Log In Sign Up

Need help making a decision

Forum: The Mommy Lounge


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,469
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
Monday the 23rd I go for second interview with the executive chef for that hospital position. Well he has waited it will be 2 weeks for me for this interview. So he must see some qualities in me. If offered a position. How much more money do you think I should accept before putting my 2 weeks notice on my current job. The first interview they told me the pay scale. But was not told where on that scale I could start at if offered a position. Top starting pay was 15.79$ with the lowest starting pay 11.29$. I get 10.50 and hour now with 11.50 an hour for weekend work. Then bennies would be similar. And similar in my share of the monthly premium to get them. I'm starting to not mind the job I have now. Still put up with sassy lazy teenagers. But it's probably the same anywhere teens work. My current supervisor is ok. Either job I'd still be taking a city bus to work. Just the new job if offered to me would be opposite directions. I asked dh to help me decide what to do if offered a hospital position. He says I don't know. He's suppose to be my support person. Although the hospital job would be 40hrs a week. I get 32hours a week now. I'm happy at 32 hours as long as I have our son still needing me at home some of the time. But could work things out at 40 hours a week if had to be. I hate changing jobs so soon. I don't want to burn any bridges along the way. But if I can make more money elsewhere. I know I shouldn't refuse it. Actually for my mental well being. The title on my name badge reading assistant chef would make me feel good. Like I am somebody important.
Reply With Quote
August 18th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Rylee'sMommy03's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Lutz, Florida
Posts: 6,138
Send a message via Yahoo to Rylee'sMommy03
I would try for $13.00 an hour. It's right in the middle.
Reply With Quote
August 18th, 2004, 10:13 AM
mom2one's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,422
Any opportunity to make more pay is understandable. All booss'/companies know this.

I would say go with the one that you see a future in. Maybe an environment you can move up in. Ok so, you stay at your current job, do you get regular raises and is there a cap to what you can make? At the new job, notice the top scale? Well even if you started at the lower end, you have room to grow and move up. They tend to start at the low end to see how things work out. Then usually after a month or so, you are doing great, they go ahead and move your pay up to more of the middle. Then you would also have more room to move up to the top of that scale. Basically with the second job, you know your potential right off the bat with that pay scale. Do you have the same info available at your current job? What is the pay scale and how fast can you move up it!!

Things to weigh are

potential salary pay
# of hours
Desirable work schedule
People you will be working with/for

I have had no problem quiting a job for something better. It's the way I've worked up to the pay I make now. If I would have stayed in my previous jobs, I wouldn't be where I am now.
~Nicole~ Mom to Anna, age 3!
Reply With Quote
August 18th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,469
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
This is all a thought too. I don't know what the maximum amount I will get on current job. Just in 3 months I get a review and a raise if they like my work at the review. But I don't know how much raise. I feel awkward talking money with work. Well I can't just go ask my coworkers how much they make. Meaning asking the other cooks their pay. They might think something bad about that. That is a personal issue. All I can do is wait till Monday. If they offer me a job. I'd say well if I can get 12$ an hour to start I would take the position. But I will ask again will they hold the position for me to give 2 weeks notice. For the kind of cooking I do now. I think they can get anyone who is capable of cooking or at least following a recipe to do the job. Where as at the hospital. I can see needing to know a lot more to do the job.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0