Log In Sign Up

Emme Claire

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 6,494
I woke up on Monday (5/26) at 5am having contractions about every 10 minutes. I knew this was "it" because the contractions felt very different than the BHs I had been having for months. I tried to stay standing or walking to get them to pick up because I really didnt want them to stop. I was already 5 days overdue and ready to get things moving. I woke up Shea about 8am because I was really just excited that today was going to be the day. (He didnt believe me when I told him today was it). The contractions had started coming about every 7 minutes at this point. I was still feeling good walking around the house and sitting on the birth ball. Whenever I would sit or lay down they would space way out so I walked and walked and walked.

Around 10 I decided to call the midwife and let her know what was going on. She told me to call back in an hour because I still sounded pretty comfortable. Even though the contractions were now about 3-4 minutes apart and lasting about a minute I was able to deal with them just fine. I thought things would be picking up pretty quick but I was wrong. The contractions stayed coming this way as long as I was standing or walking. Whenever I would sit down they would start spacing back out. I knew baby was still high so I started squatting a bunch and using the birth ball. We called MIL/FIL to come and get the girls because I really wanted to concentrate on these contractions. I started leaking what I thought was my fluid so I called the midwife back to let her know. She told me to go ahead and come in and get checked.

When we got there she checked me and I was 3 cm dialated and about 80% effaced. My waters were still intact but she said I was leaking a bunch of cervical mucous. The Friday before I was barely 1 cm dialated and not effaced at all so she was convinced this was it. She sent us to the mall to walk for 2 hours and then told us to come back. Walking at the mall didnt really help much. It was memorial day and everyone was off work and shopping so I felt really tense and uncomfortable walking through the mall with contractions. We went back in 2 hours later at 3 pm and I was dialated to a 4. Slightly discouraging but I figured as much since I was so uncomfortable at the mall. I was GBS positive so I got my first dose of antibiotics and walked around outside. Unfortunately whenever I would sit down my contractions would slow way down so I still had to keep walking. My feet were killing me at this point but Shea and I kept walking. An hour later I was at 5cm. I tried a breastpump to see if I could get the contractions to pickup but nothing was really working so I kept walking and squatting and walking and squatting. At 7pm I got my last dose of antibiotics and we decided to go ahead and break my waters since I was 7cm dialated and getting really tired.

I got in the birth tub afterwards and thats when I finally started having real contractions. These were still spaced a few minutes apart but were hard to deal with. I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom and everyone thought I needed to push but I really needed to go to the bathroom. So up we went. I started screaming for help after a couple of minutes because I could not deal with the contractions on the toilet. We got into the bed and she said I was 8 cm. At this point I was flopping around on the bed like a fish out of water. I had completely lost my focus and what I needed to deal with the contractions. I started screaming for medications and everyone kept telling me to try to push. The midwife said she was moving the rest of my cervix out of the way. I couldnt get ahold of myself long enough to push. I started getting embarassed that I couldnt deal with the contractions anymore. I needed to have a bowel movement and they told me to just go ahead. It was kind of embarassing but I was not going back to the toilet and I knew I needed to go. I had lost all focus now. I was not prepared to deal with contractions this strong. Everyone was just looking at me and there was nothing they could do to help.

Finally the midwife told me that the babys heart rate was dropping from being in the birth canal so long and that I needed to get her out now. My mom grabbed my face and told me to push her out now. So I ended up with my legs being held in the air and I was pushing so hard. I never got that urge to push. So I just pushed everytime I took a breath. They were telling me to wait for a contraction to push but I couldnt even feel when I was having a contraction. It all felt like one really long contraction. Shea kept trying to encourage me by saying he saw her head and it was full of black hair. He kept saying that I was so close. I was screaming so loud and the birth assistant was trying to get me to redirect my energy to pushing but screaming actually made me feel better and I dont think I could have stopped if I wanted to. Shea was suppose to catch her but the midwife soon found her shoulders were stuck and had to maneuver her out. At this point I had quit screaming and was working on pushing. My mom said she was pulling really hard on her and blood was pouring out everywhere. My mom actually lost her balance and my sister had to catch her. Shea said he was starting to cry. I honestly didnt know what was going on because I was working so hard on pushing. When her body finally slid out it was such a relief and thats when I saw how blue she was. I held my arms out but the midwife held on to her and kept rubbing her back and face with a towel to stimulate her to breathe. She let out a little whimper and they were satisfied and handed her to me. She was born at 8:14pm so I really didnt spend that long pushing. (Shea said about 20 minutes.) She was 8 pounds 7 ounces 20 inches long with a 14 inch head. (When her head popped out the midwife said "somebody ate too many pancakes" LOL).

Emme's birth was scary towards the end but Im still glad I had a natural childbirth. I feel I gave her the best start in life that I could. She was so alert all night long (LOL) until the next day and was breastfeeding within the first hour of her life. We went home about 3 hours after she was born and piled into bed. I couldnt stop staring at her she was and is so beautiful. My little Emme Claire.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
Reply With Quote
May 29th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 10,745
Congratulations sweetie!!! I'm so proud of you and glad you were able to deliver her naturally. It sounds like it was really tough but you are sooooo strong! Way to go!

Reply With Quote
May 29th, 2008, 10:21 PM
whodatmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: louisiana
Posts: 4,164
Thank you for sharing her birth story. Quite a labor day you had! Congrats on your new bundle of joy!

Reply With Quote
May 29th, 2008, 10:36 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: south eastern Mass
Posts: 13,088
wow, sounds intense! I feel your emotion reading this so much! I too had some serious issues with the bathroom, for me it was early on while I was still home but I thought I was going to lose my mind over it.

Congrats on getting through it without any meds. I hope you are proud of yourself!! How are you feeling?

Can't wait to see pics!
Reply With Quote
May 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Posts: n/a
It's great to read your story. Though intense, all ended well. Congratulations mommy! I'd love to see pics of the beautiful babe.
Reply With Quote
May 30th, 2008, 10:41 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,522
Congratulations Sarah! I'm so proud of you for getting through those scary times and having the natural birth you wanted. Can't wait to see pictures of your beautiful little girl.
Reply With Quote
May 30th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 650
Wow, you did it! Congratulations! I can't wait to see a picture of her. Your story is an inspiration for me.

Reply With Quote
May 30th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Beaverbank, Nova Scotia
Posts: 19,417
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
Popping in because I like to do that

Marsha's Girlfriend

My Kiddos
Chloe (14),
Benjamin (9)
Logan (6), Kaitlin (3)

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03
Reply With Quote
May 31st, 2008, 05:09 PM
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 447
I usually just lurk on this board, but I had to pop in to say I loved your birth story and it was very inspiring. I'm sitting here at my computer w/ tears in my eyes! Congratulations!!! I can't wait to see pictures on her of your little Emme, she sounds beautiful!!!

Reply With Quote
May 31st, 2008, 06:05 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
Posts: n/a
you did awesome!!! congrats! Its hard work but its so worth it and you are right you gave her the best from day 1!
Reply With Quote
June 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,576
WOW! I love it! I am so proud of you!

Its so funny, b/c I had the same experience with going to the bathroom lol. I remember around 7 cm or so having to go - and it just KILLED me to sit on the toilet! I dont know what it was. I went pee a few times & had a few bowel movements in that hour, and OMG, just the sight of a toilet hurt lol. And then laying on the bed to get checked - ugh, another painful move lol. The water was by far the best.

I say next time - just stay in the water lol.


My BBT Chart

Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0