Log In Sign Up

Water breaking question

Forum: Natural Childbirth


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By Memi
  • 1 Post By daneeleigh

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2013, 09:29 AM
Memi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,513
I'm just curious what your thoughts are on this since this is how my first labor started:

How long would feel comfortable going after your water breaks if you still do not have contractions before contacting your midwife or going into the hospital?

I'm curious to see what you ladies personally feel comfortable with or feel is safest. I want to labor at home as long as I feel comfortable but since my first sign of labor last time was my water breaking, I'm wondering what my plan should be if that happens again and contractions do not follow suit. I have a time frame in mind but would love to see what others think. Of course my biggest concern in this given situation is going to the hospital and being given the all-evil Pitocin which I'm wanting to stear clear from at all costs!
Expecting #3 in January 2016!

Reply With Quote
April 23rd, 2013, 10:06 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: virginia
Posts: 7,949
This is a great Q! ... Me personally, if I make sure I'm not checked nor have taken a bath or done anything that could introduce infection, I think it's ok to wait 24 hours.. I may be wrong.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. But I'm pretty sure that is where my comfort level with just letting my water be broken and not contracting at all would run out
~Em, Married to Matt since 7/3/04. Mommy to Layla 3/29/06, Eva 10/18/08, Zeke 2/4/11, and Jonah 7/28/13

Reply With Quote
April 23rd, 2013, 01:17 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,971
I would be okay with 12-18 hours before heading in. Depending on timing (like for the other kids) and feeling her move around still. And I would prolly embellish the truth about when it broke when I got there. Or at least claim a bit of stupidity

My second started with water breaking...but we thought he was breech, so headed in to find out the "game plan." But if I had known he was head down, we would have waited until at least 10am or so the next morning (water broke at 8pm) before going in (unless labor was moving along).

I hope my water doesn't break this time! I liked contractions first much better.
keekopeeko likes this.
Reply With Quote
April 23rd, 2013, 05:35 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 14,600
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
A really good question! I've never had my water break early- either it was broken for me (hospital births) or it broke just about pushing time. I guess in the situation you describe, I would call my midwife and see what she advises.
~Jennifer, wife of one, mother of many

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

Reply With Quote
April 23rd, 2013, 08:10 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 5,906
Have you discussed this with your midwife? My course of action would differ depending on the Dr/Midwife's protocol and view of the situation. Baring no meconium or fever - If they are going to instantly put me on a clock and push pit, then I'd have to second Ashlee on staying home up to 12ish hours (if I lasted that long) and then fudging the truth when I got to the hospital; knowing they are likely to want to keep me in a 24 hour window.

I respect that the 24 hour window is advisable for a reason. Statistically your chance of fever/infection do go up after that time. My problem is when the care-provider starts pushing augmentation at the 12 hour mark, because they want to make sure you have delivered *by* 24 hours. Most moms need more time than 12 hours, yet if allowed to progress naturally there is a really good chance that they will deliver by (or around) 24 hours all on their own.

Of course there are safety measures they should take if your water has broken, such as fewer vaginal exams (you have the right to refuse as many of these as you wish) to decrease chance of infection. So it is important that the hospital staff know about the water breaking upon your arrival. How long you tell them it's been broken for is up to you

Reply With Quote
April 23rd, 2013, 09:13 PM
Memi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,513
I have and they like to stick to the 24 hour rule I believe (we discussed it a while ago so I'm honestly trying to remember). They're a fairly hands-off group so I feel as long as I'm low risk (and so far I am pending my BP cooperating during labor) then I know they'd be okay with me trying to get things moving on my own. However I do still prefer to stay home as long as I'm comfortable before heading into the hospital despite how labor starts so I'm trying to come up with a game plan I suppose.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.
Expecting #3 in January 2016!

Reply With Quote
April 23rd, 2013, 09:57 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,905
When my water broke with my last pregnancy (small break) I called my midwife because I had an appointment later that day, so I thought she might want me to skip and just come in when the CTX started. Nope--she wanted me to come in right away. She checked me and I was 7cm dilated, still not having contractions. We waited a few hours, and when they still didn't start (just braxton hicks) she gave me some herbs to strengthen labor.
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!
Check out the Attachment Parenting Board for Effective Parenting Solutions.
PM me if have questions about autism, TTC gender swaying, natural childbirth, going "vaccine-free", or if you are looking for gentle discipline advice.
Reply With Quote
April 23rd, 2013, 10:57 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,647
My water broke and I called my midwife immediately cause it had color otherwise I would have waited till morning. She told me since it wasn't green to stay home and come in 12 hours later at noon. She thought I wouldn't go into labor. I never made it to that appt, I had my son at 1138. My contractions immediately started though and I went to the birth center only 2 1/2 hours after it broke cause I was in pain. I didn't realize it was back labor making it that bad, I thought he was coming then lol.

I would stay at home at least 12 hours if you're managing fine. If you're delivering at a hospital they'll want to give you pitocin immediately so it's best to stay home. If my contractions weren't starting I'd probably stay longer and try to naturally get things going and just monitor your temp and fetal hb.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0