To breastfeed or not to breastfeed that is the question!

Forum: January 2017 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By amberj90
  • 2 Post By monicuddle
  • 1 Post By Eva L.
Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2017 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2016, 01:17 PM
BBB3's Avatar Veteran
LOL. So, just curious.. will you be breastfeeding or formula feeding?!? I formula fed both my boys, I was young when I had them and was nervous about having to return to work and how I would pump at work, etc.I did nurse my youngest a few times in the hospital but my nurse was extremely impatient with me so I just gave it up and gave him the bottle. They had my IV in at the bend of my arm and so when I tried feeding him it would pinch the IV and make alarms go off.. lol I think I am going to try breastfeeding baby this timeÖ Iím still nervous, what happens when I return to work? Iím thinking of maybe just nursing for the first month or so, that way when I return to work she will be weaned from the boobie and good with formula? Thoughts? Suggestions? Should I do both and alternate?

Baby # 3!!!
It's a girl!!!
05/02/16:
05/12/16: Quick ultrasound to peek at baby, saw heart flicker.
05/25/16: 1st official OB appointment & ultrasound. Saw baby bean and heard HB. HB was 120. DD 1/14/16
06/23/16: 2nd OB appointment & ultrasound. Saw healthy, happy, bouncing baby. HB 146. Blood drawn for Harmony Test.
07/03/16: Harmony results. All normal chromosomes! It's a girl!!!
08/15/16: Anatomy Scan! Happy Healthy Baby Girl! Measuring right on track at a little over 1/2 pound!
July 7th, 2016, 01:47 PM
amberj90's Avatar Veteran
I will be formula feeding. I don't have any desire to breastfeed and never have. It's just not a big thing to me. That being said, I think if you're curious about breastfeeding you should definitely try it. I would hate to be curious, but then not try it and regret it later. The worst thing that could happen would be you don't enjoy it / don't want to anymore and switch back over to formula.
BBB3 likes this.
July 7th, 2016, 02:07 PM
BBB3's Avatar Veteran
True, I just gotta keep reminding myself that there is no pressure... If it works, it works, if not.. o-well.

Baby # 3!!!
It's a girl!!!
05/02/16:
05/25/16: 1st official OB appointment & ultrasound. Saw baby bean and heard HB. HB was 120. DD 1/14/16
06/23/16: 2nd OB appointment & ultrasound. Saw healthy, happy, bouncing baby. HB 146. Blood drawn for Harmony Test.
08/15/16: Anatomy Scan! Happy Healthy Baby Girl! Measuring right on track at a little over 1/2 pound!
July 7th, 2016, 03:19 PM
FTM here so I don't have any past experience to go off of, but my plan is to start with breastfeeding and if it works for me, fantastic! And if it doesn't, I'm not going to beat myself up over it and I'll move over to formula. I will also say that I work from home so I know that simplifies things when I do have to go to work.

I say try it out but be ready to be flexible if necessary.
July 7th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Veteran
I breastfed for 2 weeks with my first, got mastitis and was told by my doctor to quit, so I switched to formula which she didn't take to well at all. It's something that's bugged me for years so I wanted to breastfeed my next and we made it a whole lot longer than I was expecting-18 months. I quit when I found out I was pregnant with this one. I definitely hope to breastfeed again this time around.

There's nothing to say you can't give combination feeding a go. Formula when you're not there, breastfeed when you are. Whatever works for you.
July 7th, 2016, 06:50 PM
NorCalMom's Avatar Super Mommy
I tried BF with both of my kids. It didn't work out so well. I didn't produce much milk, and both kids would scream in hunger after hours of trying. I would pump for the first 2 weeks, and then give them bottles with the breast milk, but my kids wanted more than a couple of ounces a day, so I supplemented with formula, and then eventually went to all formula after 2 weeks. I felt horribly guilty with my first child, but now realize that whether you BF or give formula in bottles, it really doesn't matter. There are so many other, more important factors, to raising healthy and intelligent children. I'll try again with this one, but most likely, I'll go right to pumping and then move onto formula early again.
Preterm labor Jul 2016
DD #2 Due Oct 2017
July 7th, 2016, 08:20 PM
monicuddle's Avatar Veteran
So I'm going to give you a different perspective LOL - I breastfed my daughter. At the hospital, i was told not to introduce bottles or binkies until at least 8 weeks, as this could cause nipple confusion. So I followed orders (as I always do LOL). Well, by 8 weeks, my daughter was HOOKED on the boob. She would not take a bottle to save her life. This made "date nights" a distant joke of a memory, and it was impossible for me to go anywhere without her. Couldn't even leave her with her daddy for more than an hour without risking total meltdown.

