Log In Sign Up

Lindsey Brooke 01/23/07

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,930
My birth story starts out like this:

I was having contractions Monday morning, but just like the week before I didn't think they would progress to anything and they even stopped in the afternoon. I remember feeling like I really didn't want to be around anyone or do anything besides clean a little. That night when Dh came home from school I was having some more contractions. Once we went to bed they didn't stop and they seemed to be coming every 7 min or so. I told Dh about them and warned him, to which he responded that he wished he had gotten to bed earlier since he was so tired. I couldn't sleep because they were consistent and painful. As I was laying there I felt a *pop* and thought to myself that it seems just how others have described their water breaking, but I felt myself and I wasn't wet and thought maybe it was just a bump from the babies head. Well, I went to get up and go to the bathroom and felt warm liquid that was NOT from going to the bathroom. It was clear and a lot. I told Dh "Ummm,... honey my water just broke." He got up and I told him to start getting everything ready. It was 2:00 a.m. at this time.

We called his mom to come stay with DD, but she said it would take too long to get there in time and we should call my brother who lived 5 min away first and she would come get her before he needed to get to college on time. So he shows up in record time and I am continuing to soak pads and have bad contractions. I call the midwife who was luckily already at the hospital and tells me I can labor at home as long as I want or come in if I think they are painful. They start coming every 2-3 min and are quite painful so we head out. We get to the hospital and Dh and I don't know where the emergency entrance is or where to park. Dh runs in and asks while I beg him not to leave me. Seconds later we park somewhere and run in at about 2:30 a.m. I have to stop at the double doors and then when I get in they get me a wheelchair and send escort us upstairs. I got in the room and my midwife checks and says I am complete and 6 cm dilated. She says if I want an epidural it had to be then, but she knew that I didn't want one and said I was doing great without it and that by the time I got it it would be too late anyway. I said no and got in the tub. I moaned with each contraction. Any of my relaxation techniques I planned to use went out the window and I just went with how I felt I could handle it. Moaning was the best technique I could have used and really helped me hone in on getting through each contraction.

My nurse was WONDERFUL and very supportive of my wanting to go natural. She encouraged and never mentioned drugs. Said someday when she had kids she wanted to go natural too. She told me to push the baby down. Finally I get out of the tub and get to the bed where the midwife says I am 8 cm. I then get on my hands and knees and tell Dh to massage my hips. It felt SO good! Midwife asks if I am having a contraction while he is massaging and I said no that it felt really good. So she said "Then it isn't helping you get this baby here and is counterproductive." I really wanted to stay that way since I was going to fast with very small breaks in between. The second I moved to my side I hit 10 and my body immediately started to push without me controlling anything. The midwife got suited up because she knew that this was serious and told Dh that the next contraction the baby would just shoot out. She started moving me to my back which isn't how I originally wanted to push- but I COULD not move she was so close. I kept telling her "I can't, I can't do this." She said "You ARE doing it and your body is going to do it whether you want to or not." The next contraction brought on this urge to push that was so intense I was shocked by it. The ring of fire is no little thing and I FELT that. I just screamed as the baby came because it was the most helpful thing to do. She seriously popped out in that one contraction and Dh said he knew I had hit my breaking point when I screamed out and he kept telling me that her head was almost out. When it did come out, so did a LOAD of fluid that hit the midwife and me in the head! She didn't have time to suction or anything and out came the rest of my little girl. She swallowed a big gulp of it and they had to work to get it out of her so she would cry.

The scary part is they knew I didn't want pitocin to help me contract and didn't want an IV, but the baby couldn't nurse right then and I was bleeding heavily. They gave me too shots in the leg of pitocin to try and go with my wishes, but it wasn't working. They eventually had to give me an IV and my blood pressure shot way up and I felt awful. They tried to keep me talking and I just couldn't. I felt tired and dizzy. They gave me some fluids to bring me back and that helped. My blood pressure returned finally. It was 2 hours of this and then they moved me to my recovery room and another hour later I saw my baby. That part was a little unfortunate since I had pictured loving her immediately, but I know I was bleeding WAY too much and I am glad we waited to get it under control. Luckily I had fantastic iron.

Lindsey Brooke was born at 4:04 on Jan 23rd 2007. She was 8 lbs 7 oz. BIG for being 2 weeks early! And bigger than DD Emily's 7 '2 at two weeks early. She is 21 1/2 inches long. She is beautiful and I just LOVE her to pieces! She has dark black hair and is a breastfeeding champ. They are concerned with one of her hips that may need a brace because of being breech for too long and turning late. So in two weeks we go for an ultrasound to see how it is. Everything about the hospital was WONDERFUL! Nothing was pushed on me, nurses were great- not one bad nurse. I loved the experience and am amazed at myself. I was told since I have a tendency to bleed with both births, next time I should plan to have a heplock so they can be cautious about keeping the bleeding down. The whole experience was eye opening. I never knew pain could be so intense and yet to be controlled. My Dh was the most amazing birth coach EVER! He never had a chance to shine with my other birth because other people pushed him out. He was supportive and wonderful. I will say that having the baby SO quickly was a surprise and shock to my system. I told Dh after the fact that I didn't know what I thought about going natural yet and he said "Sweetie, you may not have a choice next time." Which is true and I wondered that I would go quickly and this is why I said when I was pregnant that I bet the reason was because I wouldn't have time anyway. It turned out to be the case and I am glad it was my plan and I had resources instead of being shocked and surprised by it. All in all the recovery is GREAT without the epidural! I can move around so easily and came home a little over 24 hours later to my own house and my own bed. Ah... anyway, that is my birth story and I am thrilled that she is here and is a healthy, beautiful girl!!
Married 7 years to my wonderful Dh

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

Reply With Quote
January 25th, 2007, 12:37 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Salina, Kansas
Posts: 6,665
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Thanks for sharing. What an amazing birth story! You did so good, we are proud of you! YAY!
<div align="center">

Reply With Quote
February 7th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 180
Nice story. We're expecting to have our child in a hospital too so it's good that you had a good experience at one.

I'm a proud father to a bouncing baby boy!
Reply With Quote
February 23rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ocean Reef, WA
Posts: 31,927

Reply With Quote
January 31st, 2008, 06:57 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
Posts: n/a
great story! thanks for sharing and inspiring us!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0