What dietary food principles do you use?!

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2010, 10:20 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So, back to what Meghan and I were discussing in the other thread....

I use some of the same principles, but I won't eliminate nuts/legumes, wild rice (I rarely eat white rice) and sweet potatoes etc. 95% of the food I buy is organic and hardly any of it is boxed/processed. I use the 30/15/45/15/60/15 diabetic plan. Those are the carb counts for each meal which is breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and snack. Never go more than 2.5-3hrs between them. Each meal must have a starch, a protein and a fat. No simple sugars/carbs. Most of the principles do stem from the South Beach Diet (I love their stage 2 and 3, but any diet that eliminates carbs to under 100/day is not one I support). The overall best book I have found that I seem to follow most is The Maker's Diet.

April 18th, 2010, 10:13 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I should clarify that I eat plenty of nuts, just not peanuts since they are legumes. I eat all other nuts, one of the staples of my diet is almonds because they are easy to carry around.

But, I follow the Primal Blueprint which is a little less strict version of the Paleo Diet. Which both are very similar to The Maker's Diet minus eating grains and legumes.

The idea behind not eating grains and legumes is that on my way of eating yo eat only foods that are safe to eat raw or unprocessed. Since both grains and legumes need processing to remove the poisons in them I don't eat them regularly. The toxins that are in these foods are diminished by the processing, but not destroyed. These toxins can build up in your system, especially if you are sensitive to them, or have any damage in your gut...such as being caused by taking antibiotics. This build up causes inflammation and inflammation leads to problems in the body including; heart disease, arthritis and autoimmune diseases (like Hashimotos, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, etc.)

The raw limit does not include meats, because meat is edible raw. We just don't do it because it is contaminated with bacteria. We are cooking the meat to destroy the bacteria, not to change the composition of the meat itself.

My father has had severe allergies and pretty bad arthritis in his knees and shoulders for years. He is 61 years old, so that is to be expected. When he changed to this diet his arthritis is gone and he has had less problems with his allergies, and has not had an asthma attack this year. I had very bad plantar fasciitis in my left foot for almost two years, I was ready to go to the foot doctor and have a cortisone injection. After switching to this way of eating two weeks later my foot was better.

Now, like I said in the other post. I don't totally eliminate everything. I just try to keep it to a minimum. But, if I go to a good Italian restaurant and want to eat the bread dipped in olive oil, I have it. We made meatloaf the other day and used bread crumbs, but we buy Ezekial (however the heck that is spelled) bread now since the grain is sprouted and that helps to get out more of the lectins than just baking does. We have pizza once a month or so. And I refuse to EVER give up chocolate, I eat it EVERY day!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Last edited by NutMeg76; April 18th, 2010 at 10:15 AM.
April 18th, 2010, 05:39 PM
LOL... I eat dark chocolate every day as well. I can see what you're saying about the grains, however many years ago and since the beginning of time.... they ate breads, rice etc. I think the processes these days are different than they used to be. They use chemicals, unless you buy organic. I don't think diets like that are ones that are lifelong. When I decide what foods I want to eat and not eat, it's generally in my mind of...."Can I NOT eat this for the rest of my life?" Now, one food item isn't that hard to do that with, but a list of them seems unrealistic. JMO.

April 19th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Interestingly humans have not been eating those foods for very long. We only started eating grains about 10,000 years ago, which is not enough time for our bodies to have adapeted to the proteins in them that cause problems.

Before the introduction of these foods to the human diet we did not have many of the diseases that people suffer from now. Paleolithic humans were healthier than modern man. If they avoided accidental death, and did not get an infection they lived well into their 70s without any type of degenetrative disease.

When food became industrialized it added even more diseases, what we call the diseases of modern man, or diseases of the Western Civilization. Particularly metabolic syndrome and auto-immune problems.

So for me, not eating poison is easy. If you think of it as food, then yes it is difficult to say, "I can't eat that" But since to me it is not food it definitely makes it easier to not eat it. But, like I said I don't totally elminate it, I just keep the amounts I eat of those foods to a minimum. How awesome I feel makes it easy to stick to the plan.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Totally agree. Which is why I buy mostly organic. I stay away from processed foods whenever possible. Most of the articles I have read about autoimmune diseases, particularly thyroid, the main causes seem to be pesticide/chemical bleaching of foods such as bread/chlorine in our water/preservatives/antibiotics, hormones, rbgh etc. There are other suspected causes such as the contents of soy, an estrogen (which is why I believe hypothyroidism effects mostly women), in just about everything we eat. I know that it is impossible to avoid everything, but buying organic is the best I can do in that area.

When I shop at reg grocery stores, I find there is WAY too much junk in everything they sell. Which is why Whole Foods is my main store..... their stuff has the most simple/fewest ingredients and I don't need a be a chemist to know what's in it.

Another thing that I believe that's a culprit is the amount of sugars we Americans consume. 50yrs ago having a Coke was a treat and a rarity. These days, people drink 2-3 or even 5-6 Cokes a day on top of the rest of the junk they eat. DH's g'pa grew up on a farm and tells us all the time about how their diet 60-70yrs ago was completely different than today. The crops were organically grown, next to no processing, desserts and sweets weren't regularly eaten, things were made from scratch, they drank milk straight from the cow, churned their own butter and cream and they ate MUCH smaller portion sizes as complete meals (always a starch, protein and some veggie). He's never been more than 5lbs from the weight he was in high school! I wish I could say that! Our generation were raised with microwaves, boxed meals. It's sad that the more developed we become the more health problems people have and the sooner we're dying.

April 19th, 2010, 10:55 AM
SIn't that crazy! We have all this 'nutritionism' and supplements, and all kinds of foods that scream "I AM HEALTHY" but you look and the first ingredient is high fructose corn syrup, or some type of soy by-product. To me those are just junk food.

We don't have a Whole Foods close enough to shop there on a regular basis, luckily the Commissary has enough of a selection that we don't starve. We order our meat on-line so we can get as much grass-fed meat as we can. And every month or so we go to a farm in PA and buy raw milk, raw butter and raw cheese, so delicious. We also have a little farm near out house where we get fresh egg, cage free/free range.....wow, they are so much yummier!

Sail Back to Me
April 19th, 2010, 01:24 PM
We have 8 chickens and get eggs everyday from them and LOVE it! I buy grass fed beef too.

April 19th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Lucky!!!! I wish we could have chickens.

Sail Back to Me
April 19th, 2010, 04:10 PM
No store bought egg can even compare!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search