Log In Sign Up

The Birth of Theodore James (long)

Forum: Natural Childbirth


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 11th, 2010, 02:55 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 14,022
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
Several times i've meant to update everyone. I turn on the computer.... then fall asleep, lol. Motherhood is so new and demanding, i'm glad you guys were able to find updates!

My labor was very intense. Thank goodness for my husband and my doula, because i never would have made it without them. I am definatley NOT the poster child for natural childbirth, and to be honest, i'm not sure i would attempt a natural delivery again. Time will tell.

Two days before delivering, I was having bouts of contractions that were mild, but would eventually peeter out after a few hours. On Saturday, Oct 2nd, I had a huge nesting rush. I woke at 5am, and felt the need to clean our european oven before turning it on for the season. I spent 2 hours on the project. Took the doors off all the ovens and soaped down the enamel. Then crawled around on the floor trying to get the gas started. I started having contractions after that.. they were strong, but fizzled out. My cleaning binge continued, and i scrubbed the tub, shower, and sink.

The next morning I tossed and turned starting around 4 am. Just couldn't get comfortable, and seemed to have having contractions every time i rolled over. I got up for awhile, but they kept coming. I tried to return to bed, but by this point, they were too intense to be able to sleep. Around 8, I woke my husband, and told him that i was pretty sure i was in labor, and didn't plan on going to church. I labored at home all day. Went for walks, used the birthing ball, napped between contractions in the bathtub, and had visitors over for distractions. My friend Samantha came over, and was only over about a half hour, when my labor seemed to have taken a turn. Everyhting was suddenly much more intense, and i needed My husband to lean into and rub my back. I was becoming more vocal. Dh thought it might be time to call the hospital, but i didn't think so. I just really didn't want to be only 2 cm when i got there. At this point, they were 4 min apart and lasting about a minute. We called and ended up going in to be seen around midnight.

At the hospital I was found to be 5cm 100% effaced at 0 station, with a bulging bag of waters. At this point they asked me what my plans were as far as pain relief. I told them i was planning on going natural, and that my doula was on the way. The midwife was shocked, she didn't believe i was really in labor until she checked me. The doctor on call (who i had never met, and didn't particularly like) asked her behind the curtain, if i was ready for my epidural, and she said "I don't think she's gonna need one." That was a real confidence booster for me. I was then moved over to the birthing room. The doctor came in a little later to check my progress (which didn't make any sense because i had just gotten there). He reccomend that i let him break my water, so i progress quicker because he didn't want me to get tired. I christened him doctor barbie. He was young and blonde.... and pissed me off. I refused and said i wanted to labor on my own.

My doula arrived, and we immediately started walking, using the birthing ball, and trying many positions in the bed. She was great, and knew just how to press on my back to relieve the contraction completely. I ran into my friend Jenny in the hallway. (She's a fellow nurse) I asked her if they got a lot of women trying for natural births. She said flat out, no. People usually got the epidural as soon as humanly possible. She was impressed that I was walking around, talking to friends at 5cm dilated. My nurse said i really made her night, because she never got to help a woman towards a natural birth.

A couple hours later, things started feeling really intense, and i was wondering if i could make it. My nurse was clever though. When i started voicing curiosity about medication, she went and found someone to check me. I was 7 cm, and this gave me new motivation. The next hour was hard though. I was unable to sit now, as he was putting so much pressure on my back and tail bone. I paced back and forth, and was pretty agitated. I remember my doula was telling me how great i was doing, and i told her to shut up, and crossed the room to cry on my husband's shoulder. I kept begging them for medicine, but of course if the provider asked i still refused. I got so loud at one point, that the midwife came in to see if i was complete. I was 8cm, and i let her break my water at that point.

After breaking my water, i had instant pain relief. The pressure on my back was gone. I was pretty tired at this point so i continued labor in the bed, sitting up though, to make use of gravity. The contractions were more powerful. Somehow at this point, I started coping even better with them. I went inside my mind and met the pain head on and breathed through it. (It was odd, I didn’t actively use my hypnobabies during labor. But I did find myself using it here. When I blocked everything out, I found myself thinking “The stronger my pressure waves are, the closer I am to meeting my baby. The stronger they are, the more hypnoanesthesia is released into my bloodstream. Unortunatley this only worked when I was very still and concentrating. It was hard to stay in that place.) Everyone in the room says they had no idea what was going on, because i was not reacting in any way to anything. The only way they knew i was having contractions, was because the monitor told them so.

