Log In Sign Up

My Birth Story

Forum: Natural Childbirth


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2007, 10:23 AM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: On Top of Mt. Laundry
Posts: 3,943
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Hi ladies. I had my third son 5 weeks ago, and while visiting here I lurked more than I posted, but since this was my second natural birth out of three, and we won't be having any more, I thought I'd share it with you.

It started on a Monday morning when I woke myself up and couldn't get back to sleep until I wrote out Hunter's (#! son) schedule for Kathy (my stepmom). It's not that I don't trust that she couldn't handle it, it's just that I would only feel better about the situation if I had it all down on paper for her to refer to, if need be. Once I wrote that out, I was able to go back to sleep.

Like we did back on July 26th, 2005, we dropped Hunter off at school and went to Wal-Mart to get some groceries for the week. The only thing different between now, 2007, and two years ago, was that my sister, Tiffany, didn't come down with Kathy. I had planned on calling her later to complain that had she been with us that morning, maybe my water would have broke in Wal-Mart again! LOL

The trip was uneventful, and through out the day I began experiencing more cramping, which now I know were contractions. With Devin (#2 son), the pain of my contractions was higher and felt more burning and vice like. This pain was menstrual type x2. I assumed it was the baby's head moving down there, or his fingernails clawing to get out, as I had been feeling a lot more in the past couple weeks. These were painful, but weren't close to each other enough for me to be concerned.

It was approaching 4:00 and Hunter's impending arrival home on the school bus when my water broke. Just like with Devin, I was going to go into labor the day after my family arrived! I honestly believe that my concerns of who I was leaving my boys with affected when I had this baby. Kathy had arrived, now I could get to it! I called my hubby and I think I interrupted something as he said, Can I call you right back, or is it time? I replied Yes, you better come get me. I took my time, taking a long, hot shower and double checking my bag before we left. By then the cramping had gotten closer and I started to feel it in my back, which concerned me as I feared the baby had turned itself around as I had read when babe's back is to my back, that's the cause of back labor.

When we got to the hospital, they insisted I be strapped to their monitor, blood pressure cuff and in bed for 20 minutes. I said I'd give them 10. My contractions had gotten only a few minutes apart and I did not want to be stuck in that bed. My doc was there and I did allow her to check me. I wanted to see how dilated I was and hear the position of the baby. I was 100% and about a 7 and the baby had not turned and thankfully the back pain didn't come back. After 10 minutes, I sent my hubby out to tell them I was getting off the bed. He had pumped up my ball and I went straight to rocking on that as I was past the stage of walking around comfortably.

My hubby was so wonderful. As I rocked on my ball and leaned against the bed pillows in-between contractions, he quietly offered me ice chips, mopped my sweaty brow with a cool washcloth during contractions, and rubbed my back and shoulders after. He kept telling me how wonderful I was doing and told me to keep focus on my goal; Is it a boy or a girl? He was so great. The few times I did open my eyes I would look upon the picture of Devin sitting on Hunter's lap at the Cub Scout awards night.

Suddenly I felt the urge to push while still sitting on my ball and climbed up on the bed. I had to stop on my hands and knees because that position felt so good! I rocked there for a little bit while the doc and nurses gathered around me. I had thought about giving birth in a squatting position, not on that darn hospital bed that has so become the norm for the DOCTOR'S comfort. Instead I sat myself down, with the back of the bed as far up as it would go, and I watched my son being born. Well, kind of. I kept my eyes closed most of the time as I dealt with the pain better that way.

Oh, boy did it burn! I was quite a bit louder than I had been with Devin. This labor was so much faster and more intense than Devin's was. It was like my body knew how much I wanted to see that baby that it was like a race to see who was ready the fastest, me or the medical staff! I had to hold back from pushing 2 TIMES! because they weren't ready! Finally they gave me the OK. Hubby told me to open my eyes, and there Bryce was, right on my chest!

They honored my request and cleaned him up and did their tests right there with him on my chest. I had planned on paying attention to what they were doing, but I was staring at his face the entire time. I didn't get my wish for a girl, but I had a baby right there in front of my eyes, and he was perfect! They did need to take him from me to weigh and measure him. Hubby took a video of that and I know my family and friends have all seen it as my web hosting company sent me a couple emails telling me my web site traffic was too high! LOL At 8 lbs. 12.2 ounces and 20 inches long he's the chubbiest but shortest of my baby boys!

