Log In Sign Up

The Waterbirth of Emory Christopher (5-10-09)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 10,745
On Thursday, May 7th I had a midwife appointment and everything was normal. I was measuring on que and my BP was great. The midwife asked me if I was having any BH and I confirmed that I was but they were random and not painful, all of which I knew was normal as well. Then on the way home from the appointment I suddenly started having regular BH that were coming every 4 minutes or so. They weren't painful but definitely regular the whole ride home (about an hour) and for an hour after I got home. I called the midwives and they said to keep monitoring them and to call them back if they became painful. They never did and eventually started to spread out. This went on for the next few days where I would have regular BH for an hour or so but nothing painful and then they would stop for hours at a time. I knew my body was gearing up but figured it would still be a few weeks since my first child was over 41 weeks.

So when I was exactly 38 weeks, on Sunday morning, May 10th (Mother's Day!) I woke up around 4:00 and was having contractions. I assumed they were BH and began to get annoyed when I kept waking up with them. They started to get uncomfortable and I'd have to breathe through them but I kept falling asleep in between them. I'm not sure how my DH didn't wake up because I was right up against his back breathing pretty heavily. After a few of these I realized I should probably go time them just in case. It was about 5:30 at this point. I got a huge bottle of water and stayed on my left side on the couch and began timing them. I played on the internet and used the online contraction calculator to time the contractions. They never let up and kept coming at regular intervals of 3-7 minutes. I had to breathe through a lot of them but not all of them. After an hour I decided I should probably call the midwives so I got up and went to pee first. When I got to the bathroom I saw that I had bloody show and got super excited. I couldn't believe I was actually in labor. I knew it must still be pretty early in labor since the pain was hardly even pain but I called the midwives anyway. They told me to come on in and I let them know I probably wouldn't be there until 8:00 a.m. or so. I called my neighbor, Jaimi, and asked if she could come over and watch Bryson until my girlfriend could pick him up and then went to wake DH up. I woke him by saying "I think we're going to have a baby today." He jerked his head up off the pillow and said, "Are you serious?" and looked at me like I had two heads. I said, "Yes" and explained the contractions and bloody show and he jumped up and said, "Well, I guess I better take a shower!" and off he went. I made sure we had everything we needed packed and about this time Bryson woke up. Jaimi arrived a minute or two later and then I took a shower. When I got out DH had breakfast cooked (eggs with spinach and cheese on toast - yum!) and we ate while Jeff, Jaimi's husband, installed the carseat. (Oops, we'd been meaning to get that thing in!) During this time I kept having the regular contractions but wasn't paying attention to how far apart they were. I would sometimes rock back and forth through them by holding on to the counter. They still weren't very painful but the rocking just felt like the right thing to do. I honestly didn't even think about it. So after eating we were off for the near hour drive to the birth center. The contractions were pretty uncomfortable in the car but in between them we texted everyone we knew and gave them the news and sang along to music on the radio. It was a really easing going time and I was convinced we were going in too early.
We got there and got settled at about 8:40. The midwife filled the tub and asked me how far apart the contractions were and I told her I honestly didn't know because we stopped paying attention to them but they seemed to be maybe every 5 minutes or so. She then checked me and totally shocked me by saying I was 7-8 cm. I seriously almost started crying from happiness. I couldn't believe how great I felt and to already be in transition. I got in the tub after she checked me and it wasn't long before things started to get a bit more intense. The midwife told me it wouldn't be long but I still had a hard time believing her because the contractions were still totally bearable. I began moaning through the contractions soon after this and found that being on my hands and knees in the water felt the best. At some point the midwife told me I could try to push when I felt ready and a very short second of panic ran through me. I had a flashback of pushing for over 3 hours with Bryson but quickly shook the fear off. I knew I could do this. I timidly pushed for a few times and then the urge to push really took over. I suddenly couldn't NOT push. It was an overwhelming feeling that I just went with. Within a push or two they told me his head was visible but again I tried not to get my hopes up knowing it could still be a while. The next thing I knew I could feel him crowning and I put my hand there to guide him out slowly. My biggest fear was tearing badly like I had before so I really followed my instincts on how long to push. His head was out very shortly after this and his body was out in the next push, after only 7 minutes of pushing!

Emory was born at 10:02 a.m. weighing in at 7 lbs 15 oz and was 21.5 inches long. I had only one tiny skid mark and felt absolutely amazing. I don't know that I've ever felt better in my life. It was such a wonderful high that I'm not even sure has left me yet, and he's 2 months old. He was the best Mother's Day present I could have ever asked for.

Last edited by Husher; July 14th, 2009 at 06:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
July 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 19,074
Wonderful birth story!! Congrats again on Emory!

Reply With Quote
July 14th, 2009, 06:19 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 28,941
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
What an amazing water birth story! So glad everything went so well!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

Reply With Quote
July 14th, 2009, 06:45 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: south eastern Mass
Posts: 13,088
You are amazing Cindy!

Where are some pics?
Reply With Quote
July 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 41,401
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
aww what a wonderful birth story! Congrats!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Reply With Quote
July 14th, 2009, 11:03 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Depends on the day....Earth :D
Posts: 28,951
Sounds perfect!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0