Log In Sign Up

Justine's D&C experience: October 29, 2010

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To D&C Experiences LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2010, 04:18 PM
Mamma J's Avatar Proud Navy Wife & SAHM
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kingsland, GA
Posts: 2,270
After some unusual spotting on Wednesday the 27th, I called the doctor's office, who told me to come in ASAP. After the initial exam, it was found I was not actively bleeding. They did an ultrasound to check the baby and found there had been no growth in 2 weeks, as well as no heart beat.

After that, they explained what a missed miscarriage was, and that I could either wait for my body to realize what was going on, or I could opt for a D&C. Not in the frame of mind to make a decision, I told them I'd think about it.

The next day, I decided to schedule the D&C because I didn't think I could handle waiting around for it to happen. Not knowing when or where was making me an emotional mess. I also think opting for the D&C gave me some kind of control when I was stuck in a situation where I couldn't control the outcome. It was going to happen either way...letting me decide when made me feel a little more sane.

The D&C was scheduled for the day after I made my decision (God bless the doctor, she didn't make me wait). I couldn't eat anything past midnight, and I had to be at the hospital by 8:30 am. I got up early, had a sitter come to the house to watch over Aidan, and left for the hospital with my husband. I checked into admissions, and they took me back to a pre-op area where I undressed and put my belongings in a bag. They hooked me up to an IV and gave me an antibiotic to take with the teeniest amount of water. They had me sign some forms and the anesthesiologist came in to talk with me. They then got my husband from the waiting room and gave me the remote to the TV in my little cubicle to try and take my mind off of it. The doctor came in to explain the procedure to myself and my husband. I cried a bit, hearing her talk about it. She handed me tissues, patted my hand and left me with my husband, which I appreciated because no amount of talking was going to make me feel better.

Right before they wheeled me into the OR, they gave me something to relax me. I kissed my husband goodbye and they wheeled me into the OR. They gave me some oxygen, and strapped my arms down. The anesthesiologist talked to me as he administered the anesthesia. I remember asking if it was supposed to hurt my arm, because I felt a burning sensation in my arm and he calmed me down and told me everything was OK to try and relax. Probably within seconds after that, I was out.

According to my husband they wheeled me into recovery 15 minutes later. I didn't wake up until an hour after they told him I was out and everything went great. When I woke up, I asked if everything was over and if I could see my husband. The nurse checked my vitals and went to get him. When she left, it hit me all at once: my baby was gone. I started crying again. After I woke up it took about 20 minutes before they'd let me go. I felt fine...a tad bit woozy, but I thought my head was pretty clear. I had some pretty bad cramps, but they sent me home with a scrip for motrin, percocet, and more antibiotics.

The recovery at home has been fine. The bad cramping lasted only for 2 days. By Sunday motrin was all I needed for the cramps. It's been less than a week and the bleeding has already tapered off to almost nonexistent. It was never heavier than a light period, which I was thankful for.

Overall, the hardest part has been getting past it emotionally. But I do think if I had waited around for it to happen, I would have been way worse. It's just not something I think I would be capable of handling.

Reply With Quote
November 3rd, 2010, 08:32 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 22,034
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0