While all that was going on, my doc was working with my uterus, trying to get it to expel the placenta and all that fun after birth stuff. She told me she was concerned that my uterus wasn't stiffening as it should and the amount of bleeding she was seeing. Since I had accidentally pulled out my hemlock (spelling?), which allows the quick start of an IV, she said she'd like to give me a shot of Pitocin to help my uterus do the job it was failing to do on its own. She massaged it for some time while waiting for the shot to kick in. Finally she said she was feeling a response and ceased the painful pushing and prodding of my belly. I tore only a little, so no stitches!

Finally baby Bryce was given back to me and the doc and nurses left. It was just Tim and I. We had been in the hospital for less than an hour before Bryce was born, two and a half after my water broke.

After my adrenaline slowed down and I was able to settle in the bed with Bryce, I realized how hungry I was. While I was in labor my hubby had quickly placed my dinner order for me before the cafeteria closed and the nurses brought it to me then after they warmed it back up. It didn't look too bad; turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy with some green beans and a chocolate brownie for dessert. But it would be another hour before I'd get to eat it.

I remember stabbing a green bean and saying to my hubby, who was holding the baby, that I felt dizzy. Hubby says that he asked if I wanted a nurse called, and he said my response was gibberish, then he said my face went white, I dropped my fork and my head fell back. He said he hollered for the nurse, didn't bother with the call button since our room was one room down the hall from the nurses station. My hubby has this voice that you can hear from anywhere, and I'm sure when he hollered for the nurse, nurses on the floors above and below us probably were looking for a room to respond to! LOL

When I came to I had an oxygen mask on my face, my bed was all the way down, and there were two sets of nurses trying to get an IV in each of my arms. Apparently the pitocin shot in my thigh hadn't done the job and my uterus was bleeding heavily again. They couldn't find a vein in my right hand, but they got an IV started in my left (leaving bruises from their attempts in both arms PLUS the one I gave myself by inadvertently tearing the first hemlock out!)

So they had to push on my tummy over and over again. It was so uncomfortable and they kept apologizing. And then that darn IV made me shiver uncontrollably and hubby requested some warm blankets for me. I did not want to be in that position when Hunter arrived, but thankfully I was able to be rid of the oxygen mask, but the IV, blood pressure cuff and my butt staying in bed were their orders.

Anyway - I ended up staying a second day in the hospital and was told not to do much at all the first week, and just a little bit more than that the second. They don't even want me to vacuum. But, of course Iím ignoring their orders as I have a house and an almost two year old I have to control, and Hunter still needs my direction in many things (he has autism).

I am feeling better, although I still feel pain in my groin area now and then, especially when I try to sit up and pulling my son around in the wagon made me sore again. But Bryce is nursing like a champ and has already earned the chubby and chunk nicknames! Although Devin gets upset when it's time to nap and I can't always lay down with him or when I nurse and he can't sit on my lap, although sitting on the arm chair makes him happy, he is getting better. Hunter, although very intraverted, is helpful when I need him to be and is spontaneous sometimes, like when the baby is fussy in his vibrating chair and he gently bounces him until I can take the babe.
Jump into Spring! BPAFreeKids.com wishes you good times and warmer weather!

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

Reply With Quote
June 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,090
Congrats and thanks for sharing your story! Glad to hear that the bleeding was controlled (eventually). Enjoy your new little one!

Reply With Quote
June 19th, 2007, 04:14 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Salina, Kansas
Posts: 6,665
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Aww, it sounds like you had a wonderful birth. I bled heavily with both of my babies, but a quick shot of pit did the trick for me. Im sorry that you continued to bleed
<div align="center">

Reply With Quote
June 20th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,401
Wonderful birth story! ~*Congrats*~ on your little guy

DD18, DD16, DD15, DS13, DN12, DS7, DD4, DD2

Expecting a surprise bebe - November 3rd
Reply With Quote
June 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM
Tofu Bacon
Posts: n/a
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0