson's Avatar Super Mommy
I gain during last two pregnancies 50 -55 pounds and lost everything at 4-5 months pp,this time i gained 45 and i still have 7 weeks to go,so it will be the same amount of weight at the end. After birth i watch what i eat and i think ebf is helping a lot.

February 5th, 2015, 10:36 AM
EvaJane67's Avatar Super Mommy
I plan on doing a high fat, low-carb diet and see how that works with nursing. Works really well for me as long as I don't crave sugar too much. Before I got pregnant I was on a version of that and was at a great weight and exercise routine. I'm doing fine, but I've gained about 35 lbs so far and weeks to go. As for exercise, I'll do a lot of walking plus weight training/strength training and hopefully yoga to get back to pre-preg fitness. I've kept up my exercise but man the extra cellulite is depressing.

February 5th, 2015, 11:59 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Breastfeeding is all I do. I'm back down to my regular weight within 2 months and even less by 4 or 5 months pp. I do have to go on a special breastfeeding diet that cuts out dairy and nuts and fat because those foods upset baby's stomach.

Nichole
February 5th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Veteran
I am hoping that breastfeeding will also help this time around. I also plan to go on walks as much as possible, and get back into the gym as soon as I get the all-clear. Until then, I will probably try to do some post-natal yoga / exercise DVD's, and join a post-natal exercise class or two.
Missed m/c 3/2010 (~9w)

February 5th, 2015, 02:48 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar March 2015 DDC Co-Host
After DS, around 3mos, I kicked into high gear with my food intake. With my body its calories in/calories out. So I went to high protein, veggies and fruits. No carbs. Not even "good" ones like sweet potatoes. I went back to the gym 5-6 days a week doing an hour of cardio, about a hour of legs or arms (alternated every other day) and about an hour of abs daily.

I gained 80lbs with DS...30# came off by 4wks PP and remaining weight was gone by his 7th month.

With DD, I didn't expect BF to lend itself to me in the weight loss way. I actually felt starving most days and super fat cause I felt like all I did was eat. But lo and behold, I had lost 30lbs in addition to about 15-20lbs I lost from delivery (I didn't lose as much as I did with DS). And that was with no exercise or special eating. Just BF. Sadly, I never lost the rest of the weight and gained some back =( So I was super overweight when I got pg this time around.

This time, I'm hoping BF helps out again BUT definitely will have keep in mind better eating & exercise. My body loves being fat so it does not give it up easily.

February 5th, 2015, 04:49 PM
MindySue's Avatar Regular
I have an amazing jogging stroller that I plan on using as much as possible and evenetually I will jog with it...but at the beginning I will just enjoy spring weather and hopefully get my husband or a girlfriend to go with me.

Then I guess just trying to eat as healthy as possible. I don't want to diet like I used to because I would just eat less, but I want to make sure I can continue breast-feeding and help my baby grow healthy (which eating healthy myself is really important).

I agree, looking good in a bathing suit this summer maybe shouldn't be a goal...
February 5th, 2015, 06:03 PM
deaths final kiss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bfing helps a lot. And cutting out all yummy sugar/junk. I also walk tons/work out at home like crazy as soon as I can. With #2 I had my abs back after 2 months, but couldn't lose the thighs/butt for about 7. With #3, my stomach took longer, but my butt/thighs shrank in a few months. I'm scared this time, since I have a Diastis, and spd/si problems and can hardly move. I'm sure this will be my biggest battle this far. I'm really dreading it since summer is so close.

Angels 3-27-04 9wks, 6-2-14 8w5d
February 5th, 2015, 09:58 PM
MommyofAngels1985's Avatar Super Mommy
I finally weighed myself for the first time since delivery on Tuesday, so two weeks later, and I was down 15 pounds. I think its just from all the running around daily at the hospital, pumping and lack of eating from stress/being down.

Mommy to Abigail Sarah Louise, 1-20-2015

February 6th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Veteran
I swear by Weight Watchers! I joined when DS was 5 months old and lost about 80lbs! I plan on joining again very soon after DD is born!

February 6th, 2015, 07:02 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been eating a lower carb/high fat diet this pregnancy and it has really helped me not to blow up like I did last time. I don't feel like I've gained any fat this pregnancy so hopefully the weight will just come off on its own once baby is born, but I was a bit overweight to start with. Hopefully continuing this diet will take care of that.

February 6th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Annalise's Avatar C's Mommy
I am thinking about it too...we are going to the beach in July. I'll just get my tank-ini and cover up ready! Funny enough we will be right back at the place where this new baby was made!

Last time BF'ing actually made me stay bloated and plump feeling. When I quit nursing and got my periods back I felt myself slim down quite a bit. Almost could feel my metabolism kick back in when I stopped. I think everyone is different but most importantly just watch what you put in your body. And be easy on yourself! Growing a human is a lot for a body to go through.

February 7th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy

February 9th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Super Mommy
I have been thinking about this, too. With DS, it fell off on its own (this was 9+ years ago!) with DD, it took about a year to get back to PP weight. This time around, I am going to try to make exercise a priority, working out at the gym if possible, but if not, then doing stuff at home. I will also watch what I eat.. not diet at all, but just try to make healthy choices overall. I am not going to rush it, it will happen, and I don't have time to worry about it, but it will be nice to fit into my pp clothes eventually

February 9th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search