Log In Sign Up

My Twin NCB!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 661
Finnian & Remington’s Birth Story

On Wednesday the 12th I decided to take Castor Oil in hopes that I wouldn’t have to be induced on Friday. I was planning on taking it first thing in the morning, but it took awhile to make sure DH was okay with it and for me to work up the courage! One of my friends had success by taking 2 tsp of castor oil in OJ once an hour for three hours. Two hours after her first dose she went into labor. I was being cautious so I took 2 tsp in OJ at 1:30pm and then another 2 tsp. two hours later. I started having BH after the first dose, but didn’t think much of it. I was waiting for the pooping to begin! NOTHING. I figured it probably wasn’t going to work. Then around 6:30 pm I started cramping pretty bad for about 30 min, but then I went to the bathroom and it completely went away. DH and I watched a movie and then went to bed around 10:30.

I woke up at midnight and went to the bathroom. Something felt odd, but I wasn’t sure what was going on. I wondered if my water had broken, but I wasn’t leaking so I went back to bed, but within another min I went back to the bathroom and realized I was leaking water and then started gushing once I was on the toilet. I told DH I thought my water had broken. He jumped out of bed wide-awake. I wasn’t feeling any contractions yet so I wasn’t sure what to do. If I hadn’t tested pos for GBS I would have just went back to bed and waited until the contractions started, but I knew that since I was not going to be taking the antibiotics that would be upping the risk for the babies so we decided to get ready to go to the hospital. DH was going to get us packed up while I lay down to rest. I lay down probably about 12:15am or so and had a VERY HARD contraction.

Now as most of you know I was planning a NCB, but once I found out I was having twins and would not be able to deliver in water my confidence in myself to have a NCB was not very high. I had even spoken to the OBs about the different types of pain meds available in case I wanted to change my mind. I just wasn’t feeling strong and didn’t have the strong desire to have a NCB like I had with my other two babies. With my last two births the hardest part of the entire labor and delivery was the pushing & crowning. Both times I felt like I was being ripped to shreds and I was very fearful of that feeling so… (and can I just say with my first two births not once did I ask for an epi or even think about it, just had to throw that in! lol)

When my first contraction was so strong I immediately told DH “honey I think I’ll be getting the epidural this time.” He just said “okay honey” and didn’t try to convince me of anything at that moment. lol… I just kept thinking if I am hurting this much already I won’t be able to do this!! I got up to try to fix my hair and do my “labor routine” as I like to call it, but the contractions were coming close and hard and I couldn’t really do anything. I couldn’t even time them. Sean recognized they were hard and fast compared to the past and since we had an hour drive we had to GO! I called the sitter but received no answer. Called again… still no response. We decided to give her a few minutes to wake up and call back. No call back. We finally called our alternate and did not reach her either. We started going over who would be the next best option when we got the call from our sitter. About that time DH was RUNNING thru the house doing our last minute packing. (He is a runner, but NOT in the house lol…so I knew he must be really concerned) Later DH would tell me he made three bathroom runs of his own due to nervousness during the 45 min hospital prep time. As we were ready to leave the sitter arrived and helped me to the van and rubbed my back. This really calmed me. I decide to ride in the back so I could be on all fours. There was no way I could sit and deal with the pain.

We left the house at 1 am, an hour after my water broke. I called my mom to let her know we were on our way and she started praying for me. DH called the BC and let them know we were coming and asked them about filling a tub. They said no they could not until we arrived and were monitored for at least twenty minutes. About 15 min later I had him call back and ask to have the epi on tap and waiting- forget the birthing tub! They said no to that too they could not call in the anesthesiologist until the mother was admitted. It was a rough ride, but didn’t feel as long as I thought it would. When we were about 10 min away I started to feel a bit better, but also felt a lot of pressure. I knew the babies were close. We arrived at the BC at 1:45 am. Once we pulled up, DH went to get a nurse to help “unload me.” I did NOT want to move. The nurse put me in a birthing room (the same one DS2 was born in) and wanted to start monitoring me and asked me to lie down. I ignored her and told her I would like the epi. She said she had read my birth plan (she knew I wanted a NCB) and would I like some other options. I looked at her, told her she was wonderful (for trying to help me with a NCB). Then said I think I’ll go ahead with the epi. She said okay, but she would have to check me first… ugh!! I was having a hard time working up the courage to lie in the bed. The pain really increased when I tried to lie down or sit. Finally I let her check me and she said I was complete and she could feel the baby’s head. She was very sorry, but it was too late for an epidural! Of course it was! Ha! She alerted everyone & walked me to the OR (I still wouldn’t let her monitor me in the bed… I must have gotten up right after she checked me). Once we were in the OR she went back to work convincing me to get in the bed so I could be monitored. (Now if I was having a singleton I would have said no leave me be, but I knew there was more risk with the twins so I was trying hard to get in the bed.) This was about 2:20am. I was feeling really pushy now and kept asking DH if he was praying. (I was still fearful of the pushing & crowning stage). He of course said yes.

