Log In Sign Up

Isla Renee's Natural Hospital Birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Anxious New Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,968
I loved reading birth stories before and even after both of my babies...so had to share. This is my second baby, first true natural birth because I needed pitocin to get things going with my son, and I caved and got a shot of Stadol. Isla's birth was life changing for me...and brings a tear to my eye every time I think of it!

Isla Renee
May 30th, 2012 (38 weeks 5 days)
7:13 am
7 pounds 7 ounces
19 1/2 inches

Our birth story...

Tuesday evening, May 29th (38 weeks 4 days)

Worked a partial day, really just to keep myself busy because I was growing more and more anxious as the days ticked by. That night I was definitely feeling more full, and more pressure than the days before. I decided to have Lucas blow up the yoga ball to try and bounce the baby out! At this point I was pretty uncomfortable, and was thinking some natural induction methods would be worth trying. I bounced on the ball for a good hour...the whole time my back was on fire! We decided we better go for ice cream I told Isla that if she came out I would get her her own ice cream. I was very tired, but very determined to take a shower, even though I *would* have the time in the morning. Something was just telling me I better get myself cleaned up and shave my legs! Went to bed about 10:45, and around 11 felt a few mild contractions. I had been having semi-painful Braxton Hicks off and on though, so I wasn't sure these were any different. They weren't that bad, and I fell asleep.

Wednesday morning, May 30th, 1:00 am (38 weeks 5 days)

Woke up to strong contractions. It took me a good half hour to determine that these were in fact contractions, and that I was in labor. I kept worrying that I would go to all the trouble of waking up Lucas, calling my dad, going to the hospital...only to be sent home. So I just sat in the bathroom, bent over the sink, swaying my hips through each contraction. After I had a bit of bloody show, I finally got over my fear and just woke Lucas up (1:30 ish). I only tried to time them for 15 minutes or so, because they were really strong and really close together. Lucas called my dad to come over and sit with Collin...no answer. I told him to just wait a minute and he'd probably call back. Lucas couldn't wait..he called him right back and said "It's showtime!" We both kind of scramble around getting our bags packed (we had a list, and some stuff around, just not everything), and I of course, had to put on a little makeup. My Dad was so excited! Happy to be part of our little girl coming into the world! Collin slept through it all...and by 2:30 we were in the van on the way to St. Mary's!

3:00 am

Decide to take the wheelchair when we get to the hospital instead of walking. I knew that walking would move things along a bit faster, but I was feeling like things were moving fast enough already. I was having to breathe deep through each contraction, and definitely couldn't talk. Brought into triage and checked...only 3 centimeters! They don't admit until 4 centimeters, so I was pretty dissapointed. I still had Lucas call my mom, because I felt like things were picking up fast and I would want her there. I was contracting regularly, and Isla's heartrate was too steady throughout, no accelerations and decelerations. They were thinking that laying on my side might wake her up a bit. When that didn't work, they decided to give me IV fluids. By the time they got ready to do that it had been an hour (4:00 am), so they wanted to check me again. 5-6 centimeters! I thanked the nurse for telling me that. Seeing how fast I was progressing they really started moving...got me an IV with fluids and antibiotics (Strep B+) and checked me into a room. Told Grandma she better come up now! The contractions were definitely bearable at this point, not nearly the intensity I felt with the Pitocin during Collin's birth.

5:15 am

Get checked again...and the nurse says 8 centimeters! She has a hard time telling if the babies head is right there or if it's the bag of waters. Second nurse checks and also cannot tell. If it is, things are going to happen...soon. They call in an ultrasound tech to check real quick, and yep, it's Isla's head! They call Dr. Steen, knowing things are going to move quickly. She is on it this woman...she get's there within 15 minutes! She checks me, confirms the 8 and the babies head and tells me any moment now...and to just holler when I'm ready. I'm doing pretty good at this point, just writhing around on the bed. My labor style was about the same for Isla's birth as for Collin's...kind of rereat into myself, deep breathing, but gripping the hell out of the bed handles. I did need the fan on me through contractions (thank you Lucas for buying one in anticipation!) and a cool wash cloth on my head and neck.

6:15 am

Get up to go to the bathroom and while I'm on the toilet...POP...my water breaks! It was loud! And definitely a big gush...and all the sudden a ton of pressure. Pushing pressure! I yell out as much as I can for Lucas and tell him to get the doctor! He freaks out a bit and runs into the hallway and yells for her. I really thought she was just going to slide out into the toilet right then. Within seconds I have Dr. Steen and 3 nurses getting their gloves on ready to deliver my baby in the toilet. I am determined not to let this happen though and tell them I have to walk back to the bed. Not an easy task. After I get settled back on the bed Dr. Steen checks and sure enough, I'm ready! She is so mellow about it all, reassuring me that I could've had her on the toilet and it would've been fine, she has delivered babies there before. My mind and body are not on the same page though, and I just cannot wrap my head around pushing at this point. The doctor sits on the end of the bed and just tells me whenever I'm ready, and just to let her know what I want. I am literally flopping around on the bed just trying to get comfortable through each contraction, even though I know I should just push her out. She was moving down slowly, as I was lightly pushing at the peak of each contraction. At this point, maybe due to my position on the bed, the contractions spaced out a bit. The sun came up...we took a picture to remember it. I may have asked them to just knock me out and take the baby...

7:10 am

Finally I get to the point where I know I can't do this any longer and I decide to really push. No legs in stirrups, no nurses counting, just half laying half sitting on the bed with my legs bent at the knees. 2 contractions, 3 minutes and 4 pushes, Isla is here! Dr. Steen says she has the cord wrapped around her neck, loosely, and her body as well! I am already sobbing as she is placed on my chest. She is so purple, but crying, so I know she is okay. She pinks up quickly after getting cleaned up a bit, and her apgars are 7 and 9. Her cord was extremely long, about 3 1/2 feet! Only 5% of babies have an umbilical cord longer than 2 feet. Lucas did get to cut it this time, which was awesome. With Collin his cord was VERY short and wrapped tightly around his neck, so he was whisked away from us the second he came out. Isla spent her first half hour on my chest. She immediately took to the breast and nursed for a good 15 minutes. Me, Lucas and my mom are all crying. Her birth was just so perfect, and so fast, and such a miracle.

Reply With Quote
September 9th, 2012, 07:41 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,647
Beautiful story. I too didn't want to deliver on the toilet although my body was trying to. That's a crazy long cord she had = ).
Reply With Quote
September 17th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Anxious New Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,968
Yeah isn't that weird?!? But my DS had an extremely short cord...

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0