Log In Sign Up

The natural hospital birth of Jonah Warren 7/28

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2013, 09:02 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: virginia
Posts: 7,949
I'll try not to make this to extremely long.

I'll start on Thursday. Thursday morning I had my 40 week apt. We discussed my next apt and when induction would be ok. (42 weeks). ( She didnt check me or anything at all, just a normal boring apt) I was very convinced I would be there for the following appointment.

That afternoon I lost a small amount of mucus plug. I know that doesn't mean much though so I didn't read to much into it.

Friday morning I woke up and felt good. I cleaned our bathrooms and decided to take the kids to the zoo. The zoo is an hour and a half away from where we live and my DH was a bit concerned about it, but I really wanted to do something fun with them. At the zoo we did a lot of walking and I sat down whenever I could I also stopped at babies R us and picked up one remaining thing I needed for the baby. On the way home (hour and a half drive) I had four contractions but I figured I was dehydrated a bit and all the walking. I didn't even mention them to my DH.

Saturday morning I woke up and felt off. Just very tired and almost nauseous. I decided to pack up the hospital bag with just simple stuff. Baby clothes. Etc. I told my DH I felt weird and didn't think it would take much to tip the scales in the direction of labor. I lost a little bit more of my mucus plug that morning as well.

Saturday afternoon just as we were getting ready to leave for my nephews birthday party, my DH got called to work. He left, I got all the kids packed up and headed out. On the way to the party I felt a contraction while driving, and I felt like maybe the way I'd been feeling earlier really was going to turn into something.

We arrived at the party and lots of people started off the conversation with me by asking how I was feeling ... And I honestly replied with "I think something is happening" .. I even told my SIL who was going to watch my older kids when I went to the hospital not to go anywhere far that night. I continued to get contractions about every 30 minutes at the party. I texted DH and had him on alert. We left around 5. Got home a d the kids and I got in the pool. I was curious to see if the pool would change anything for me. It didn't. Still contractions every 30 min or so. Same feeling.

That evening when my DH got home from work around 7 it seemed like they got a bit closer.. Every 15 -20 minutes. Still not really hurting. As the evening went on I decided to finish packing the hospital bag "just in case I woke up in full blown labor" . Right before we went to bed i noticed a small amount of bloody show. We went to bed around 11:00. At that point contractions were every 10 min or so and after I layed down they seemed to intensify. I couldn't sleep at all. Told DH to go sleep on the couch. I rested and timed contractions. I also had a BM and saw some more bloody show. The contractions were getting to be about 5-7 min apart. I finally gave up and called my SIL around 2:00. When she got to my house I was able to actually relax and started sleeping between contractions. That spread them out to 10 min apart ..but they were still lasting almost 2 minutes!

Around 4:30 I knew I needed to get up to get things moving. Got up and went to the bathroom.. More blood and yucky BM. Got on the birth ball. Movement picked contractions up to about 4 min apart. At 5 I said let's go.

When we got to the hospital I was monitored for a while and checked. I was 5-6cm. After that timing gets fuzzy for me. I got on the birth ball and put in headphones. A while later I puked during a contraction. After that I felt like I had to stand through contractions. They then checked me and I was a 7 and fully thinned out. That was around 6:30. At this point I am thinking "ok when am I going to start flying through this?" Normally after 6 my body books through the Centimeters and we have a baby! Around 7:30 I think the dr came in and checked and I was still a 7! I got discouraged. At 8 I remember looking at the clock and thinking "where the heck is this baby and why am I still a 7?!" The last two times I've had babies I have delivered at right about 3 hours after arriving at the hospital.

Time continued to move slowly. At this point I was in the bed but trying many different positions. Around 9 am I started having back labor. I have never experienced back labor before. Even with my son being sunny side up. The nurse showed my husband how to ease my pain by pushing on my lower back and squeezing my hips. That was an amazing relief. I kept feeling the need to bear down when I was on my knees facing the back of the bed. The dr checked me and I was at 8. I asked if that was normal. She said it was normal, because my water had not broken yet (something like that) and to continue to try to breath through the pressure. I did my best.

At 10 I KNEW I SHOULD get up and try standing or the birth ball again. But I was exhausted. I layed the bed down completely flat and turned on my right side and started sleeping between contractions again. Which again spread them out but I needed that break. Matt told me later it was at that point he started to wonder if I was just going to sleep through it all. I turned on to my left side and that is when I started getting really strong pressure. My water broke at about 11. At that point I felt like I had to push. Had to. The nurse checked and said I was a 9 almost a 10. The dr came in about 11:10 and said let's do this! Since I was still pushing even though I hadn't been told I was complete. They kept trying to tell me to push a certain amount of time and I would just give up. Things did FEEL right. I kept saying "this doesn't feel right" I still felt the need to bear down but I could tell there was no baby movement. Finally the dr checked me again and said "there is a pretty big lip, I will try to hold the lip out of the way and see if that helps you push" .. The next contraction came and I felt it! I felt the head starting to move, and then crown. Took my next breath and bore down as hard as I could. I felt the head was almost out, took a breath and pushed more. The head came out. Another breath and I puuuuushed and out came the body! 11:34am

My very first words were THANK GOD! All thoughts of what the babies gender were had left my head when i started pushing. I heard matt say "it's a boy!" . I had been so convinced it was a girl. I looked at Matt and said "are you serious?! " and THEN I looked at the baby being put on my chest and felt complete amazement at everything that had happened and that I had another SON! And he was here and SAFE! And I had done it even though it had been such a long labor! Matt was able to be the one to announce the gender to the waiting room, which included our kids!! And after I got cleaned up our kids came right in to meet their baby brother! It was amazing!

I got my natural hospital birth again. No IV, my water broke on its own. I was able to labor in whatever position I wanted. Delayed cord clamping. I didn't even need the shot of pit after. The baby didn't get eye goop. No tearing. Over all it was a great experience. Just longer than I had anticipated.

Jonah warren, 7.5 20", 11:34am 7/28

~Em, Married to Matt since 7/3/04. Mommy to Layla 3/29/06, Eva 10/18/08, Zeke 2/4/11, and Jonah 7/28/13

Last edited by keekopeeko; August 1st, 2013 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
August 1st, 2013, 12:32 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,647
Great story and what an awesome hospital staff.
Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 10,745
Awesome birth story! Congratulations!!

Reply With Quote
August 4th, 2013, 07:33 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm a husker girl :)
Posts: 16,336
congrats! I love the pic of daddy snuggling him! adorable! you look beautiful, too!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0