Log In Sign Up

Sue46's D&E at 17wks

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To D&C Experiences LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Sue46's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 1,418
My story is full of complications that have yet to run its full course.

I had a weird, worried feeling about the baby about 3 weeks ago, right after New Years. Something in my mind wasn't right. So I ordered a doppler off bellybeat to listen to the baby's hb. I got the doppler on Tue or Wed Jan 20 or 21st. I found the baby's hb right away w/ no problems. DH and I listened to it Tues, Wed, Thurs and Friday. We were both just so excited and relieved to hear it. Sat morning we wake up and no hb anywhere. We weren't worried, just thought baby had moved or something. We tried again that night, nothing. Sunday came and no hb. In my gut I knew, but DH kept trying to be positive, he'd make jokes to get my mind of things and tried to be cheering. I already had a scheduled appt for Mon afternoon so we just waited and went to the appt. Still no hb Mon. Got to the Dr and she didn't seem worried, she checked w/ the doppler to find nothing so we went in for an ultrasound where it was confirmed. Our baby had died sometime Friday night Jan 23. Our Dr told us that we could decide what we wanted to do, though I already knew I'd want a D&C since I had no signs of impending miscarriage naturally. No blood, cramps, nothing. I didn't want to wait, I wanted to move on.

BUT my Dr had other plans, she would not schedule me in for a D&C until she took blood and found that my HCG levels had actually started to decrease. She said she didn't want to perform an abortion. ***?!?! So now, I'm mad, it was torture to wait for blood draws, spaced every 4 days apart. With the help of my neighbors, I was able to get in to see a different Dr on Thursday who did another ultrasound and confirmed it again. They schedued me for a D&E for the next day, Friday Jan 30th. So on Thursday they started to dialate me by inserting these sticks into my cervix and then stuffing my vagina with gauze. It hurt so bad to walk after that, it was awful. This stuff was inside me until the next morning for the surgery.

We got to the hospital at 5am, where I changed immediately and gave a urine sample. At 6:45 they called me back for paperwork, blood pressure checks, luckily DH was able to follow me everywhere. When that was done, at about 7am they called me back to anesthia where I laid down and started just shaking uncontrollably. I've never been put under or had any surgery before this. The anesthialogist was talking to me, trying to distract me while his nurse put the IV in my hand. It hurt so bad and she couldn't find my vein. So he went and took out the needle and put it in my wrist. This was the worst part for me physically. I cried when he put it in. A few min laters, I said goodbye to DH and was rolled to the OR. They asked me to change tables and that is the last thing I remember.

I woke up to the anesthialogist calling my name and telling me that my heart had fluctuated during the first 10 min of being put under that I was going to stay overnight for observation. DH was brought back a minute later. I felt fine when I woke up but I was bleeding like crazy and had to pee soooo bad! I couldn't wait to be transferred to my room so I went in a bed pan. I was covered in blood down there, it was scary but I had no pain. As soon as I was put into my new room and all my vitals were taken again I was able to clean up and get much more comfortable. They did a ton of heart exams, 2 EKG's, an ultrasound of my heart, an xray, and had me hooked to a monitor continuously. They treated me well. I was released the next morning with a normal looking heart just with an emotional hole.

The bleeding actually completely stopped 2 days after the surgery, they never gave me any medicine to contract my uterus because the bleeding slowed on its own and they were scared to give it to me after what happened with my heart. I experienced no cramping or real pain with the surgery.

But I did develop another complication after being released. My breast became so severely engorged with no relief that mastitis developed. I'm on antibiotics now to help clear up the infection. I didn't know that could happen. It seems so cruel that all of these things can happen and my arms are empty.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0