Log In Sign Up

KJZ572008's D&C Experience on 5/7/2008

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To D&C Experiences LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 13
Send a message via Yahoo to KHARTMAN80
I found this forum very helpful in preparing me for my D&C procedure so I thought I would add my experience to help others. I found out I was pregnant in March 2008. My husband and I were so excited. My first doctor's appointment was on April 30th, my husband's birthday. We were elated. At the doctor's appointment, my OBGYN was all smiles until she did the ultrasound to confirm pregnancy. I was to be 8 weeks pregnant, but the yolk sac was only the size of 5 weeks. There was a fetal pole, but no embryo, no heartbeat. I started crying immediately. But my doctor insisted that we not give up hope. Maybe the dates were wrong. So we came back for another scan in 1 week. In that one week, I had started spotting but tried to put this in the back of my mind. Even if the dates were wrong, by this time, there should be a heart beat. My doctor sent us to the radiology department of the clinic for a more formal scan. I knew as soon as the scan tech said she needed to go get the actual radiologist that there had been no change. Even my husband cried this time. After the radiology apointment, I was sent up to my doctor's office and she was very sypathetic while explaining my options. I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum. I could let my spotting grow into a natural miscarriage but this could take awhile. Or I could have the D&C procedure and get everything over with. My husband agreed with me to just get this behind us and we opted for the D&C. I was scheduled for the next morning at 7:00am. I didn't sleep that night and I cried for hours on end. How could this happen to me when I wanted this baby so much and we had done our best to prepare for it? I had taken prenatal vitamins for 6 months prior to trying and had been working with a trainer to be in the best possible shape. I gave up soda and coffee (very hard for an engineer who works in a cubicle). And then this; I was very angry at my body. The morning of the procedure, I went to the hospital at 7:00 with an empty stomach and tears in my eyes. The nurses were great despite having to stick me 5 times for my IV. However, when I saw that my anethesiologist was pregnant, I started crying. She gave me something right away to sedate me and I said goodbye to my husband as he went to the waiting room. I remember being wheeled into the OR and seeing the really big lights. I scooted onto the operating table and saw the stirrups, but then I was asked to breath into the mask and I remember nothing. I woke up in the recovery room crying with a nurse blotting my tears. She said everything had gone great. I was then moved into a private room for a couple hours with my husband. I was having severe cramps right away and was feeling very nausous from the anethesia. The nurse told me it was from the pitocin in my IV to make sure my uterus was cramping to control the bleeding. She gave me some morphine and some anti-nausea meds in my IV and I went to sleep for awhile. I woke up to my husband trying to get me to drink some juice and eat a cracker. The nurse then helped me to the bathroom and told me to pee into this bowl for testing. It hurt so bad to pee and there was a lot of blood. But the nurse said this was normal and sent me home with my husband and a prescription for antibiotics. Today is the day after my procedure. I stayed home from work today, but I think I will go back tomorrow. I feel much better with only a little pain during urination left. My bleeding is very minimal today. I have to say that I do feel much better physically, I've been crying a lot and I know it will just take some time and family support for me to start feeling better emotionally. I do recommend the D&C procedure to help start the healing process. I won't forget my first baby though and I know my husband won't either. We both know that our angel is where he should be according to God's plan.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0