Anyone know anything about baby swings?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JNIEVES

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2016 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2015, 06:02 PM
ChibiCheekies16's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm on the hunt and this is overwhelming and a little bit maddening.

I had a baby swing before, It was the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders. It had lights, music, relaxing ocean sounds, 3 ways you could rotate the seat, you could recline the seat. It was wonderful. Someone gave me their old one with a BRAND NEW MOTOR top so it was like a brand new swing when I had it and I loved it through two children.

Then gave it away to be loved and used in a new home.

Here is how amazing it was: (only link I could find as they no longer sell it) Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Cradle Swing - Walmart.com

I don't want to settle for anything less than what I had. I like the light show. I like the simplicity and sounds. I'm looking forward to something that has an A/C connection that doesn't just rely on batteries.

The market seems to be flooded right now with so many options. I'm set on the features that I like and I know there is SO MUCH OUT THERE.

Does anyone know anything about these or have a good swing to recommend?

I want lights and music and a quiet(ish) motor and I like the reclining seat. I don't necessary want an attached rocker or bouncer (otherwise the Graco Duet options look fantastic) or the ability to hookup my ipod, but those seem to be options with what I am finding:

The Ingenuity Inlighten Series is nice but it has this overly fancy iPod setup that could be convenient? But also weirds me out: Ingenuity InLighten Cradling Swing - Piper - Ingenuity - Babies "R" Us

The Fisher Price Starlight Swing is nice looking too, but I don't know if anyone has used this or what they thought of it. I would trust the Fisher Price brand based on how great my last FP swing was. Also digging the stars: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-P...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Here are a few sites I've been digging through the comparison reviews for (if they are of any use to anyone else who is also in the same boat)
Discover Top Rated Baby Swings - Reviews Ratings 2015

The Search for the Best Baby Swing | BabyGearLab

Best baby swing: The expert buyers guide | Parent Guide

10 Best Baby Swings

The Best Baby Swing

In all honesty it would be great to just be given one of those hand crank swings from the 90's. I remember using one for my baby sister and it was fantastic. Technology is so cumbersome.
October 20th, 2015, 06:01 AM
michelle_m's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had both a papasan style swing and one of the smaller portable swings. One daughter didn't really care for either. The other, who was ridiculously hard to get to sleep, hated the bigger papasan swing and loved the little portable one. We kept the latter and will try it out before anything else. Honestly, from firsthand experience and from what I've heard from others, it may not matter what features YOU want because babies seem to come out with a predisposition for certain swings or none at all. The only swing I've heard of that seems to get a nearly universal positive response is the 4moms Mamaroo seat. Technically not a swing, though it sways. They look a bit like space pods. I've heard numerous mothers swear by them. They are super spendy new, though. I've been watching Craigslist for them and you can find them used for $100-$150. I'm sure since you live in/near a city, you could, too. I'm holding off, though, until we see how baby boy does with the small swing.
After 2 years of infertility, IUI #3 with Clomid 75mg brought us twins.
E and N, born 6 weeks early but healthy, 1/11.
5/14 to 5/15 - TTC #3 for 1 year, then started Synthroid.
5/13/15 - Natural BFP. Chemical Pregnancy.
6/10/15 - A second natural BFP. Due Feb. 21st, 2016.

October 20th, 2015, 06:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle_m View Post
The only swing I've heard of that seems to get a nearly universal positive response is the 4moms Mamaroo seat. Technically not a swing, though it sways. They look a bit like space pods. I've heard numerous mothers swear by them. .

It's ironic that you say this as both myself and my girlfriend had no luck with the mamaroo...her son and my DD hated it. The first time I put DD in it she got all bug eyed and started screaming like the cat was clawing out her eyes...I tried it one other time with similar results... This same mamaroo also went to 4 other families before it found a kid that liked it.