At six months old, we found out she has a severe milk and peanut allergy. I tried to continue with BF, but I was constantly worried that I might ingest something with dairy in it and then pass it along to her. So I decided it was time to switch to formula. Well, she was having none of it. We actually ended up playing a game of Chicken one day for...8.5 HOURS. That's right, she refused to eat for 8.5 HOURS!! Finally she took the bottle, and I didn't dare ever look back. But it was a horrible ordeal that went on for a total of about 2 weeks before she got back to a normal feeding schedule. She's fine - didn't waste away or anything. But yeah...this new baby will be combination breast/bottle fed from the get go. And if he/she doesn't like that, then he/she will go straight to the bottle!!
Leila7780 and yvee80 like this.
July 7th, 2016, 09:06 PM
Leila7780's Avatar ~Gabriel's Mommy~
I want to try breastfeeding. I wasn't at all interested with my son, but I want to see how it goes with this one. HOWEVER, no one will tell me not to give my baby a pacifier because, I'm going to give him or her a pacifier. My son got one the day he was born & by 2 and a half we had successfully weaned him from them.

I hope I can be successful at breastfeeding, but I'm not the kind of person who is going to put myself down because it doesn't work out. A fed baby is what matters.

Mom to Layla, 12.28.2016; Gabriel, 9.30.2010; Stepmom to Athena, 2003 & Ethan 2005
July 8th, 2016, 11:55 AM
ShericeP's Avatar Veteran
I breastfed my son for about two weeks. This time around I want to breastfeed at least 6 months to a year
July 8th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Super Mommy
I breastfeed my son for about 2 weeks but I did not produce enough milk. I should say I pumped for two weeks. He had alot of latching problems. he did get some from me but I would always make a bottle right after. We ended up switching to formula and I felt so guilty about it. I will try to breastfeed this little one but if I need to do formula I wont feel guilty this time.
IVF #1 May 2014, 21 eggs, 16 fertilized w ICSI, 9 survived to day 2
Transferred 2 2day embryos had to do assisted hatching due to e2 levels
7 frosties
Beta #1 162.9 6/13/14
Beta #2 517 6/17/14
EDD 2/21/15
09/02/2014 its a boy
Kade James Born 02/01/15
4lbs 6oz
18 inches long

FET #1 April 2016- Transferred 2 2day embabies on 4/21/16
Beta #1 248 5/2/16
Beta #2 596 5/4/16
Beta #3 9142 5/11/16
U/S 5/13/16 Twins!!!
U/S 5/17/16 One healthy little bean no baby in 2nd sac
EDD 1/9/17

7/28/16 its a boy
Kaulder Charles
Born: 12/20/16
5lbs 12oz
19.5 inches long

July 8th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Veteran
I breast fed my first son for 9 months, then found out my supply was not keeping up and he wasn't gaining enough so had to supplement with formula. He bulked up really fast after supplementing.

My second son breastfed until 14 months.

I plan on exclusively breastfeeding this time around as long as all goes well. My advice for those who really want to try it this time around is to not give up. The first two weeks are the hardest. I remember bawling because my nipples hurt so bad and he wanted to eat AGAIN so soon after the last feeding. Lanolin after every feeding helps so much and it doesn't last forever. Most hospitals have lactation consultants that can give you a free consult. I went to see one when I was having a hard time getting him to latch. If you think your supply seems low, fenugreek worked wonders for me and I noticed a huge increase in supply by the next day. There is definitely no shame in bottle feeding at all and it's wonderful to have for those who need or want it. But if you really want to make breastfeeding work, go for it! There is lots of help available.
yvee80 likes this.
July 8th, 2016, 01:28 PM
BBB3's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for the advice ladies! I feel better now, and decided I'm just going to give it a shot, if it works then fantastic.. if not O-well, at least I will know I gave it a shot

Baby # 3!!!
It's a girl!!!
05/02/16:
July 11th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Regular
I will breastfeed. I had struggles in the beginning with my son, but made it 25 months with him!
July 11th, 2016, 07:46 PM
amberj90's Avatar Veteran
Props to all you who are doing it, It sounds like it takes a lot of work and a lot of patience. The latter being something I don't have a lot of.
February 5th, 2018, 04:24 AM
It's defiantly worth a try breastfeeding is very good for baby and you and any feeding at the breast is beneficial, some women breast feed initially and either mixed feed or swap and I would encourage everyone to try and see how it goes. Good luck in what ever you decide

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search