Log In Sign Up

How many have needed a c-section because...

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2008, 02:33 PM
usmc_princess's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 456

I made a similar post about this subject over on the L&D board, but wanted to make a special post here concerning c-sections specifically. (Plus it seems as though posts get answered a little better here than on the L&D board sometimes.)

I am wondering if any ladies here have had a c-section due to unprogressing labor and the baby being face up?

I'm 37 weeks and at my doctor's appointment yesterday an ultrasound showed the baby is face up. He has been this way for a good while (because I can tell his position hasn't changed based on the movements and bumps I feel on my belly) and I'm not 100% sure he will change to being face down in the next couple weeks. Granted, I definitely understand that he can change is position at any time including during labor itself... However I want to explore all my options and situations so that I am best informed whether he decides to change his position or not.

I know that ladies can deliver babies who are face up (even though it may be a little harder), but my doctor did let me know that sometimes labor will stall out with these babies and they do end up needing to be delivered by c-section.

I personally want to do whatever it takes to avoid Pitocin... I know, I know, some people think I am crazy for being more acceptable of a c-section than Pitocin, but I just do not like the things I have read about the drug and do not want it in my system or for my baby. My other concern is that even if I did take the Pitocin that my labor would still be unprogressed and I would still need a c-section... That annoys me because if I need a c-section anyway then I have just added a drug to my body and my baby that was completely unjustified and unnecessary. (Hopefully that makes sense to someone... lol...)

So I'm curious as to how many ladies here have ended up needing a c-section because the baby was face up and labor didn't progress? How far into the labor did you get before a c-section was decided on? Was anything else attempted before the c-section was decided on?

Any comments/suggestions/opinions/stories about this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ladies!
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
Reply With Quote
July 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 1,905
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Yes, my first was "sunny side up", as the Dr so eloquently put it. LOL. We had no idea he was in that position until after the c-section. My water broke about 10:30AM, and my contractions started at about 11:30. I never dilated past a fingertip after about 10 hours of labor, even with pitocin. So the Dr decided a c-section was the best route.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

Reply With Quote
July 16th, 2008, 06:33 PM
4wildflowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 3,175
Send a message via Yahoo to 4wildflowers
My first baby was also sunnyside up and his delivery ended in a c-section, partly due to my labor stalling.
I had gone into the hosp. when I was a couple days past my dd, so my doctor could ripen my cervix with prostaglandin gel. I was supposed to go home, but my bloodwork came back positive for pre-eclampsia, so they admitted me. They gave me pitocin and I labored for 30 hours before finally having a section. I don't believe that my doctor knew before I was admitted that baby was face up. I had really bad back labor (be prepared for that). The nurse was checking me and I could have sworn hearing her saying something about "I think this baby is facing the wrong way" ... but it was never again mentioned around me. I developed a fever during labor and was given meds for that. My doctor was great and wasn't impatient in the least ... he never once mentioned to me I might a c-section. The next day he was off shift and wished me the best of luck. The new doctor came in finally, abruptly told me my labor had stalled (I was only at 6 cm and apparently had been for several hours) and that I needed to have a c-section right then. I was in such pain, and so exhausted I was like "whatever... let's go!" ... but looking back he never gave me the option. I mean within 5 minutes of meeting him they were wheeling me back to the OR. When Jake was born they said he was face up.

When I saw my doctor again at my pp checkup, the first thing he did was apologize for me having a c-section. I got the impression had he stayed until I delivered, he would have let me go as long as I needed to have a vaginal birth (assuming all was well with me and the baby). He was very encouraging telling me his wife DID deliver a face up baby vaginally, and it was very tough for her... but said there was no reason I couldn't have a VBAC in the future. Of course by baby #2, the laws changed on that.

Anyway..sorry for the ramble. But yes, my labor stalled apparently b/c my baby was sunnyside up, so I was given a section. I have heard many successful vaginal deliveries of babies that were posterior. I think a lot of the time it has to do with how willing the doctor is to let the mother's body do what it can do, without setting a time limit (and also of course, how well baby is handling labor).

Best of luck to you, and KUP!

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

Reply With Quote
July 16th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,676
With my first baby baby I was going no where . It probably did not help that I had a tipped uterus.
Reply With Quote
July 16th, 2008, 07:32 PM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,541
Sam was face up and I went all the way and pushed for an hour. In the end he was tangled in his cord and that's why he didn't move down the birth canal and he couldn't be turned. I had terrible back labor. Unfortunately because he was caught in his cord it was being compressed when I pushed causing his heartrate to drop. He couldn't have been delivered vaginally but I think he was face up because of being caught in the cord, he couldn't turn. I wish you the best of luck and I hope your baby turns. My OB didn't seem to think there would be any problem delivering him face up though he did try to manually turn him which he couldn't.

