Groceries

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2006, 02:26 PM
Regular
I was just wondering what is usually on your Grocery list and how much you spend.

Do you think it's difficult bringing your little one with you?
November 3rd, 2006, 08:55 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
My "grocery" list is actually my "walmart/sams club" list... I get all of our supplies at once. I also buy in bulk and freeze things. I can easily spend $400 on one trip and then only $15 on the next (for fresh items like milk). I buy expensive things like meats every 6 weeks. By getting the bulk packages, I can save money splitting the meats into ziplock freezer bags. I also save time by putting marinades in the bag before freezing. That way, I can take meats out a couple at a time, let them defrost (and marinate) in the bottom of the fridge, and put them in a covered dish @ 350 degrees for an hour. It's very, very easy to make a healthy, cheap dinner that way.
November 4th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Regular
That's a great way to do it! So, do you go shopping less often. That would be a lifesaver for me.

We spend about $150 on Groceries and $70 at Target, Walmart, or Kmart.
November 5th, 2006, 11:17 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
That's a great way to do it! So, do you go shopping less often. That would be a lifesaver for me.[/b]
I don't necessarily go less often, because things like fresh fruits or milk need to be picked up regularly. It's just that I can run in, grab a couple of things, go through the speedy checkout line, and go home... OR ... I can call dh at work and say, "honey... can you pick up some milk on the way home, pleeeeeeeeeeease?" In that sense, yes, I shop less often.

If you're looking for a way to spend less on groceries, come over to the financial board (link in my siggy). We've got some great budgeters over there who can give you some pointers! Going on a cash diet is a great idea. zacksmama could explain that to you. She's great.
November 5th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Marissa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Marissa Send a message via Yahoo to Marissa
Groceries come up to 100 - 150 a week, depends on the week.. Each week the list changes
November 6th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Sassy5d's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My grocery bill varies from time to time..

I try different stratagies...

Sometimes I just go and think of a few nights meals and buy what I need for each meal..

Sometimes I just go and buy all the things I think we need..

I try to save the cleaning supplies for the times I only need a few things b/c I'm now obsessed with tide with febreeze and that tends to be pricey..(but now I buy it at the close-out store and save a bunch of $$$)

I have no problem taking my son with me..He's very nosey and loves to people watch.. He's actually better shopping then he is at home (he's teething those molars right now and has been quite the pistol at home but happy at the store)

If I buy a few nights worth of meals it usually costs me about 40-50..
If I go buy everything we are short on it usually costs me about 100.
When i buy cleaning supplies it's usually groceries and supplies about 100.

I shop at my superwalmart.

Becky
November 7th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Nina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Nina
I go grocery shopping twice a month and I usually spend $200 each time, sometimes more. I have to go alone. I can't focus on what I need to get done with kids there.

xxx

November 8th, 2006, 07:17 AM
ERICKA77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We go grocery shopping every 2 weeks and usually spend about $200 each time. We get the same sort of things for lunch and breakfast. Dinner items is a different list each week. The whole family usually goes grocery shopping. So far it hasn't been difficult to go shopping with the baby, but he is only 5 months old..lol..

November 16th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Savages_Wifey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Savages_Wifey Send a message via MSN to Savages_Wifey Send a message via Yahoo to Savages_Wifey
It varies week to week what my grocery list is...I spend about a good $200 a month but that is only for two people right now...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search