Log In Sign Up

Natural birth of Alexis

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2010, 01:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,329
Tuesday, September 15th I started having contractions that were a little bit stronger than what I had been feeling over the past few weeks. Trevor played golf that afternoon and then had a work dinner so Riley and I were just hanging out and I ordered us Papa Johnís cheese sticks and bread sticks for dinner. The contractions were very sporadic so I never stopped to time them and just went about my evening playing with Riley. After I put Riley to bed I laid down to watch TV and they continued for about an hour and then stopped.

I woke up at 4:30 a.m. with even stronger contractions but still didnít time them. I decided to get up and take a shower to see if they continued or went away. After the shower I had Trevor get me some peanut butter crackers and some water and I sat on the birthing ball and watched some TV. I went to the restroom and when I wiped a huge glob of my mucus plug came out and every time I used the bathroom from then on there was red tinted mucus so I knew things were starting to happen and I was getting really excited! Around 6:30 a.m. the contractions died down and I climbed into bed and was able to fall asleep for a few hours. I told Trevor that he should probably stay home and that way he could help me out with Riley.

I didnít feel very good that morning and I had some cheerios with a banana for breakfast and then went back up to my room to lie down. I started having very sporadic contractions again and decided to call my birth doula, Ellen, and tell her what was going on. She told me to keep her updated and let her know if my contractions picked back up. From then on I dozed off and on throughout the day. I didnít feel good and my body ached. I continued to have bloody show and off and on contractions. Around 3:00 that afternoon I decided to call Ellen again and ask her if it was normal to not feel good. She told me it was and also told me to get into the bath and that she thought my contractions would pick back up by that evening.
I took her advice and got into the bath for a little bit and then got dressed and laid back down in bed. I started having some more painful contractions and I called my mom around 3:45 and asked her if she could come down and get Riley because I wanted Trevor to sit with me. While waiting for my mom all of the sudden my contractions were really strong and I asked Trevor to time them. They were coming every 2, 3, and 4 minutes. I looked at the clock and it was 4:00 pm. My mom arrived and took Riley while I kept having to use the restroom. I came out of the bathroom and went to lie down in my bed and my water broke. I told Trevor that he needed to call Ellen and that we should probably start heading to the hospital.

I had to use the restroom again and I was yelling at Trevor to get our bags and to load up the car. I stood up from using the bathroom and my contractions were coming so fast and they were incredibly painful. I was moaning through them and poor Trevor tried to rub my back but I couldnít stand him touching me. I walked down stairs and then I got the urge to throw up so I ran into the kitchen and was puking into the garbage can. We got into the car and as we were driving I thought I was going to die the contractions hurt soooo bad. I told Trevor that I wanted an epidural as soon as we got to the hospital. After a few minutes in the front seat I climbed into the back seat and I was screaming through every contraction. Trevor was trying to calm me down and he was speeding really fast. We made really good time driving to the hospital and pulled up to the valet service for women in labor. They pulled over a wheel chair and the valet guy said he would wheel me up because the hospital is confusing and he realized I needed to get to L&D as quickly as possible. It was literally like a scene out of the movies. I was screaming so loud while being wheeled down the hospital hallway. We got to the check in place and this woman started asking me all these dumb questions like my birth date etc. I stood up out of the wheel chair and started crying and said ďyou need to get me to a room right now!Ē I could hear some nurses talking and one woman said I looked like I was in a lot of pain and she was going to take me back right then. I had to sign two pieces of paper first and I literally just drew a line.

