Log In Sign Up

Can someone help me with our taxes?

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,986
My fiancee was the only one to work this past year ('09) he worked at his job until April and was laid off then he began receiving unemployment. He is also going to school full time since the lay off and since he is unable to find a job. He received the Pell grant which paid for his first semester and second semester classes and he just started receiving military funds which is called the G.I. Bill. We have two daughters but are not married. How will this effect our Income tax and will we have to pay in? We are struggling now with him in college and I am HOPING we won't have to...

Reply With Quote
January 19th, 2010, 02:14 PM
sunnyc212's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 8,526
Send a message via Yahoo to sunnyc212
It's unlikely you will have to pay in unless your income is unusually high, but I can't say since I don't have all your info. He may qualify for credits like the EIC and such depending on income levels and whether he is the one to claim the children and you. The first $2400 of unemployment is not taxable for 2009, but anything above that may be. Your best bet is to plug everything into a tax calculator ( turbo tax, hrblock, and all the big internet sites have them for free). It will give you an estimate of what to expect. You should receive forms for the unemployment and possibly some of the education expenses. Education expenses may qualify for credits as well if you paid any with loans or out of pocket money. Pell grants and GI bill monies don't count for those.
Cindy (Me) and Mark (DH) Parents to
Jamie Deborah Diane born 11/27/07
Alyssa Noel born 12/16/02 and Kaitlyn Marie born 05/27/10

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0