Log In Sign Up

Felicity's Unplanned Unassisted Home Waterbirth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,869
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
I woke up at 4:30 Thursday morning (10/06) and had a strange and intensifying burning and stinging feeling in my cervix. About 15 minutes later, I had my first contraction. It lasted only about 30 seconds, but it ws difficult to breathe or talk through. I thought this was odd, and called my midwife. She told me that my uterus might just be irritated from the evening primrose oil capsules I had inserted the night before (same effect as sex in late pregnancy with the prostiglandin's efffacing properties), or that it might be the start of labor. She told me to call her if things changed.

I endured a few more contractions, and had my husband get up around 5:20 to provide moral support through them. I used the techniques I remembered from my Bradley birth classes with my first child, to vocalize low and moaning, to keep my chin to my chest, those sorts of things. I was shocked at how incredibly painful they were becoming, and how quickly they progressed to 2 minutes apart peaking after a minute. My husband called my midwife again to tell her of the change, and I had some significant bloody show.

I asked him to fill the bathtub, as I thought it might provide some relief, and then I called my mom to tell her we were having a baby today. I felt another rush coming, and got off the phone. During this contraction, my body started to push! I must insert here the fact that the baby had been floating and not engaged at my 39 week appointment on Saturday, and I was a fingertip dilated and 50% effaced. I considered momentarily that I must be misinterpreting the urge to push, I didnt even know if baby was engaged!!! Well, by the time that rush was over, I decided I'd better get in the water if the baby was coming. I got my pajamas off, and got into the tub. I prayed very quickly that God would preserve me from tearing badly, and that he would keep us both safe.

I had my first contraction in the tub, and her head was out!!!!

(I will include here that I pooped as I pushed that first time, and my husband just said whoops, better get that out of there, and grabbed some TP and tossed that into the toilet and flushed it. No Big Deal. Hear me? Its OK!!!)

Rob supported her head in the water while I waited for the next rush to push her body out. Her cord was nice and long, and it was looped loosely around her head, so we unwrapped her, and he handed her to me. She was breathing quietly, and alert, but no yelling or anything. Rob called the midwife and asked what he ought to know about delivering the placenta. My midwife was in utter shock that I had already had the baby!!! She told him to get some chux pads from the birth kit and help me out of the tub and into the bedroom, to wait for the placenta and to not cut the cord till she arrived. My daughters woke up around the time he was on the phone, and they were able to see me and the baby in low light in the bathtub just minutes after her arrival.

My husband is a very calm and levelheaded person. I always knew that if we were faced with a "precipitous birth" situation, that he would perform well under pressure and be a great source of strength and focus for me. He was just exactly those things, and I am so blessed to have a husband who can keep his wits about him! He told me later that I made it all look easy, not sure how that's possible since I was barely contained for that last half hour or so! He also said that if his hands had not been right there, she might have hit her head on the opposite end of the tub she came flying out with such force!

My midwife was a wonderful source of comfort and stability for me after Felicity's birth. She is one of my best friends, and was so happy for us and validated my feelings about the birth, saying so many empowering things after our unplanned unassisted birth. She and I both wish she has been here, but she was confident in our ability to birth unassisted even before it happened. She stayed for about 6 hours, making us some lunch, doing dishes, keeping the big girls occupied, cleaning up after the birth, educating my girls about the placenta, all sorts of things! So she really did share a large part of the post birth experience with us, and I am glad for that.

I tore 3/4 in, just like my other two births, and in the same place as my other two births. Felicity is perfect in every way, very alert when awake, tracking movement with her eyes and trying to lift her head to look around. She is very quiet. I think she is recovering from her freight train speed arrival as much as I am. Our other daughters, Grace and Lily, are over the moon about her, and want to snuggle with her and stare at her and hold her often. They love that she ws born in the bathtub and that they got to see her right after she was born. Lily, the 2 yr old, was a little overcome about the blood in her tubby, but she understands about the nest in my uterus for the baby and how its a good thing that I "had blood"!

She has a wonderful latch, and is nursing often. I am tired and hungry. And very thankful that she is here!

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

Reply With Quote
July 14th, 2006, 08:07 AM
mrsdutch's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Former Hamburger turned Bristolian
Posts: 32,722
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsdutch
SOunds like an amazong birth. Your hubby did a great job!!!!! Congratulations!

Angels Bright from Starry height, change my mind and being with light!

Reply With Quote
July 21st, 2006, 06:40 AM
Nina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 12,739
Send a message via AIM to Nina
I hope you don't mind me popping in here, but I just had to comment on such a beautiful birth!! You and your DH did so great!! I enjoyed reading your birth story! Thank you for sharing.


Reply With Quote
July 28th, 2006, 11:30 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
beautiful story! much more peaceful than my births, and they both went pretty fast. great job, mama! i think i may have panicked. hehe.
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0