Reply With Quote
July 16th, 2008, 10:46 PM
usmc_princess's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 456
My OB didn't seem to think there would be any problem delivering him face up though he did try to manually turn him which he couldn't.[/b]
How do they attempt to manually turn them?

I appreciate all the info I have gotten so far, thank you.

I think my biggest worry is being in labor for hours and hours on end without any kind of progress. I understand it is not something you can always rush, but I hope that it doesn't take forever before a doctor says "Ok, this isn't going to happen". Granted I definitely understand that having a vaginal birth would be best, but if a c-section is going to be the only option then I'd rather not wait forever before it is decided upon. I mean, if that is going to be the possible end result anyway then lets just do it and get it over with. Although my hospital does require at least 2 hours of non-progression before a c-section will be considered in cases like this (obviously not if there is an emergency or a known problem ahead of time). So I do plan on having to wait and see how things go... But I hope that if things don't progress and aren't looking promising that we can just go ahead with the c-section rather than waiting hours and hours with no progress.

I'm also concerned about his stress level during all of this if I do have to wait... Although I do realize they will move ahead with the c-section if he becomes too stressed which is nice to know... But, again, I just hope we don't have to wait that long if it can be seen ahead of time that things probably won't progress. Kind of like I could see a doctor coming in and going "Things aren't progressing... We're going to give it another few hours and then consider a c-section." I can just see my mind going "Well, why not just do it now and get it over with?"

I'm also worried that my refusal of Pitocin will cause me to have to wait longer... Like they are going to say "Ok, you don't want Pitocin then you are going to have to deal with all of this longer" rather than saying "Well, if you don't want Pitocin then a c-section might be your only option."

Based on his position and from what I have read about giving birth to a baby who is face up, I have decided to go with the epidural especially if things go unprogressed I don't want to be in intense pain for that long waiting. However I am concerned about just sitting on the epidural waiting for things to progress... Does the longer you have to be on the epidural have any serious effect on the baby?

<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
Reply With Quote
July 17th, 2008, 06:05 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Lonestar State
Posts: 50,214
If you don't care either way, you could just opt for a planned c/s. Of course there are more risks, yada, yada, yada, but it's your choice, and recovery from a planned one is easier than one where you've already had an intense labor.

I don't know which L/D boards you've talked to. Have you talked to the natural birthing ones? If you can hold off on pain meds, you may be able to walk around or try other positions during labor to help things along. Being on your back for several hours isn't going to help anything. You can always just get a spinal for the c/s (which is what most planned ones use anyway rather than an epi).
Reply With Quote
July 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM
usmc_princess's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 456
If you don't care either way, you could just opt for a planned c/s. Of course there are more risks, yada, yada, yada, but it's your choice, and recovery from a planned one is easier than one where you've already had an intense labor.[/b]
Honestly, if I could opt for a planned c/s I definitely would. Unfortunately that option isn't available for me because I am delivering in a military hospital. They don't like to do c/s unless they are necessary and do not let people opt for them just because they want one. As I said, even to where, in my case I will have to labor for at least 2 hours non-progressed before they will consider a c/s (unless of course it is an emergency)... That is just their policy. But believe me, if I could opt for one I would... If the baby stays face up during my next appointment or two I will ask again to be sure though. I did ask a while back (before anything was known about the baby being face up) so I don't know if him being face up now will allow me to opt for a c/s or not... So I will have to ask again and see if I can get a different answer.

Yes, I have read up on natural birthing and all of that... And infact was planning to give that idea a whirl until I found out the baby was face up. Then with everything I have read about how hard it can be, how much more painful it is and how it can stall out I just don't think I can deal with trying to go natural through all of that. I am going to try my best to avoid the epidural as long as I can though either way... But I do think in this situation I will opt for the epidural because I just cannot see myself having to deal with at least 2 hours of unprogression without pain medication from what I have read about laboring with a face up baby.
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
Reply With Quote
July 17th, 2008, 06:18 PM
PrincessBiscuit's Avatar Regular
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: America
Posts: 96
Both of my babies were sunnyside up.
My son wouldnt descend into the birth canal and went into distress so I had a c/s. My dd was a repeat c/s but she had the same thing going on so even if it was safe for me to vbac her, it probably wouldnt have worked.

Most babies do turn from sunnyside up during delivery though.

If you have an anterior placenta youre more likely to have a sunnyside up baby that wont turn.