I was being wheeled back screaming ďoh my godĒ the entire way. I got into the room and there were lots of nurses in there but I never really saw their faces because my eyes were closed and I was crying. I took my clothes off and threw them on the floor, got into the bed, and told them I needed an epidural right away. I could hear them all talking and moving around me. One nurse put a gown on me, someone was trying to find the babyís heartbeat with the fetal monitor, and several nurses were trying to get an IV into my hand. The fetal monitor hurt when she was pushing on my stomach and I kept asking them to stop touching me. A nurse checked me and told me I was 7 cmís and then I had another contraction and I felt the urge to push. I was checked again and I was already 10 cmís. The nurses kept saying that the Dr. needed to be paged, and then they found out she was currently delivering a baby in the room next to me. I started to push and it felt really good, it made the contractions not hurt as much. One nurse told me to stop pushing and of course I didnít listen, my body just kept doing it. Then I heard another nurse say that you canít tell a woman having a natural childbirth NOT to push. I was holding onto Trevorís hand for dear life and squeezing it so hard. Then I heard him panting and I looked up at him and he was dripping with sweat. I asked him if he was going to pass out and he said he was just trying to help me with my breathing. Since my eyes were mostly closed Iím not sure when the doctor arrived but I remember looking up and seeing her and she told me to give some better pushes because the babyís heart rate was dropping. They put the oxygen mask on me and I just started pushing with everything I had. Then I felt that ring of fire that I always heard about and it sure did burn! I kept pushing so hard and didnít stop because the burning was so intense. I felt the babyís body wiggling as it came out and it was the weirdest, coolest feeling ever. The pain was instantly gone and I felt an enormous sense of relief. Then I heard Trevor yell ďitís a girl!Ē and they placed this beautiful little baby on my belly and I was instantly in love. Trevor cut the cord and we decided her name was Alexis. After a few minutes the nurses took her to be checked while I delivered the placenta and got stitched up. I had second degree tears from Lexi coming out so fast. Being stitched up was really painful and afterwards they cleaned me up because Lexi pooped on the way out of the birth canal and the nurse told me I had poop all over me from her. The good thing is there was no way she could have breathed in the poop because her head was already out when it happened.

They handed Lexi back to me and we did skin to skin and then I nursed her. They told me she would cough stuff up over the next day or two since she was born so quickly. She was so skinny and long and she looked more like Trevor than me. To recap, my contractions started back up at 4:00 pm, we arrived at the hospital around 4:45 pm, and I had my beautiful 7 lb 1 oz, 22 inch baby girl at 5:15pm on Wednesday, September 16th! Good thing there wasnít any traffic on the way to the hospital or Trevor would have delivered her in the car on the highway! My doula didnít end up making it to the birth in time. She arrived about 15 minutes after she was born. I was really proud of myself when it was all said and done because I had actually wanted to have a natural childbirth. I was a little traumatized since everything happened so quickly, I just wasnít prepared and Iím pretty sure I was in transition in the car which was not fun. Lexi is nursing great and is such a joy to have around. We love her so much and couldnít be happier!

We don't have any pictures since I was in so much pain my dear husband forgot our camera in the car!

*** I wrote that a week or so after I had Lexi. Now she is almost 4 months old and I have had time to think about her birth. I also did some research and I think I had a precipitous birth. I had planned on a natural birth but once I got to the hosiptal I screamed give me an epidural. My poor husband didn't have a clue what to do, I think he was so worried and everything our doula talked about with us just went right out the window. I think I would have had a totally different experience had my doula been with me. I needed someone there to snap me out of my little vortex of pain and give me encouragement. Not that Trevor wasn't telling me I was doing a great job, because he was, I just know that my doula could have helped me more. Plus I was so scared since everything was happening so quickly and I thought I was at the beginning stages of labor which is why I asked for an epi. I thought there is no way I could make it if the pain was this bad and I was only 3 cm. Little did I know I was 7! Weeks following her birth I would say I would never have another natural childbirth. But now that I have had time to think about everything Im so happy I did end up having her naturally (not that I even had a choice by the time we got to the hospital LOL ) and I plan on having my next children naturally as well. It really was such an amazing, empowering experience. And to those ladies who are just lurking, wondering if you can do it...YOU CAN! If I can do it, anyone can because Im a huge wimp!!
DD1 (7) DD2 (6) DS (2)

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks

Last edited by Lindz253; January 3rd, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
January 3rd, 2010, 07:15 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 8,110
Thank you so much for sharing! That was such a great birth story, and I'm glad that, even if you didn't think you could, you got a NCB! That reminds me of how my mom's labors went. She said she never got the epi simply because there was never any time; her births went really fast.

Reply With Quote
January 4th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 10,745
Congratulations! You did a great job!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0