Log In Sign Up

Hunter Vaun 5/29/09 (a waterbirth!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,355
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Hunter Vaun
May 29th, 2009 @ 8:30am via waterbirth
10lbs 8ozs and 23 3/4 inches long
Born at 42 weeks and 3 days!

Very long birth story....

So I know I woke up at or around 3am with pain on the 29th. I was just so out of it and groggy I didn't really realize what was up (I had stayed up till midnight writting a letter for Joe's "camp" at school Monday). I got up and went to the bathroom then we back to bed and fell asleep but woke up to more pain on several occasions. I knew it had been a while but when I looked at my phone finally it was 4:38 and it was starting to dawn on me that this might be real labor. I stayed in bed for a while longer, but the contractions were really miserable lying down and I had to have a death grib on my night stand. So I got up and it was about 5:15am at that point. I came downstairs and got the contraction timer up on Earl's laptop. I couldn't sit at the table it was too uncomfortable so I moved to the couch. I was hitting the S button to start and stop my timer and before long I had a line of 2, 4, 2, 4, 2, 4 on there. Some contractions were really hard to get through and others weren't bad. At this point I really thought it was false labor. It was just too close together already for it to be real. And not nearly painful enough for 2-4 minutes apart. After a while I got to where I couldn't sit through them so I got up and walked around, found myself holding on the counter with a death grip and apparently breathing really loudly because I soon heard Earl chime up "those are really close together". He got up and he's like do we need to go? I said no, the're too close together and not painful enough, this isn't real. I decided to shower, it helped with the pain but when I got out I had a hell of a time just focusing to find clothes. At this point Earl was like please just call the midwife and ask her. I really didn't want to, I fought him. I was like, it's such a waste of their time to go in for nothing. Finally he won and I called, I told her and then asked her if we should come in. She was like, well what do you think? I said I don't know, they're just so close together all ready and so fast it can't be real. She said just come in and we'll check you and go from there. Ok. Told her it would be about an hour because the kids were still in bed and we had a 25 minute drive. I guess it was about 6am at this point. Earl did great getting the kids up and ready - although he destroyed the house digging for things lol. I tried to help but couldn't. In the process of all that he was still timing them for me and they were 2-3 minutes apart now. I just sat on the bed, naked for a long time I couldn't move. I wanted to dry my hair and put on make up but I couldn't. Finally managed to get some clothes on and Earl put the kids in the car. I remember looking in the food bag and there were no drinks so I threw some in then got in the car myself. We leave....

