Log In Sign Up

My birth story

Forum: Natural Childbirth


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
Katy Moore's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Owosso, MI
Posts: 1,533
I'm not going to post this in the birth stories forum because I didn't get the natural birth I wanted, but I still wanted to share! I'm okay with the way that everything turned out, and I'm glad I made the decisions I made. I felt like I was fighting the on-call OB the entire way, and I'm SO glad my midwife finally got into town for the birth. I ended up getting the epidural after 20 hours of labor, I was exhausted. I'd only gotten about 2 hours of sleep the night I went into labor. And even after the epi, I still had another 8 1/2 hours of labor, I don't know how I would have been able to push her out if I hadn't gotten a few hours of rest. A few people have said that I'm lucky I didn't end up with a c-section, and I'm happy I didn't! Anyway, here it is.

On Thursday, the 28th, I started having contractions around 3 am. I had no idea what was going on, I kept waking up with hip and back pain, and would automatically go to use the bathroom, thinking that was the reason I was awake. After a few times of this I realized that I didnít have anything in my bladder anymore. I was still really groggy though, and just kept going back to bed. Around 5:30 I started listening to my Hypnobabies, thinking that it wouldnít hurt, just in case this was it. At 6:30 I got up to pee again, and felt a little bit of a gush, so I headed towards the bathroom. The liquid was a dark yellow, so I thought maybe Iíd just peed myself. This happened a few other times when I got up or down, so I finally realized that it must be my water. I saw little dark particles floating in the bottom of the toilet afterwards, and realized that it was meconium. :/ I called my sister and talked it through with her, and she didnít have much to tell me, so I called L&D. They told me that it would be best to come in, just to be safe. I was a little upset at this, because I wanted to labor at home for as long as possible, and I knew that my contractions werenít that bad. I could still walk through them just fine at this point. I woke DH up and let him know the situation, then let my mom know. We headed to the hospital to get checked out. At home the contractions had been 3-4 minutes apart, but they slowed down to maybe 5-7 minutes apart while we were in the car. The nurse that was assigned to me didnít think that it was meconium in the amniotic fluid since it was yellow, but after another nurse checked me, she told me that it was, but there wasnít a ton. They initially put me in the midwifeís special room to begin with, even though she wouldnít be back in town until later that day. After consulting with the OB on call, they decided to move me to another room that had a birthing bed with the stirrups. I thought that was a little ridiculous, since her only excuse was that I had meconium in the fluid, and it was a precaution (maybe she thought I might need to be rushed to a c-section). She checked me around 8:30 or so (my memory with times is really off, so forgive me, everything is a bit of a blur when it comes to the timeline) and I was 2.5-3 cm dilated, and 80% effaced. Baby was at a -2 station. The exam hurt like heck, way worse than when the midwife checked me at the office. The beginning of the day just seemed to fly by. I sat around the room with DH, my mom, and my sister Andi, just chatting and trying to pass time. My contractions were slowly picking up in intensity, but I could still talk through most of them. Because of the slight complications, they were doing monitoring for 20 minute intervals every hour and a half. It wasnít too bad, but I had to stay in bed. I told them no to the saline lock, even though they said the OB said I had to have it. I knew I had the right to deny any treatment. Since the baby still looked great on the monitors, I didnít see a reason to have it, but told them that if she started to not do so well, Iíd get it, just in case. By the evening the contractions were finally about 4 minutes apart. Things got really intense, but I was still doing really well, and not doubting myself at all. I was starting to think that transition was coming soon; I thought that I must be getting somewhere. The nurse checked me sometime that afternoon, and I was still only at 3 cm, no progress at all yet. I was definitely moaning through each one of these contractions, and even started yelling through them a little nightfall. By about nine I was really starting to doubt myself, the contractions were lasting at least a minute or longer, and felt completely out of control. All I could do was lay in the bed or on the birthing ball and cry. The nurse came in to check me again, and said I was still only at 3 cm, but I was now 90% effaced. I broke down and said Iíd get the epidural. I was so angry with myself, but couldnít see how I could possibly do it. Iíd already been in labor for 18 hours, and I could swear I was in transition. The contractions were terrible, uncontrollable, and I couldnít breathe through them anymore. I was having back labor this whole time, and I had no break between contractions. My lower back had a constant cramping ache to it the entire time between contractions, which were still 4 minutes apart. It almost felt like the contractions didnít end. I was so afraid that things were going to end in a c-section, and I just wanted my midwife there to control things. No one had heard from her yet, and we still didnít know when sheíd be back into town. The nurse told me that the anesthesiologist wasnít at the hospital, but she wouldnít call him until I was completely hooked up the IV and all the monitors. I thought this was some sort of cruel joke, and ended up getting the stadol through my IV. The anesthesiologist finally got there and got the epidural in at 11. Before I even went into labor, I had told myself that if I went to 20 hours (which I said laughingly, I didnít think it would happen) that Iíd get the epi and not feel bad about it, but at the time, I still felt guilty. I was dozing in and out of sleep most of the night, but I think I got about 2 hours of sleep. I had a blood pressure cuff on that kept taking my BP every 15 minutes, and I had nurses coming in to do random tests every once in a while, so I really didnít do much more than doze. My midwife finally got into town at eleven, and got to the hospital at 1. She came in and talked with me, and told me she thought I should get pitocin and antibiotics. I had told the nurses to hold off on the pitocin originally (and the nurse told me that she canít ignore the OBís orders, ***?), and that I really wanted to see what my midwife had to say about it, because I trusted her judgment more than the OBís. The midwife went to rest for a while, and said that I should know when itís time to push, so I tried to sleep again. At 4 or so I told the nurse that I could feel my contractions, but they just felt like Braxton Hicks at this point. I woke up again at 5:30 and let her know that they were painful, kind of like what I was feeling at the beginning of labor. She checked me and said I was 9 cm and 100%! I was SO happy. We woke DH and my mom up (they had both spent the night, but my sister went home because she had a baby to nurse). I also called my sister and a few other people to let them know it was almost over, and Andi came up to see the birth. The contractions were getting fairly intense again, even with the epidural (which I now said that I was completely okay with having, since I had such a peaceful night, and now saw how long I still had to go) and I had to really breathe through them. Andi finally got there right as I was starting to push, and my midwife got out all her gear. She had a tub of warm water with towels in it, and was using them at warm compresses to help the tissue stretch. When she was finally down into the birth canal far enough that I could feel her head when I put my hands down there, my midwife start massaging olive oil into the tissues to help them stretch and not tear. She finally came out, after a good hour and a half of pushing and 28 hours of labor, and was born at 7:42 am. She weighed in at 7 lbs. and 9 oz. and was 21 inches long. I only had one very small tear, which was on the inside and didnít require stitches. We named her Emelia Kay Moore, Emma for short.
Even though it was NOT the birth I wanted, Iím very okay with everything that happened. Iím VERY glad I didnít end up with a c-section. The night nurse told me later that sheís surprised I didnít, I gave birth 25 hours after rupture, and normally 24 is the limit. So Iím VERY happy my midwife made it in time for everything, and Iím glad I got the epidural. I was told that my labor could have been even longer if I hadnít gotten it. I canít say I liked the OB; she wouldnít listen to anything I said, and ordered things for the nurses to do to me without ever even asking me or looking at my birth plan. She wouldnít let me use the tub because I was ruptured, even though I already had the okay from the midwife, and any time I used that excuse, I was told that sheís the OB on call, so itís her word, not the midwifeís. Luckily, I only had to see her once, and dealt mostly with the nurses. So considering the fact that I was ruptured for 25 hours, needed pitocin to get things moving, my midwife wasnít there to help me, and I had an OB that wanted to start the monitors and IV with pitocin from the start, I think I was very lucky to have things end up as well as they did.

