Log In Sign Up

Angela...'s D and C experiences

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To D&C Experiences LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,069
I though I would also share my experience because I found it very conforting to read everyones because it gave me more insight into it all and not just the little you read on the web.
I found out on Oct. 25th that I had lost my baby and had my D and C on the 26th. I had to be at the hospital 2 hours before my surgury. I got there at 7:30am and my surgury was at 10. I only waited in the waiting room for about an hour then I got called in the prep room. They took my weight, blood pressure and temp. In some cases, you cant use the rest room once you get to the hospital in case they have to get a sample but in my case they didnt need one.
Then a nurse came in to get my information while another nurse put in an IV and drew blood. They are getting so good at that. They now can numb it so you dont feel anything. I hate needles but I didnt feel a thing. By the time I ask if she put it in, she was drawing blood.
Then they let my husband in the room to wait with me until they rolled me into the OR. My surgury was a little behind because the first case backed everyone up. I ended up getting wheeled into the OR at about 10:20. That is a room I NEVER want to be in again in my life.
They put a medicine in your IV to help you relax. Then they strap your arms down because the OR has to stay cold and your bodies first reaction is to put your arms to your body. Then you might end up touching the tools they are using so that is why they strap your arms down.
After the surgery I remember waking up in the recovery room. It was like waking up from a dream. It took a minute to relize where I was. Then it hit me that it wasnt all a dream and it was real and that is when I lost it. I started crying and the nurse was so nice. Even though they deal with this everyday they still showed compation and loving care to me. That helped a lot. One thing that sucked in the recovery room was that my body was still getting ride of blood so I felt like I was peeing the bed but the nurse kept checking my pad and then gave me a new one and a pair of throw away underwear.
Then I went into the second recovery room where they offer you something to drink and crackers to eat. I only had water. Then they brought my husband back in. They said that I couldnt go home until I went to the bathroom so the nurse helped in the bathroom. This may scare some of you but when you go to the bathroom for the first time be prepared to see a lot of red in the bowl when you get up. It is normal and really the only time it was that bad for me. It hurt to see it but knew it could happen. Once I was dressed again the nurse wheeled me in a wheel chair to the car.
Now I'm home and have been relaxing. The only thing I'm going through now is some bleeding still and the cramping is the worst of it. I have to go in in two weeks for a follow up. I did find out during all this that I am RH negative so they gave me a shot for that while i was there. I hope this helps other woman understand the prossese. It is scary but in the end just knowing that I am now a mommy in a way and I can start trying again soon helps a lot to. And I cant forget my wonderful husband that helped me in whatever way he could.

Reply With Quote
November 17th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 70
I was told about the blighted ovum on a Tuesday and told I had the right to a 2nd opinion of course from another dr. I chose to beleive my dr as I was already 7 weeks plus and nothing but an empty sac was there, all the while my symptoms were gone. Was sure of the date, as I calculated OV, not by stick or monitor, but by natural methods. So we scheduled the D&C at the hospital for 2 days later. Thursday morning my husband and I go there early in the morning just after putting our son on the bus for school. My dr showed up about 10 minutes later and we left my husband at the front desk. The first thing they did to me (I'm trying hard to remember, I was crying and knew my eyes would swell so I wore my glasses that morning not my contacts) is take my blood pressure and make me strip completely and put on this stupid robe that had just a tie in the back. I held it closed and waited for the nurse to return. They asked me to lay on the gurney and rolled me into the OR. Small talk, asking if it was gonna hurt, and answering their questions about how old I am etc.. (all the while the dr was there I dont know why he just didnt update them)... Doc and I specifically stated our desire that a chromosomal karyotype be done on any tissue they recovered. Again I asked, will it hurt? The last thing I remember is my doc looking at me and saying "Goodnight Debbie" (funny how that makes me smile ..I can only blame that 12 months have passed since then) I woke up in recovery w/ the most amazingly hysterical dream, I actually woke up laughing.. The dream was.. I was sitting in a chat room and chatting with my doctor asking him, or rather typing to him, "is it finished yet?" and just as he was about to answer I woke up and realized the insanity of that and broke out laughing, the nurses must have given me some strong meds!
Well needless to say they rolled me back to recovery and I lay there 20 minutes crying my eyes out and feeling so empty.. even though I knew my baby had stopped developing weeks prior. Another thing that got my nerves up was I was just convinced that some staff thought I was there for an elective abortion
That and the patients being rolled in and out were also there for the same.. I couldnt handle the irony of it and cried some more. My doctor was very compassionate, I won't trade him for anything, without that I would have been alot worse.

Oh and I forgot to mention the karyotype tested positive for trisomy 22, which is what he was saying all along.. probably a chromosomal defect. I was glad (in some sick way) that I didn't have to make that decision myself but God made it for me because it was full trisomy (not mosaicism)
which was completely incompatible with life. But had the baby lived by some miracle it was about 1000 times worse than downs, complete physical deformities.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0