Log In Sign Up

My birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 914
My little girl was born on Oct. 2! She came at exactly 37 weeks, but is doing really well. We've had some jaundice issues, but she's been able to be under lights at home for two days, and is now doing much better.

Soooo......Tuesday night, Sept. 30....I had a little fall on my wood floors, so we went down to L&D just as a precaution, thinking we'd be on the strip 20 minutes and then go home. We didn't even bring anything with us! By the time we got there, I was contracting every 2-3 minutes and was 3 cm dilated, 90% effaced, and the baby was at 0 station so they decided to keep me overnight, but didn't want to encourage labor because I was still in my 36th week. The contractions faded throughout the night, so we went home the next morning.

Wednesday I had my 37 week checkup - at my 36 week apt, my Dr. had proposed an induction for Thursday solely for my bulging discs in my back, but I had decided against it. At my appointment, she checked me and I was 4 cm, 90% and the baby was at +1! She couldn't believe that the head was right there....and then I think she stripped my membranes. She said she was still on call the next day if I decided to go through with the induction, but then laughed and said I might be seeing her anyway. Sure enough, Wednesday night I had more contractions that strengthened into Thursday morning. I went in to L&D around noon, and even though my contractions weren't that uncomfortable at all, I was dilated to 5 cm, still 90% but the baby was almost at +2. My Dr. saw me right away and said she wasn't sending me home. So I walked the halls for a few hours and she broke my waters at 4:30.

Let me tell you, it was only two minutes after my waters being broken that my contractions went from uncomfortable to strong. I sat on a birthing ball and had my hubby/mom/sister rubbing my back. After about an hour of those contractions, I decided I wanted Nubane if I hadn't progressed. They checked me and I was still between 5 and 6 cm, 90%. I took the shot of Nubane and then sat upright in bed for a few hours laboring through some very strong contractions. We had the lights dimmed in the room, and I listened to my Ipod the whole time, just blocking everything out. I didn't really want to have Nubane, but it really did help me through the toughest part. It made me feel heady, almost like I'd had a couple glasses of wine. But I still remember everything that happened and was very aware and alert of things going on around me even though I was so focused inward - something I'd practiced a lot with the Hypnobirthing technique. I didn't actually use the Hypnobirthing the way the book described, but as a musician, listening to songs that always took me somewhere else was my way of doing the hypnosis. I just moaned along with the music, sometimes singing and humming, sometimes just moaning. I'm sure it was quite a sight for the nursing staff, but it was working for me.

After about two and a half hours of laboring like this, I started to think I wanted an epidural. I had wanted so badly to have the baby without an epidural, but they checked me and I was only at 7 cm, so I was thinking I'd have hours to go and I didn't know how to get through that....my sister is a L&D nurse, and she was coaching me through them and promised me the rest was going to go really fast. Sure enough, the Dr. checked me 30 minutes later and I was complete. My hubby/mom/sister really helped me through the toughest part and kept reminding me that I really wanted to go without the epi and that I'd be so proud if I did it.

I pushed for about an hour and a half, and it was such a relief compared to the contractions. It was such hard work, but at least the pain was minimized while I was pushing. When my little girl started to come out, the Dr. saw that her cord was wrapped around her neck - there were no signs of it whatsoever on the strip. She wasn't able to pull it around, so it had to be cut while she was still being delivered. It took a minute or two for her to cry, I think they had to give her some oxygen but she was fine. She weighed 7 lbs (3 weeks early!) and was 21 inches long. We named her Ada Kristine and she is just my little angel.

It was such an amazing experience, and it couldn't have gone any better, other than the cord issue. I was able to have my baby without the epidural, my Dr. was actually the one that delivered me, (I go to a big association, so the chances of her being on call were slim to none) my labor was relatively short and sooooo rewarding. I just can't believe she's here already, my DD was the 28th!

After delivery that night, I remember thinking that we'd only be having one child, hehe. The next morning, I thought I'd consider another one but would get an epidural right away. Today, I wish I could go back and do the whole thing over tomorrow exactly how it happened. So for all of you considering birth without an epi, you can do it! You will feel so empowered - my husband was so proud of me and is telling everyone he talks to how I went without the epidural. Plus, the recovery is great and you can get up and move around right away after delivery, no catheter, etc. It's all so worth it!
SAHM to 4 yr. old sweet girl and 1 year old handsome little man!
JUST starting to think about TTC#3. It will take a lot of courage and prayers!
Reply With Quote
March 12th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,840
Glad you made it without the epi. Good for you! Funny how your thoughts changed so much so quickly (from only having one child to wanting another labor just like the first).

Reply With Quote
July 27th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 25
Great story! I had an epi 8 yrs ago with my first, but plan a ncb this time...any day now! I read the epi death story and that surely scared the needle out of my head!

We had a bad experience with the epi anyway...I got a fever and my dd was born with a fever, they had to put an iv in her tiny arm. Nursing was hard too!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0