Log In Sign Up

Lucy Mae 5/21/08

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2008, 02:43 PM
itsmenatalie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 3,805
On Monday, May 19 I went to my 40-week appointment with my midwives. I was dilated to a 3 and she said it could happen “any time.” Just in case, I made another appointment for Friday and the midwife indicated they would be willing to break my water then. I didn’t want it to come to that, but was glad to have an end in sight.

On Tuesday, May 20 I woke up at about 8:00 am and began having some contractions roughly 30 minutes apart. I was feeling them completely in my back, which indicated that the baby may have turned posterior just like DS was. I had been really careful during my pregnancy to stay sitting and sleeping in positions that would keep the baby facing the right way, but we had spent several hours in the car the last week and I’m guessing that did it. My mom put me in a position on the couch lying on my side with my bottom leg straight and the top leg crossed all the way over. I stayed there about an hour and when I got up I was much more comfortable and the contractions felt like they were all around instead of all in my back. I went out with my mom and DS to run some errands and every contraction I was sure would be the last one and labor would stop. The rest of the day was totally textbook. By noon they were 15 minutes apart and by the time DH got home at 5:00 they were about 9 minutes apart. We took a couple of walks around the neighborhood during which the contractions would get more intense, but when we got back they would slow a little. At this point we were all pretty convinced they were not going to stop. At 8:00 we called DH’s parents and asked them to come and get DS. My sister also finished work and came up to be with us since she was planning to attend the birth. At 9:00 I called the on-call midwife (Mary Kay Reynolds) and told her that my contractions were 7 minutes apart and I expected we would be heading to the hospital within the next couple of hours. She told me to come in when they were 5 minutes apart.

At around 10:00 DH’s parents got there to get DS and his brother and sister-in-law were at our house too. That made our small house quite crowded and I started to get to the point where I didn’t want everyone around. I was having to stand and rock through each contraction and they were getting more intense so we asked everyone except my mom and sister to leave.

By 10:45 everyone could see I was having to concentrate a lot more to get through the contractions. They were about 4-5 minutes apart and I would have to stand and rock my hips and breath deeply to get through them. They were painful, but I felt in control. We decided then to go to the hospital. On the way too the hospital the contractions were 3-4 minutes apart. It was more uncomfortable in the car, but I still felt like I could control the pain. Once we got checked in they put me in a room and this is where it all started to go haywire. The nurse informed us that she would check my dilatation and then observe me for an hour. If I had progressed in an hour they would keep me, but if I had not, they would send me home! I was sure I was in active labor, so I wasn’t too worried. She checked me and despite the fact that I had been a 3 the day before and had been having contractions all day she said I was a 3 ½. I tried not to be disappointed, but will admit that I was. I had to stay on the monitors for about 20 minutes and then we got up and walked the halls. After an hour I was pretty sure nothing had changed, and I was right. She checked me again and said 3 ½. At that point she said that they would send me home and I should come back when something changed. It seemed very strange that they would send someone having their second baby home when they are having contractions 3 minutes apart just because they aren’t dilating fast enough, but I guess I didn’t feel like I was in a position to argue with her, so we left.

The nurse offered me an Ambien to take to help me sleep some and I took it just before leaving the hospital. It kicked in very quickly. I remember a little bit of the drive home but I don’t remember getting there and getting into bed. I do remember waking up about 20 minutes later feeling disoriented and in a LOT of pain. The contractions were coming much stronger. I told DH I was having a hard time and he asked what he could do. I asked him to take all the blankets off the bed since something about the sleeping pill was making me feel claustrophobic. At that point I started shaking really bad and couldn’t stop. We yelled downstairs to my mom that I wasn’t doing very well and she came up. She immediately realized that I had progressed very quickly and we had to get back to the hospital fast. Less than 1 hour after being sent home, we were headed back. While my mom was helping me get ready to go my water broke. She looked at DH and said, “Get towels, start the car, open the garage and let’s go NOW!” Somehow they got me out to the car, and on our way. From the time my water broke until the time we got to the hospital it seemed like one big long contraction. I kept saying “It’s not stopping.” DH did a great job driving us through the rain storm and my mom just sat right behind me telling me to breath.