The drive BLOWS! That suv bounces like crazy and the contractions were getting closer because Earl kept driving faster and faster as they sped up. I told him, "I'd rather it take LONGER and not be as uncomfortable DRIVE SLOW!" But he wouldn't. I told him, most likely they're just going to send us home so chill out! I didn't have my belt on because it was too uncomfortable and I'm surprised the little handle to help you get in is still on because it was what I held onto to get through the contractions. It's weird because they hurt but it just wasn't the pain I was expecting. At this point I had my eyes closed and was dozing off between them. The kids were absolutely silent the whole trip lol. I could feel the turns so I kind of knew where we were and I told Earl, "it's the next redlight, make a left" because I figured he'd pass it if I didn't. We arrive and it takes me a few minutes to get out of the car and into the room. She tells me to strip down and get on the bed after the next contraction so I do. She checks me and says, "you're 7cm, 100% effaced and at zero station". I about crapped myself! I was like WHAT?! lol I seriously thought she'd say 4-5 cm.. So she asked me if I wanted in the tub and I was like YES YES YES!!! Get in and wow, it's sooo relaxing. It does NOT relieve the pain but it totally relaxes your body so you can manage better. I got scared at first because there was about 5 minutes until my next contraction and I didn't want them slowing down but then they picked up! I remember asking my midwife how long does it usually take from 7-10 cm? She said "not long usually". Then they started feeling like they were just one ontop of another, Joe told me later that I kept saying, "here we go again" when one was starting lol. At this point I must have known it was close because I told Earl to get my camera - it was in my purse in the car. So he did and gave it to Joe to take pictures because he was helping me. This is about when I felt this odd gush, and I do believe I yelled "my water broke" lol. It shocked me even though I knew it was bound to happen lol. My midwife brought me a water bottle of ice water and wet wash clothes that were literally frozen between ice packs and I thought what the heck will I need that for? But I drank nearly the entire bottle of water between contractions, I was soo thirsty and ended up putting a cold rag on my head and it helped a lot. For a while I was sitting during them but it was too painful so as they came I found if I just let my body float it was helpful. Then finally I couldn't stand to be in that spot so I got up on my knees and put my head on a towel. Earl would give me water when I asked and was patting my head down. Then Jerusha would push down on my lower back during the contractions, she just knew exactly when to do it and it was such a relief. Finally I got to this point where I pushed during the contractions. I didn't get that feeling, or need to push like I did with Jayden it was just like mentally I had to push, hard to describe. Apparently it was time because maybe 3 contractons later she was telling me, "SLOW DOWN DON'T PUSH!" and Coleen came up to me and said, "listen to Jerusha and don't push until she tells you"... I know I was thinking yeah RIGHT but I realized she was trying to slow it down so I didn't tear so I really tried my hardest to push slow but man I just wanted to push with everything I had. I don't know how many pushes later until his head came out but immedately that mental need to push went away and I was like okay we're done lol. Yeah, no... body still needed to come out! At this point she was noticing how blue his face was and started telling me we have to get him out push HARD. It was really hard to because I didn't have the urge anymore but I tried and I and felt this pulling feeling and got to feel that famous "belly sinking" feeling and he was out! Earl told me later she pulled him really hard that final time to get him out, the color of his face had them quite concerned. They immedately started patting him down hard because he was just soo blue and not crying. I quickly flopped over the cord and sat down and we all were rubbing and patting him, he finally cried but was still soo blue. Then his body colored up but face was still blue and I could feel the tension relax - his face was bruised from sitting on my pelvic bones for so long! He was just fine, just bruised. I think after that was when they had Earl cut the cord. So I was holding him and she said when I feel the cramp to push, and I felt it and pushed.. nothing. Took maybe 5-10 minutes to get the placenta out. She had me keep him in the water to keep him warm, the water temp was like 90.. something. She kept warming it up to keep it there. So then they started talking time of birth and delivery of placenta and she said 8:30 for birth and I was like holy crap I was only in the tub for an HOUR? Then it was time to get out, I felt great! I gave the baby to Coleen I believe and Jerusha helped me out of the tub, I got dried off and she had my lay on the bed so she could check for tears. She said there was a skidmark but nothing that needed stitched! So then she helps me get the "diaper" on lol. It was actually way more comfortable than the massive pad and nasty undies the hospital gives you. I got back into bed and I was sore down there... but not where I thought I would be. My butt hurts. I can pee with no problems but my butt is SORE! lol Anyway, I started nursing him and we just relaxed for a while. Then they all came back and we decided to clean him up and weigh him. We took guesses - I said "upper 7" he looked so small! Then she announced --- 10lbs 8ozs! Earl and I were both like HOLY CRAP! Even she was stunned! They washed his hair out and dressed him, gave him back to me. We just rested for a few hours. Joe took pictures and it was very peaceful. At this point we asked when we could go home, she said we only had to stay till noon. Which about noon is when my mom got here! Good timing! So we got our paperwork done, did his newborn screening and loaded up to go home. Stopped to get some food on the way, came home ate and rested.

It was a wonderful birth! Better than I could have ever hoped for! And Hunter is absolutely perfect! He's a dream baby, adorable and sooo easy to take care of! The only time he cries is if he's hungry or when I change him. He's already a mama's boy, the sound of my voice instantly quiets him if someone else is holding him. His brothers like him, and he's just fitting right in!


Last edited by Momof4Boyz; August 19th, 2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: added pictures
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0