Log In Sign Up

Natural birth at a hospital with only 2 hours of active labor

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, TX area
Posts: 107
We had an induction date set for August 1st and I was 39 weeks and 3 days.
I had been checked the previous Monday and was at 2cm.

I had been having contractions on and off for weeks but nothing that stuck around. Got to the hospital around 6:30 am on Wendesday and they got my IV in around 7:30 am and I was at 4 cm already!

Started the pitocin and just waited. They checked me again at 10:00 am and I was almost at 5 cm, and they offered to break my water. I decided I would wait until my mom could get there because I knew once that happened it would most likely be quick.

My mom got there around 10:30 and the doctor broke my water at 11:00 am and she left for lunch saying she would be back around 12:30 pm to check me again. I was still at a 5 cm.

Things really picked up at that point. I could still manage them but I had to stop talking and sort of hum through some of them. At 12:15 pm I was in a lot of pain and was moaning a lot to get through them, plus they were coming every 2 minutes. They checked me and I was at 7cm.

I got on a birthing ball and rocked but I just felt like I could not manage the pain. My husband was rubbing my back and I was squeezing my mom's hands. At 12:30 pm I said I cannot do this and asked for some medicine, they then tell me that they can not give me IV pain meds that all I can get is an epidural and that I have to be able to sit still. At this point there was no break in the contractions...coming right on top of each other and I was starting to lose control.

I asked for someone to go get the doctor she came in a few minutes later and I was crying and moaning and I started to feel a lot of pressure. She asked me to get in the bed so she could check me. As I stood up off of the ball to climb in bed I felt this pressure and intense need to push. As soon as I laid on the bed I was yelling (really embarrassed about that) saying he was coming and that I was pushing and could not help it. The doctor said you are a 9.5 cm but as you push I will hold the rest of your cervix back.

I pushed and I could feel his head and shoulders...I gave 3 pushes all within the same contraction for about 30 seconds and he was out. It was not pretty......I was yelling because I was scared and I felt very out of control of my body since I could not stop the pushing and I could feel the fact that not only was he coming quickly but I was relieving myself all over the bed and the doctor. (Sorry TMI but the truth)

He was born at 12:58 pm weighing 7 lbs. 14 oz and 21 inches long. He is perfect!

I am glad I did it and that it was so fast. What they don't tell you is it took about another 15-20 minutes to get the placenta out.
Reply With Quote
August 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,647
Congratulations on your birth. I too "relieved" myself a couple times during transition and my poor fiance was scooping it out of the tub. At the time I could have cared less = ).
Reply With Quote
July 6th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Very similar to the birth of my second child. I had very mild contractions not in any pattern. I decided to go to bed and then my water broke. Then labor really kicked into high gear and I was not sure I would make it to the hospital. When I first got to the hospital and they checked me around 1am, I was only 3 cm! They thought it would be awhile even though I was in serious pain and could barely move during the contractions which were on top of each other. As one would wind down another would kick in!

I remember standing there and feeling this intense urge to push and must have said so aloud because the nurse was like "Don't push! You'll tear your cervix!" But it was happening involuntarily. I told her it was happening anyway and then a bunch of blood squirted out on the floor below me. They grabbed me and pushed me onto the bed and 15 mins later I had a baby in my arms. From 3cm to having a baby in my arms was just a hair above 2 hours. From water breaking on its own to baby was just above 3 hours.

I relieved myself at some point (happened involuntarily as well) and apologized profusely and they told me not to worry about it and that it's part of birth and almost everyone does it! I hadn't done it with my first so it was new for me.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0