Here is where everything got screwy. Very soon it was 6:45am and close to change of shift. "Dr. Ken" was about to leave and wanted to check me. I was at -1 station, and 9 1/2 with an anterior lip. He had me push through it wish was a HUGE mistake. I then realized that i had complete pain relief with pushing..... and couldn't stop. The doctor asked me to stop… I just couldn’t. After that i was unable to get back into my "zone". I asked the doctor for some nubain, but he said I was too close to delivering, and that it would compromise the respiratory status of my baby. My nurse had to go home, and gave me a hug. She was amazing and ended up visiting me the next day. I met the next doctor (whose name i can't remember, but I really liked him) and he checked me, and encouraged me to try to stop pushing. I could not... The pushing was tiring me out though and i was starting to lose it. I was quivering all over and started vomiting. I knew the end was near... just not near enough.

I had been pushing a long time... and was starting to scream and the world, and begged for medication. Again, no one responded. Until the doctor came in again. He came in, I looked at him and screamed "Nubain, PLEASE!" He listened and gave it immediately. I finally gained some control back. I was able to relax between contractions finally, but still had the overwhelming urge to push. It didn't take the pain away... just somehow took the edge off i guess. I pushed for another hour... (a total of 3) and Teddy's head was on my perineum. And there it stayed. I didn't make any progress after that. I was discouraged, and so VERY TIRED. The doctor offered to help me with a vaccum delivery but I refused, and grew more tired and discouraged. When the doctor appeared a little later, I said I was ready to accept his help now. He was very kind, and I didn’t feel pressured at all… I just really needed it to be over. He and the resident carefully applied that vaccum, and in 3 pushes, Teddy was out. 7lbs 1oz, and kinda purple, but pinked up and screamed immediately after getting sucked out with the nasal aspirator. (or so I’m told)
I really don’t remember much. I feel like the world was crashing around me. He was out, and it was over. Sadly those were my only thoughts. I wasn’t curious about my baby. I easily pushed out the placenta. And then there was the very long time they spent stitching me up. (I had an episiotomy to accommodate the vaccum, though the doctor said I would have needed one anyway.) When they were done. I finally pulled my legs down…. They were so stiff from pushing, that I could barely move them, and I remember them being so painful. They tried to hand teddy to me, but I couldn’t bend my fingers are move my arms to well, because I’d been pulling on my legs for so long. I might have been apathetic in the beginning, but I remembered my priorities. I really wanted to breastfeed immediately. I fumbled with my bra, and he latched immediately. It was short lived though because the nurses were pretty much holding him for me because I didn’t have the strength. They handed him off to my husband. I was given some percocet and I just rested for an hour.

My body finally calmed a bit and I asked for my baby. He was so beautiful. It was like I was seeing him for the first time. I tried nursing him again, much more successfully this time. I was totally in awe that my body was able to do this. I was also feeling very humbled by my birth experience. I spent my pregnancy not being worried at all about labor and delivery, and I think not really respecting the process.

The majority of the first week, I was pretty traumatized. I was mad at myself for even trying to go natural because it was so painful. And then also mad at myself for making it so far, and having such a different ending than I had in mind. But as days went by, I started to have an epiphony of sorts. I returned to JM, and was checking to see how my DDC was doing. Everyone was talking about the complications from their epidurals, and being hospitalized for spinal headaches. I was immediately relieved. I may not have had the most satisfying birth, but It was definatley worth while and gave me and my son a great start. I healed very quickly. I was up and about. And my son’s first doc appt a lady asked if Teddy was 3wks old, and I told her 3days. She was shocked, and said “you look amazing for being 3 days post partum!” My episiotomy is already mostly healed, and I have no pain there. My only pain is sore muscles from pushing, and pain from a hemorhoid. In hindsight, I think I did ok.

Last edited by alicenwonderland; October 11th, 2010 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
October 11th, 2010, 03:40 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 816
Congrats Mama! You did great and you are right, even though it wasn't the most ideal and scerene endign it is so much better than complications from an epi gone wrong. You gave your son a great start! He's precious!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
Reply With Quote
October 11th, 2010, 04:17 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,376
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you're starting to feel a little better about your experience. Birth can definitely be overwhelming. It sounds like it was really intense, but you did great.

