Log In Sign Up

Dalya's Natural Childbirth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LindseyF

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2013, 11:54 AM
LindseyF's Avatar Expecting 2nd Dec Baby!
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 631
In a nutshell:

Fri, 12/27/12 @ 41w4d & 3cm dilated
Early labor began at 5am
Water was broken at 10:30am
Active labor began at 12:30pm
4/5 cm @ 3:20pm
10cm @ 4:40pm
Dalya born @ 5:11pm

Women in both sides of my family tend to carry well into the 41 - 42 weeks, so it was no surprise when I went into labor with my first at 41w3d. I hoped for a NCB with him but after 12 hrs of active labor, chose to get an epidural. I was hopeful that my second would arrive earlier, but no such luck. Regular intimacy, walking, a teaspoon of castor oil, & even 2 trips to an acupuncturist yielded nothing. An ultrasound at 41w2d brought to light the fact that I had a greater-than-average amount of amniotic fluid in my uterus, & like a water balloon filled to the max, my uterus may be so full that it had no 'give' & therefore was struggling to even contract at all. After a lot of discussion & praying, I agreed to have my water broken at the hospital at 41w4d.

The morning I was scheduled to have my water broken, I fortunately began early labor on my own at around 5am, though the contractions were very spread out & irregular. I had been 3cm dilated for days, & at 10:30a I had my water broken by my midwife & began walking the halls with my sister. The conx slowly began to regulate & stayed at 5 min apart & easy to manage till 12:30p. My doula arrived at 12:40p, right as they began to pick up. From that point on, I remained standing, as sitting or kneeling caused my back labor to intensify. I knew from my first birth, which lasted 25 hours, that tensing up would only make the labor longer, so I somehow managed to stay quite relaxed thru each conx. Though I didn't listen to the HypnoBirthing regularly, it did help a great deal with active labor.

At 3p, I climbed into the jetted tub, only to find that it made conx less tolerable than standing did. Before getting out, I had a long & very intense conx, & began vomiting. At this point I asked for an epidural. I got out & was checked at 3:20 & was found to be 4-5 cm. Knowing the anesthesiologist had been called, I tried my best to remain calm, but found myself beginning to loose control. Fortunately I was encouraged to begin vocalizing, while I stood with my DH on one side & my doula on the other, each holding an arm while I leaned forward thru each conx. The nurse paged the anesthesiologist 4 times before she finally arrived an hour later, around 4:20. It was right at this time that the inevitable happened. Between conx, I looked up & apologized to everyone, but I had to 'go.' Sure enough, with the next conx, I ... er, went. Standing up. Yea ...

I laid down to be checked and amazingly, I was complete. No time for the epi -- it was time to push. At 4:40, I began pushing, & at 5:11p, my baby girl, Dalya, entered the world. I was so relieved that she seemed healthy & that I didn't tear, & even moreso that the pain had ended. So I thought ...

Shortly after bonding with her for a bit, my back began hurting severely, & I handed her over to be weighed. 8 lbs 3 oz -- not bad for 11 days past due! As she was being tended to, I suddenly felt a conx & the need to push. I began pushing out blood & clots, which was followed by my room being filled with doctors & nurses. They worked quickly to stop the hemorrhaging & fortunately were able to, though at one point an operating room was being prepped for a blood transfusion & possible hysterectomy. But in the end, my body recovered & I was able to finally enjoy our new addition to our beautiful family!
daneeleigh likes this.
Reply With Quote
February 17th, 2013, 03:34 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 5,906
I'm so happy for you that you got your natural birth! I can only imagine how intense that last hour must have been - to go from 4/5 to a 10 in one hour? Wow! Way to go mama! and congratulations a beautiful girl!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0