The story of my heterotopic pregnancy

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Addaboy's Avatar Veteran
I just thought I'd put this all out there for anyone who wanted to reference on it or just follow up:

1-23-11- 10 dpo- IC pregnancy test was questionable
1-24-11- 11dpo same result on IC, took EPT digi, "PREGNANT"; hcg 21
1-26-11 HCG 65.13
1-28-11 HCG 125.33
1-31-11 HCG 614

On Feb 2nd I started spotting. Dr did an u/s & found nothing "suspicious". pregnancy symptoms were not as present
2-2-11 HCG 707

2-4-11 hcg 562 & pregnancy symptoms are non existent at this point
2-9-11 hcg 526.45

On Valentine's Day I had heavy bleeding & I passed a sac (it looked like a deflated balloon & was as big as the other 3 m/c's I had, so I know for sure it was a sac.)

2-17-11 hcg 1172

On 2-22-11, I had SEVERE pains & cramping in my abdomen, & a little to the right side. After being persistent with drs who put me on the back burner, one agreed I needed to do another hcg & see if my #'s are going down.

2-23-11 hcg 1431.70

2-24-11 The dr called me before 9am & said that I needed to do an u/s ASAP because even after having the m/c my hcg #'s continued to rise. We need to find out if one of the following is happening:
-heterotopic pregnancy
-some pregnancy tissue was still trying to make it's way out
-there is a twin stuck in my uterus that is either still living but will not make it or if a twin has passed but is unable to make it's way out

The u/s showed an ectopic pregnancy in my right tube.

Because of the severe pains I had a couple days prior, our fear was that my tube had actually ruptured (if those pains didn't occur, she could have offered to do injections which would dissolve the pregnancy- they would do another u/s to make sure it had dissolved later & take action from there if needed). So, it was best to do an emergency surgery to be on the safe side.

At this point, I thought to myself, I know my luck- I have the worst luck & those pains I had just HAVE to mean my tube ruptured.

I had my surgery to remove the ectopic Thursday, 2-24-11.

I had to do all this registering, they had to get me put in the system as I literally had to be penciled in. I got an IV put in & I was wheeled down to a holding room. The anesthesiologist came in to talk to me & go over some things. He said I will have pain in my shoulder because of the gas but he will take care of that. The dr came in to talk to me. I told him I was very confused as to how I could possibly have an ectopic pregnancy when I m/c'd on the 14th. Is it possible that I could have been pregnant with a baby in my uterus & also one in my tube? He explained that this is called a heterotopic pregnancy & is very rare & that he really thinks this is what happened to me.

After he left, they injected meds in my IV to put me down. I felt its effects right away, getting lightheaded. I even said to my husband, "wow, I can feel it working already"

I gave my husband a kiss & I was wheeled off to the ER, I was out.

I woke up about an hour & a half later with warm blankets on me & feeling no pain, I just really felt tired. I remember I asked if they were able to save my tube- YES - (It did not rupture). Oh, the relief I felt was just undescribable (even though I was still out of it). The surgery went just as planned. It was a laparoscopy surgery, so they made an incision in my belly button & another directly below that, along my c-section scar.

I was wheeled back into my room, but I don't remember this part. I remember as soon as I got in the room my husband & girls came in to see me.

I did not ever feel that pain in my shoulder, so I guess the anesthesiologist did a great job.

The girls kept asking me questions & I was still not 100% with it. I was getting annoyed so DH took the girls home & told me to call when I'm ready (which was all of 20 minutes later- he knew they were ready for me to go).

The nurse said I had to pee before she'd let me go. So, I said let's go now & get this over with. The walking to & from the bathroom caused some discomfort in my belly button. I told the nurse it wasn't bad pain, just discomfort. She offered strong meds, but I said I really think I don't need anything strong, so she gave me some Motrin & in about 30-45 minutes it kicked in & that was the last dose of pain meds I had after surgery.

I felt some discomfort in my belly button within the 1st 48 hours. It wasn't constant discomfort, more like when I moved too fast & when I walked. It felt more like a pulling sensation, it could have very well just been the bandages pulling my skin.

The worst pains I've had since the surgery were gas pains in my abdomen! O-M-G!!! I seriously tried to breath & scream/moan through them & it did nothing, I probably sounded like I was in labor! I never filled my percocet script & I never took any pain meds, just Gas X last night as yesterday was the worst with the gas pains.

I took it easy & laid around & let my husband & girls wait on me hand & foot.

I emailed the dr who confirmed my ectopic & updated her that I was ok & they were able to save my tube, etc. I also asked her if she felt that I had a heterotopic pregnancy & she said yes.

1-27-11 This morning, I was able to take a shower. I literally felt a difference in my body 48 hrs after the surgery (like the pulling feeling in my belly was almost non existent & I was able to move quicker). I do recover fast from my surgeries, I am usually up & moving around the day of my c-sections so I figured it would be the same thing. However, because the incision is higher than a c-section, you can fell every step & move pulling from your belly button. So, it was a bit different as far as recovery- then again I do take the percocet the day after a c-section & I didn't with this- maybe THAT's the difference. lol

I can be up & about today, though I'm just going to take it easy & start doing what I can with my normal routine tomorrow.

I have a follow up appt with the dr 2 weeks post-surgery.

So, this cycle gave me 2 more angels. I have 5 total now. I will get to see a high risk dr now. I'm just waiting for the referral papers to call.

Please feel free to ask me any questions. I'm happy to help.
February 27th, 2011, 08:21 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry for your recent two losses. You have been through so much. Praying for your healing. ((((hugs)))))

February 27th, 2011, 08:30 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
That is an amazing and tragic story. It is interesting to hear that these things happen...I am a scientist so I like information. My prayers go out to you at this time.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

February 27th, 2011, 09:18 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I am so glad you are doing so well and they saved your tube. I hope you get the referral soon. Thank you for sharing your story.
February 28th, 2011, 08:42 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry you have had to go through all of this! I hope your next pregnancy takes you to holding you rainbow baby!
February 28th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I am so sorry for everything you have been through thank you for aharing everything in one place.
February 28th, 2011, 02:27 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
*hugs* Sorry for all you've been through.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
February 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search