That's awesome Teddy is nursing so well and you're feeling good. He's really cute!

Reply With Quote
October 11th, 2010, 04:58 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 17,089
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
congrats Momma! You did well I had a birth center transfer and a c-section and could barely walk for 2 days, so yeah, you are doing pretty well, even though it seems like a rough delivery. Awesome job to you! Let's see some PICTURES!!

Reply With Quote
October 11th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,040
Congrats!!! So excited for you that Teddy is finally here! It sounds like you went through quite an ordeal, and you did an awesome job! I'm glad that you're feeling so well already.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11), Caleb (8/6/12) and Carson (10/14/14)Expecting #4 February 2017!!!
Life As We Know It
Reply With Quote
October 11th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 1,998
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
You are a rock star!!!! You only have ONE hemorrhoid after pushing for 3 hours? Geez! I had more than that after only pushing for 5 minutes!

I'm glad you are feeling better about your birth experience! Congrats on your healthy baby boy!
Married to Jay
CDing, extended BFing, naturally birthing Mom to:
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

Reply With Quote
October 11th, 2010, 08:06 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: outer space
Posts: 22,681
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
You did great!!! Congrats!!! I wonder if you had that much trouble going naturally, you may have ended in a c-section if you had been medicated. Enjoy your new family!
mama to 5 yr old DS1 , 3 year old DS2 , and nursling DD .
Reply With Quote
October 11th, 2010, 11:11 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey Girl trapped in the midwest
Posts: 11,042
congratulations!!! it definitely sounded very intense, but you did amazing!!! you are lucky to have had such a sweet nurse.
Jacqueline, mommy to Sarah Leveda (12/27/07)and Vincent Bradley (1/23/11)

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
Reply With Quote
October 12th, 2010, 07:29 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: south eastern Mass
Posts: 13,088
Alice, this was almost my exact story after I had Cadie. Labor was pretty quick at 12 hours and my lower back went crazy, from a pre-existing condition. I was totally floored by the whole experience. Everything went so fast, and then I pushed HARD for 3 long hours. I couldn't believe it, and I was very upset with myself. My doula had to remind me about a week later that I actually did wonderfully. And Vivian's birth was so much easier and better. I knew what to expect, and my body had done it before. My back was really manageable until the last 2 hours or so. I saw a chiropractor the whole pregnancy so everything was all lined up and I only pushed for 20 minutes, although it felt like less. Not to mention she was sideways when labor started (a whole month early) and she turned head down perfectly.

Please do not be hard on yourself, and keep in mind it *will* be easier the next time. But even if you don't choose a med free birth, you are well educated and stronger than you think!
Reply With Quote
October 12th, 2010, 07:43 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 4,037
Congratulations!!! 3 hours pushing, wow. I agree, you probably would have ended up with a c-section had you had an epidural. You did a GREAT job and I'm so glad you're doing well! I love that part of natural deliveries, I feel great even the next day.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
Reply With Quote
October 12th, 2010, 07:45 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
Aww congrats momma!
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
October 12th, 2010, 09:58 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 26,352
Congratulations!! You did a great job

Reply With Quote
October 12th, 2010, 10:52 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulare, CA
Posts: 13,686
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
U did awesome. Pushing for that long takes its toll I pushed for 5 hours with Thayden it was insane

Reply With Quote
October 12th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,287

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
Reply With Quote
October 12th, 2010, 11:03 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 37,585
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
You are a ROCK STAR! You did an amazing job! Do not be so hard on yourself! You truly did amazing!

Reply With Quote
October 12th, 2010, 01:48 PM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,154
Congrats on your new baby! Thank you for sharing your story!
Reply With Quote
October 13th, 2010, 06:30 AM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 2,058
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
Congratulations on your baby boy and thank you for sharing your story!
Heather, Mom to: Devon 17, Trevor 12, Bobby 10, Ryan 9, Breanna 8, Oliver 2
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
Reply With Quote
October 13th, 2010, 08:06 AM
jamie7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Blairstown, NJ
Posts: 2,594
Wow thank you for sharing your story! I really learned a lot from your experience. COngrats on your son and you did a great job, pushing for 3 hours wow!

Reply With Quote
October 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 6,085
Congratulations! You did a great job and Teddy is a cutie!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0