Vit K and eyedrops

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2009, 12:36 PM
.adi.
What's the low down on these? What do you guys think about them?
May 27th, 2009, 01:05 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it is a very personal decision, and there is a lot of research out there. The gentle birth site is always a good resource.

The vitamin K is given b/c babies are born without vitamin K, which is a clotting factor. VitK is produced mainly in the gut, and newborns have a "virgin gut" therefore the so called defecit. Some believe that they need to be supplimented, Others feel that the defecit is normal. The shot is given submuscularly, through the leg, and is given at many times the amount that an adult would need. Some research has found minute links to childhoodcancers, specifically lukemia. However not having the VitK can mean a brain bleed. Both are very small possibilities. The bleed is more likely if the birth left brusing or the baby experienced trauma due to pulling with vaccume, forceps or hands. Many people only do the Vit K if there was some trauma. Others do oral vit K, or the BFing mother will take vitK to help her milk have more.

The eye ointment is an antibiotic cream that prevents a newborn getting eye infections or blindness from various STIs while passing through the vaginal canal. Many parents now are not giving this to their baby, or are delaying it till 30 minutes or more after birth so their baby can see. It impaires vision for about an hour, but doesn't seem to be otherwise uncomfortable. The concern parents have is generally about giving unnecessary antibiotics and bonding concerns.

May 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
we skipped them. The eye ointment is insane IMO. Some say that if baby has a lot of bruising or if it's a boy being circumsized that the K is a good idea. I am also a bit extreme as Cadie has never had a shot of any kind so take what I say as it is.
May 27th, 2009, 01:32 PM
seahorse_3's Avatar I have an oil for that!
I was going to decline both for my daughter but they went ahead and did the eye gunk after me telling them not to and I actually agreed to the Vit K shot because Summer had a hard time coming out and got a few good gashes on her head. Unless you have any STIs the eye stuff is pretty pointless and if there's no immediate reason to believe the baby is having problems with blood or injuries I can't see the point in that one either.

--
Nature is there for you.
dōTERRA. Ask me how.
May 27th, 2009, 01:59 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I declined the eye gook (i did have to do a pee test to test for chlamydia and gonorrhea) and opted FOR the Vit K.

May 27th, 2009, 05:09 PM
.adi.
Thanks ladies, that's good to know.
May 27th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Katy Moore's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with pretty much everything everyone else has says, but wanted to add some things. My midwife gave me the overveiw on them, and said that really, you shouldn't need the vit K unless you're circing a boy. The risk with bleeding in the brain she said normally wouldn't happen until weeks after the birth, and by then they're making their own vit K. For the eye gunk, she said that if you're GBS positive that you might want to consider it.

Check out my boutique! Baby Bottom Boutique

May 27th, 2009, 05:59 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you'rte circing at 8 days, as is the jewish customlaw- then the VitK is also unnecessary, as baby is making it by then also

May 27th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I agree with them. lol I will be doing Vit K for me, and I talked to hte ped about that and she is on board. Of course if there was a trauma I would do it them as well.

Eye goop I will be declining as I have been with the same person for over 10 years.. if I have somethign now.. he has some serious explaining to do! lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Navykay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm excited that you asked this! I've been looking into this and trying to decide. I think I'm going to decline both and take extra vitamin K for her to get in my breast milk.

May 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I declined the eye gunk, it seemed very unneccesary to us. After reading through some information on vitamin K, we opted out of that also. That was a much harder decision, there's good information for and against it, so I think that is up to you to decide.

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
May 28th, 2009, 07:14 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
truthfully, my biggest concern with the eye drops was that my baby would not be able to see me and bond fully right after birth.

Luckily I was in the right frame of mind when I was going to the OR to ask for waivers to decline the eye gook, Hep B and whatever other nonsense they do there.

May 28th, 2009, 08:14 PM
.adi.
I think I"ve decided that I'm going to decline the eye drops because there's really no point for us to do that but since Jamesen is going to be circ'd I'm going to get the Vit K but ask for the oral instead of the shot.

The eye was an easy decision once I started doing the research and the Vit K was a bit harder, but you guys helped me make my decision, lol

THanks ladies!
May 28th, 2009, 08:46 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Sounds good!
May 29th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Glad you made a decision.

I said no on the eye ointment and no on the Vit K but when she got stuck and had to be tugged on pretty hard the midwife suggested that she get the K so she did.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
May 29th, 2009, 09:20 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Glad you were able to make your decision!

Just wanted to add something DH and I discovered while researching and trying to decide for ourselves.
We found that if breast feeding, K can be unnecessary because colostrum is very high in K...Too much K can lead to Jaundice, Hence the reason you hear of "breastfed Jaundice". (there were a lot more technical terms used, but that was the gist of it!)

We opted to wave them both, because we weren't going to be circumcising til the 8th day... But once BE was having complications, and being stuck like a little pin cushion for all the blood tests needed, we decided to allow the K (more because we didn't know what lay ahead of us, and thought if something more serious arose, it would be better for him to have it in his system).

Just for the record he didn't have one bit of jaundice til AFTER the K shot was administered on the third day! Now this is just my opinion, and I know a LOT of people disagree, but I don't think it was coincidental!

May 29th, 2009, 10:17 AM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Linden got both - Vitamin K and the eye drops. Linden was also severly jaundiced 2 days after birth and had to be under lights for 4 or 5 days. He also has had a constant eye infection since he was born, and am using the same drops to get rid of it. It works instantly!

May 31st, 2009, 11:20 AM
hdannels's Avatar Super Mommy
I just wanted to add, you might check with your hospital about their policies. I asked mine, and they told me the eye drops were required by Texas State Law, and I could not opt out of them I was quite disappointed, as I wanted to, but I don't have a choice on that one. The Vit K shot, however, is optional, so we will be opting out of that.

Special thanks to dettmer26 for my adorable siggy, and to jennifer13 for my perfect custom blinky!!

x6
May 31st, 2009, 12:32 PM
.adi.
I talked to the dr I saw for my appointment and she said since it's a military hospital, they have to give the eyedrops unless I get tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea no later than a week before delivery. so if i get the test and don't deliver within 7 days of that I have to get tested again.
May 31st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I'm in Texas and you can opt out, yuo just have to sign a waiver stating that you will not get them you do not hold them reliable for eye infection due to not getting it.

ok maybe I am wrong. I am waiving it, but I have a midwife, maybe its different since its not a doc???? Wish I could help more

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search