When we were just a few blocks from the hospital I informed DH and my mom that I was “Not going to do this any longer” meaning that I had decided to ask for medication as soon as we got to the hospital. I had reached the point where I was sure I couldn’t take any more. My mom’s response was, “You won’t have to.” because she knew I was nearly done. As we pulled into the hospital parking lot I let out this unearthly groan. It wasn’t a scream or a yell, but a deep, loud groan. Apparently that’s pretty normal, but I didn’t feel like it was coming from me! It just felt like the only thing I could do. We pulled up to the doors and DH went to get someone with a wheelchair. They didn’t take me too seriously until they heard the noises I was making at which time they started to RUN. I think we scared the crap out of a few people in the hallway. There were nurses coming from everywhere and all running to my room. I started stripping off my clothes as soon as I saw the bed, which was really funny. I must have somehow known this was it. The on-call resident sat down at the end of the bed with me (no time for my midwife to come) and told me she needed to check me. Then she looked at me and said, “Your baby is Right There.” Now, I remember when DS was born and I had been pushing for 45 minutes people kept saying, “He’s right there” and he really wasn’t, so I looked at her and said, “What does that mean?” She looked back and said, “Just a couple of pushes and your baby will be here.” I had gone from 3 ½ cm dilated to complete in less than 2 hours.

I was in a really good sitting position with my knees up, just like I had wanted to be. At that point I remember feeling a lot of pressure and some burning. I know I gave one push, and then I just felt like I wanted to wait. Everyone in the room was really quiet (afterward they told me that her head was already half way out) and they just let me wait. The next thing I knew my body very gently and very naturally pushed her the rest of the way out with absolutely no effort from me. Honestly, it felt good. A few seconds later there was another little push from my body and Lucy Mae was born! She was really tangled up in the cord (around her body and arms) so the doctor untangled her and then they put her on my stomach. I remember thinking she looked blue, but they all said she looked good and she pinked up really quickly. I immediately noticed that she had a full head of dark brown hair and was just beautiful. Officially she was born at 2:38 am on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 and was 7 lbs, 12 oz and 22 inches long.

Lucy picked up nursing like a champ right away and nursed the whole time they were taking care of me. I had one tiny little internal tear that the doctor did just a little stitching on. I was bleeding more than they like so I received a shot of pitocin and also something else (starts with an M…) which apparently did the trick. When we were moved upstairs DH went with Lucy for her evaluation in the nursery and then they came back to our room to do her first bath so that I could watch. After that, they gave her back to me and we spent the rest of the early morning nursing and cuddling.

Even with all the drama, I can’t complain about Lucy’s birth because everything turned out well in the end. I was able to accomplish a lot of my goals for the birth (laboring at home as long as possible, avoiding unnecessary medical interventions and medications, being in charge of my own pushing) even if they weren’t completely the way I had planned. In talking with a few other people, we have heard that my hospital has over 900 women due to deliver in July and we’re pretty sure that they had put into place some type of specific protocol on who can stay and who gets sent home. We also heard that the very same night another woman was sent home and came back within a couple hours, so hopefully that protocol will be changed.

I am totally in love with my little girl and DS is taking to her very well. DH is so cute with his daughter and we feel like she was always a part of our family. I couldn’t ask for more.

Natalie - Mom to Brad (Oct 2005) and Lucy (May 2008) and married to my best friend, Joe for 8 years.

Reply With Quote
May 27th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Posts: n/a
Wonderful story! She is just beautiful.
Reply With Quote
May 27th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
Posts: n/a
she is beautiful and I cried through your whole birth story! im so emotional!
Reply With Quote
May 27th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 19,074
she is so beautiful! her hair is so pretty! wonderful birth story as well!

Reply With Quote
May 27th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 650
What a beautiful story. Congratulations!

Reply With Quote
May 27th, 2008, 05:23 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,522
She's gorgeous! What a wonderful story. Congratulations to your family!!!
Reply With Quote
May 27th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Posts: n/a
What a great story! Lucy is absolutely beautiful.
Reply With Quote
May 30th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Beaverbank, Nova Scotia
Posts: 19,417
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
Popping in because I like to do that

Marsha's Girlfriend

My Kiddos
Chloe (14),
Benjamin (9)
Logan (6), Kaitlin (3)

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0