DD had a traditional swing that she did OK in...she mostly preferred to chill out in a bouncy seat with the vibrate function...which was even better for me since it was portable and I could take it from room to room.
ChibiCheekies16 likes this.
October 20th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Veteran
Both my kids hated the swing. Sigh. Wish I had a suggestion for you. Ours was a Graco but it didn't have any lights.

My kids actually really both liked white noise much more then music.
October 20th, 2015, 08:14 AM
michelle_m's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNIEVES View Post
It's ironic that you say this as both myself and my girlfriend had no luck with the mamaroo...her son and my DD hated it. The first time I put DD in it she got all bug eyed and started screaming like the cat was clawing out her eyes...I tried it one other time with similar results... This same mamaroo also went to 4 other families before it found a kid that liked it.

DD had a traditional swing that she did OK in...she mostly preferred to chill out in a bouncy seat with the vibrate function...which was even better for me since it was portable and I could take it from room to room.
That's funny. I had two friends who swore by it and at least one mother in my other PR. Not a huge population, but they made it sound like a miracle. I have to say, your results play to my suspicion of any baby toy that's so high-tech. I usually think that's a big snake oil signal. But my friends almost had me convinced. It would be nice to try it out before buying.
After 2 years of infertility, IUI #3 with Clomid 75mg brought us twins.
E and N, born 6 weeks early but healthy, 1/11.
5/14 to 5/15 - TTC #3 for 1 year, then started Synthroid.
5/13/15 - Natural BFP. Chemical Pregnancy.
6/10/15 - A second natural BFP. Due Feb. 21st, 2016.

October 20th, 2015, 10:44 AM
ChibiCheekies16's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNIEVES View Post
OMG this has me totally LOLing at work. Poor baby. hahahahah I can't stop imagining that instant reaction though. One of my kids was like that with a GlowWorm toy we got her for her first Christmas. Screamed bloody murder instantly. It's awful but it's totally cute.

I've seen a lot of Mamaroos for decent prices on Craigslist (I scour it regularly for good deals) but it is just too high tech for my preferences. I'm not really comfortable putting my baby in a device that hooks up to my phone or the Wifi in the house. It just weirds me out. I also don't like the idea of getting my baby hooked to my iPod images for 'fun'. Screen time recommendations for infants and small children are very low.

My girls didn't have a problem with the swing I had at all. They weren't really into the bouncer vibrating seats and I found it to be an inconvenient baby device. I don't really use the small rockers either. We have a bunch of handmedowns coming our way and we might end up with one and then it will be an option, but I didn't want to go out of my way and pick one out for myself.
October 20th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
We had a Fisher price one very similar to the Starlight one you show, and while we liked it well enough it was only battery operated and my kids have ALL been swing babies, which means lots of batteries or lots of charging of batteries. We are still currently looking for a new swing. too

Ashley (02/18/94) Rhiana (08/20/02) Tierney (05/23/04)
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) Devlynn Grace (02/05/2016)

October 20th, 2015, 02:56 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I had a cheap battery operated Graco one. DD1 and DS didn't care for it much. DD2 napped in it with only a certain white noise sound for like 5 months. I got so tired of the sounds and changing the batteries that I sold it at a yard sale. I ended up with a friend's swing that plugs in and has the little star lights. We'll see how it goes

January 10th, 2018, 03:21 AM
Yep!

If you are looking for best and safe baby swing brand, then this may help you.
Graco and fisher-price are the most popular brand in the marketplace right now.

These brands provide you various options like size (small, medium, large), plugin options(batteries, AC adapter), swing type(head to toe, side swings) and much more.

Nowadays most of the baby swing covers toys lights and sound features, but only few can provide you the assurance of safe and comfortable baby swing.

Here some of the best baby swings that I can suggest you.(i found it helpful maybe it can be beneficial for you also.)

Slim Spaces Baby Swing –By Graco
Graco Duet Soothe Swing and Rocker
Glider LX Gliding Baby Swing - By Graco

Find out more about this products here:https://top10bestbudget.com/kids/best-baby-swing/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search