I lay on my side so the nurse could get the monitors on me when I had one good pushing contraction. I reached down and felt the baby coming out. I said “is he here?” They said “yes he’s here.” I felt him, saw him, but still couldn’t believe he had slipped right out like that!! (Not that it wasn’t painful, but my pain level didn’t even COMPARE to my other births.) Baby A had been born at 2:30am! I felt great. I was so excited to see him and hold him, but I did say “oh… I have to do this again!” I felt good for the next 10 min or so and enjoyed cuddling my new baby.

After a bit the hard contractions started coming back so I handed baby A to daddy so I could work through the contractions. I asked if I could deliver the next baby in a more comfortable position such as my hands and knees and they said “sure.” I ended up getting on my knees and leaning over the head of the bed (the head of the bed was all the way up). DH was at the head of the bed with baby and in between the contractions I was making small talk with everyone. I asked what was for breakfast and when could we go home. I was feeling pretty good and excited about the next baby. The nurse said I could just deliver the baby onto the bed and then pick him up from there. WOO HOO! Then a strong contraction came and I started pushing. The doctor said he could see the bag of water and asked if I he could break it. I said no I had heard it gets more painful when it is broken and I was in no rush, as I didn’t want to tear. Then I pushed a bit more and he basically plopped on the bed in a gush of water and blood. Baby B was born at 2:50am, 20 minutes after his brother. Normally I would think it all so gross, but I was SO HAPPY. I was almost laughing at myself for being so happy amongst the pool of yuck! I reached down for Baby B and picked him up. The doctor told me to slow down and not lift him to high since he was still attached by the cord. I cradled him down by the bed so all the blood would flow to him and then after a few minutes the cord was clamped and DH cut it. They cleaned up the mess under me and I reclined in the bed to deliver the placenta, which took longer than I thought it would, but was still only 15 min or so. While we waited for the placenta I nursed Baby B. DH was concerned Baby A wasn’t getting enough mommy time and so handed him to me. He had been perfectly content with daddy and once I had him he started crying immediately, poor little man. He calmed down after a minute and I had my two boys in my arms… FINALLY!

It was such an amazing experience and wonderful births. I was so surprised. After my first birth of DS 1 I asked DH why anyone would EVER have more children! It was just such a rough, hard experience. Immediately after Baby B was born DH said well if it is going to be this easy than let’s start planning baby #5! YIKES! It was just such a different experience and I am so THANKFUL! A lot of the reason I was ready for the epi with the FIRST contraction was because of my FEAR of what MIGHT come. I could handle the contractions as it was, but they were just hit so hard and strong I thought it would only get worse, but it didn't. I am SO THANKFUL that I was too late to get the epi. I would have missed out on the most AMAZING experience of my life. I just want to encourage you moms if labor hits hard and fast that it is not guaranteed to get worse.

After we finally had some time on our own and could look at them both together we decided to name them.

Baby A, Finnian Dane
6lbs 7oz and 18in long
born at 2:30am

Baby B, Remington Grey
6lbs 12oz and 19 in long
born at 2:50am

Here is quick pic a few hours after birth. I will try to add a few more later on.
Thanks for reading our story!

Mommy to four wonderful boy ages 7, 5, and twins 3

Reply With Quote
January 19th, 2011, 05:59 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 26,352
Congratulations! They are too cute snuggled up together

Reply With Quote
January 20th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Auburn, IN
Posts: 8,554
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
What a beautiful, beautiful birth story! You had me tearing up! I'm so happy that this birth went so well for you. Your boys are adorable and so, so precious!
wife, mother, blogger, perpetually behind on laundry

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0