Check out my boutique! Baby Bottom Boutique

Last edited by Katy Moore; June 2nd, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
June 2nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,090
Congrats mama! She's a beauty.
You know, sometimes things don't work out the way that we want them, but in the end you got a beautiful, healthy baby and no c-section (which helps keep your options wide open for future births should you choose to have any more children).

Reply With Quote
June 2nd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Sunny in CO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,025
Congrats Mama! She's just beautiful!! Thank you for sharing your experience.

Reply With Quote
June 2nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,224
Congrats!! Thanks for sharing the story I'm so glad you didn't have to have a c/s and I think you did a great job!! Way to go mama!!!
Reply With Quote
June 2nd, 2009, 10:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 19,074
Congrats! She is beautiful!!

Reply With Quote
June 3rd, 2009, 05:52 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 17,089
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Congrats on your little girl. The pics are beautiful and i love the name Emma.

I know how defeating it feels to be told you are not making much progress. At 17 hours of labor, I was only at a 3 and I felt so defeated. When I got to the birth center i was 1cm, and after 12 hours i was only fingertip. By 24 hours I was 6cm and was positive I was going to be 8 or 9! There was a point at the birth center 20+ hours into labor, where i said to myself "i can see why some women get epidurals." My contractions were so strong and I had been laboring for so long, that I could see how most people would chose that option, especially after so many hours.

BUT you have your little girl, you had a vaginal birth, and you avoided a section. Trust me, that is truly something to be thankful for. I think you did great.

Reply With Quote
June 3rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: south eastern Mass
Posts: 13,088
congrats Katy, you did a good job protecting yourself, be proud!!
Reply With Quote
June 3rd, 2009, 07:52 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 6,085
Congratulations! Emma is beautiful! I'm sorry you didn't get to have your ideal and planned birth. You did a good job, though, Mama.

Reply With Quote
June 3rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 10,745
Congratulations Katy! She's absolutely beautiful! You really should be proud of yourself!

Reply With Quote
June 3rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 20,689
Avoiding that first cut is a HUGE deal, be proud that you stuck up for yourself where it really mattered!!!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
Reply With Quote
June 3rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,657
I totally know what you mean about being sure you were getting close to (if not in) transition and then being told you had made no progress. I kept thinking about all those birth stories I read where women were having so much pain and had been like a 2, then they get checked again and they are like an 8. I kept thinking that would happen for me but it didn't, they kept checking me and I kept on staying a 2 despite everything.
Don't feel guilty about the epidural, I also feel like the epidural saved me from a section...I didn't progress without it. 20 hours is a long time to go!!! I would know!!

Congrads girl!!
Reply With Quote
June 3rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,765
Sometimes when the baby isn't positioned right, it makes labor hell, so you have no reason to feel bad about getting an epidural! Interventions are a wonderful thing when used appropriately, and it sounds like you knew that and adjusted your birth plan to the situation. I'm so glad that you had the midwife with you, and your daughter is beautiful! Congratulations!

Reply With Quote
June 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,522
She is simply gorgeous! Congratulations!!!
Reply With Quote
June 3rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,290
Thank goodness you were able to avoid a c-section! Congratulations!! Your baby girl is beautiful
Reply With Quote
June 3rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
mom2bri's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 627
Congratulations she is beautiful. You are a tropper that is a long labor so more power to you. I am glad you are both healthy.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Reply With Quote
June 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 20,689
I wanted to add I got an epidural with my first vaginal birth and then was able to do it naturally with the others

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0