2 angels
DS (3) and DD (2)
Me & DH are two of a kind working on a full house

Reply With Quote
July 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6
4wild - That sounds a lot like my story. I went into labor with dd and was at 10 cm within only a few hours. However, she was "sunny side up" (apparently that IS the tech. term as all the dr.s seem to use it...) so the coming out part was not as easy. I was in labor for about another 8 hours - They tried the Pitocin, but still no little angel. Finally after 23 hours total, I had an emergency c-section.

The funny thing was that I had been at my dr.s only days before and she said the baby appeared to be in the right position. I guess she did a little dance at the thought of coming out because she moved around quite a bit.

I was going to try a VBAC with ds, but he was almost 2 weeks overdue. He didn't get a chance to be sunny side up - he was an "I can't be pregnant any longer c-section."

Good luck & get some sleep!!
Reply With Quote
July 22nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 643
I was induced and pushed for almost 3 hours before deciding to get a c-section. I knew the baby was head down, but I never had an ultrasound to know that he was sunnyside. After 3 hours of pushing I was given the choice of forceps, vacuum, or c-section. I chose the c-section because it was the only guaranteed choice where I could get him out safely. My induction was started on July 14th at 10:30 am, and the baby was born at 10:32 am on July 15th. In the end my dr said I made the right choice because she felt that the other options probably wouldn't had worked in the end. Dealing with the recovery was a little hard at first, especially since this is my first baby and both my DF and I have little experience with babies. It was definitely the best decision I made though because I now have a healthy son!

Reply With Quote
July 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
mommaluvs2730's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wasington
Posts: 8,886
Ive had two csections so far but the second was because of the first. My first cesection was because of her not dropping enough. I pushed for 2.5 hours and pretty much nothing happened and her heartrate was dropping a little. Both sections went well and so have the healing process. Except this one is a little harder probably because Im not allowing myself to heal properly.

Reply With Quote
July 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NE MS
Posts: 9,524
My first was sunny side up but after 4 hours of pushing and with the help from the doctor and forceps I had her vaginally......

My second I was induced but knew I would probably have to have a csection due to preeclampsia and due to the fact that my cervix was not favorable..........They put me on pitocin and cervidil and still nothing................so I had a c-section

Reply With Quote
July 24th, 2008, 11:53 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,765
This will be long but I'll try to give you all the info that I had.

About a week and a half before going into labor I found out that dd was sunny side up. I tried techniques on spinningbabies.com and went to a chiropractor for the Webster technique. It didn't work but I don't think I started early enough. It was past 40 weeks at this point for me.

I went into labor on my own at 9 am when my water broke. Looking back, I think she fell into a different position from posterior (I can't remember the name but I've seen it before) when my water broke. Labor progressed fine, was very painful, but I didn't have back labor. When I got nearer to 10 cm the nurse was trying to turn her. I'm not sure how because by that point they gave me stadol and I was on another planet. But she was down there doing something to get dd to turn. Labor never stalled, but when I got to the pushing stage I was at it for almost 3 hours (this brings us to about 9 pm) and dd's heartrate began to drop and not recover between contractions. I had an epidural at that point, slept for about another hour, and then tried to push again, but it didn't help and then that's when we decided on the c-section.

If it were me, I'd try the webster technique and the stuff on spinning babies to get your baby to turn before opting for a c-section. But it sounds like that's what you want anyway, so you could just relax and see what happens when you do start labor. Pitocin might not be necessary, you could wait to go into labor on your own and you might not stall. Different positions can help turn the baby (hands and knees being one of them). In my case I think my recovery was much worse because I had labored and pushed for so long, but I'd still do it again to avoid another c-section, which hurt much much worse.

Try not to put too much stock into what might happen. Every labor is different, and you never know, you might go into labor and your baby turns and you have him/her in 4 hours. Once it's happening you're kind of caught up in the moment and not planning it out. I think the most important thing is to ask some of these questions to your doctor and see what he/she recommends, write a good birth plan with every contingency and make sure your support person and doctor know it, and keep an open mind. Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Reply With Quote
July 24th, 2008, 02:59 PM
mothra's Avatar Martha
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,906
i'll have to ask again at my 6 week PP check up next week, as it's all kind of a blur now, but i'm pretty positive this was the reason for mine. i had a 40 hour in-hospital labor with pitocin and pushed for 3 hours at 10cm, and i remember it was decided that the baby was somehow stuck...something about my pelvis being shaped funny and the baby's head being in the wrong position. i'm assuming he was "sunny side up". it can totally be done vaginally but from what i understand sometimes it's not worth the risk, what with tearing and stress to the fetus.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0