Log In Sign Up

Hypnobabies Hospital Waterbirth w/ video

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2009, 07:25 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 15,290
Hi, I just wanted to post my birth story here.

Sunday (8/24) I woke up and was having bloody show, around noon is when I had my first contraction. I had been having them off and on for about 3 weeks now so I really didn't think anything of it. Ian, Kieron and I decided to go house hunting, we were just driving around an area of town that we might potentially move to. Around 2 pm I noticed that they were coming pretty consistently so I started timing them. They were exactly 30 minutes apart. Around 4 we had looked at all of the neighborhoods we wanted to look at and so we decided to go walk around a few stores while we waited for my dad and step mom to meet us for dinner. That was when the contractions started coming about 15 minutes apart and they were getting a little stronger. I had to stop walking or whatever I was doing at the moment when one came. We ate dinner and on the way home I called my midwife to give her a heads up. She instructed me to call her when my contractions were 5 minutes apart for about an hour and to get lots of rest. She also told me not to get my hopes up because sometimes our bodies just like to do this in preparation. They might go away after I go to sleep and not return for a few days. We got home about 8 pm Sunday night and I was pretty certain that this was real labor, they were then coming about every 10-12 minutes. To pass time I baked cookies for the nurses and gathered my bags. I was so excited that this was it that I just couldn't sleep. I finally fell asleep around 11:30. At about 1 am I woke up and could no longer sleep through my contractions, they were coming about 7-8 minutes apart. I listened to my hypnobabies scripts, got online, tried to sleep in between, and then around 3:00 am they were 5 minutes apart, I got back up and took a shower, woke Ian and we called the midwife after about an hour for her to tell me that I sounded like I was about 1 - 2 cm dialated and that if I came up there right now she would probably send me back home until the contractions were coming 3 minutes apart. She said if it was time for me to come up there I would be crying and telling her I couldn't take it anymore. So, she said to try to rest some more and call her back when they get closer together. Ian and I decided to go ahead and drive to my mother's house because she lives 20 minutes from the hospital and we didn't want to get stuck in morning traffic when it was time to go to the hospital because we already live an hour away. We got in the car and I was having the contractions anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes apart. We went ahead to my mom's house driving right by the hospital. Ian tried to convince me to go to the hospital at that time, but I really didn't want to go too soon. It was the drive to my mom's house when I think I was in transition, I started the same humming that I did when I was in transition with Kieron, but I let my midwife put doubt in my mind that I really wasn't as far along as I felt. So, we got to my mom's house, I laid down for about 30 minutes and my contractions were anywhere from right on top of each other to 3 minutes apart. I told Ian I was at the point where I thought that I needed to get to the hospital. Up until that point the hypnosis was working great and I felt in control of my "pressure waves". We called the midwife, she told me to come on up to the hospital and that she would meet me there to check me, she still didn't seem convinced that I was that far along, but whatever, I knew this time she wasn't talking me out of it. We drove to the hospital, WOW, what a drive, I started feeling like I wasn't in control anymore, I was just moaning and really just couldn't think straight. I could no longer keep my body completely loose and relaxed through contractions. Of course it rush hour and it took us more 45 minutes to get to the hospital as opposed to just 20 minutes, but we finally made it! Ian pulled to the front, got me a wheel chair which was terrible, I should have just walked, but we did load all of our stuff onto it. I was holding the plate of cookies in my hands and practically through them to my mom as I passed her in the hallway. My mom, dad and step mom met us up there. The nurse that greeted us told us that Kay (my midwife) wanted us in this holding room so that she could check me first (again because I donít think she believed that I was that far along). The nurse could clearly see that I was in great discomfort at that time so she just went ahead and put me in my room, room number 6, which is the room that everyone wants if you plan a water birth because it has the new, fancy tub in there, lol. I went to the bathroom, changed into the hospital gown, climbed into bed and continued to have contractions right on top of each other. The nurse was asking me a thousand stupid questions and she was really getting on my nerves. My midwife got there, checked me and told me that I was complete! They hurried to fill up the tub and once they monitored the baby externally for a few minutes they allowed me to get in. My water still hasnít broken at this time so the midwife told me that when it does itíll all happen really quickly from there. I got into the tub and it felt so good at first. The pressure was waaay less intense and it just felt good to get into any position that I wanted to. I was laboring in the water for about 30 minutes I think. My birthing plan stated that I didnít want to have AROM (artificial rupture of membranes), but I asked if things would go quicker if she would break my water. She said that they would definitely get things going but if I wanted to, I could break my own water by pushing myself because they were already bulging. So I did, I pushed about 5 contractions and it finally broke. Ahhhh, what heaven! It felt so much better without that pressure. Shortly after I started getting the urge to push, I started pushing lightly and felt the baby descend into the birth canal. Ouch! That was a crazy feeling! I kept pushing every time I felt a contraction. I also put in my birth plan that I didnít want anyone to coach me to push, I wanted to push myself when I felt like it and they were wonderful, they never once yelled at me to push! The atmosphere was absolutely wonderful! The lights were dim, the water was peaceful and calming, I had my husband, my mom, step mom, and mother in law in the room with me, the midwife was there merely to observe, she hardly made a peep or did anything for that matter. So, I pushed through each contraction, I felt my bones moving to make way for the baby and all of a sudden I felt the burning, I reached down and felt the top of my baby Callumís head! It was absolutely amazing! I pushed forever it seems! It was burning so bad that I just took my time pushing because 1- it hurt like crazy and 2- I was afraid of tearing. I kept feeling the baby come out and then go back in, it was kind of frustrating, but the midwife kept reassuring me that I was stretching beautifully and I was doing wonderful. So, I think I pushed for almost an hour, but Iím really not sure. I finally got to a point where the head was out about Ĺ way and it didnít go back in, I could feel myself tearing, which kind of freaked me out. The next contraction I pushed the head out! The midwife checked to make sure the cord wasnít around the neck and the next contraction I pushed the shoulders out and the rest of the baby just popped out! I remember thinking in between pushing the head and shoulders out, ďI hope the shoulders are easier than the head!Ē When the shoulders were about to come out, I felt like I was trying to push a stick out sideways, lol. But luckily they came out with much less effort! I reached down and pulled my own baby up to my chest! That was the coolest thing Iíve ever done I think! It was absolutely amazing! I ended up getting one stitch, so not too bad! With future baby/ies, I will definitely repeat the hypnobabies and the waterbirth! Both were so amazing! So, that is the wonderful birth of Callum Hugh, born August 25, 2008, 9 lbs, 3 oz (yes we were totally shocked about the weight, lol), 21 in. I had my dream birth and am so incredibly happy about it!

YouTube - Pregnancy & Hypnobabies Water Birth at the Hospital

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

Last edited by Tiff802; January 21st, 2010 at 09:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
February 26th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 72,637
Tiffany I loved reading your birth story. I am planning on a water birth at our hospital. This was amazing to read. Thanks so very much for sharing. You have given me so much inspiration. I'm a bit nervous but very excited at the thought of bringing Gavin into the world.

Thank you,

Reply With Quote
March 12th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 15,290
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait to hear your birth story!

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0