Okay, what would you do

Forum: Widely Spaced Siblings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Widely Spaced Siblings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, so my boy, nathan, has "hung out " with the "guys" from work. I know they drink, mostly because they are 20 and 21. Nana is 17. They came here, and I took car keys and all that. I allowed the guys to hang out in the garage..pretending tha tI didn't know what was going on...and it was okay, I suppose. However, Nathan has been pegged at work and the other employees have been also as to who bought the underage boys the alchohol. I never bought the alcohol....NEVER WILL. There is no implication here, going on. HOwever, I have been battling in my mind how I should handle this situation.

As a teen, I was out of control. I had NO parental supervision. My mom and dad THOUGHT they knew. I have many bad stories to consider. I allow my baby Nathan more priveldges more then most I suppose....He has a job, he is gonna graduate early, he is a good kid....

WHat do you think? My man says to let it go...na na is a good boy. HE refuses to drink and drive....I am happyh bout that...but what about the other? Should I allow? SHould I turn a shoulder? what? any thoughts girls???
March 26th, 2007, 11:15 PM
blythe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am at a loss for advice on this one... I "stand on the fence" really on this issue. My parents were obliging when it came to letting us kids drink at home a little and none of us ever had problems with it. We never went drinking and driving..always kept it at home. In fact, I think because I didn't have to "rebel" to get alcohol, I never developed a true taste for it, even in college when all of my friends were binge drinking. Today, I like a wine cooler on the front porch swing in the summer on a hot summer night on occasion with my DH or a cold beer after mowing the yard but that's about it.

BUT now most states I think have the "Parents who host, lose the most" laws where parents found to be furnishing/allowing alcohol to kids in the home can go to jail pretty easily...That would be the only thing I would be worried about. I would be afraid of what the other kids' parents are gonna say or do...

I guess I would be glad that the boys are at your house instead of out somewhere else and that your son is close to where you can "keep an eye out for him" for the most part...

I'm not sure what else to think or say..probably because it's 1am and I'm online when I should be sleeping!!LOL I will think on this one and let you know if I have any more ideas..hope I'm making sense.LOL Sorry I'm not much help!!

March 27th, 2007, 08:14 AM
AnnikasMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to AnnikasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to AnnikasMommy
I never drank till I moved out of my mom's house (18). Brandon, however, has had a few beers with his dad since turning 18. His keys are taken up and he is monitored. If he's old enough to serve our country then I don't see where he isn't old enough to drink. (With in reason) Brandon has been mature about it. He doesn't get stupid. He's fairly responsible and as I said he's an adult child now. I think as long as no one is leaving after drinking, they are not acting stupid then I see no problem with it. If you, as a parent, don't have a problem with it then just leave it at that.

Now with that being said, I would not allow anyone else under the age of 21 drink under my supervision. Brandon has had friends over and I told him he was not to drink with his friends. They are under 21 and I will not be held responsible for someone else's children. His friends that are 21 and up they are more then welcome at the house. We have standing house rules. You drink you don't drive. You want to go home you take a cab or I will take you home. I dont' drink so I'm always the "sober" one.

Maybe this makes me a bad mom. I don't know. I wasn't kept under thumb growing up but my mom set expectations of me. Once I was out of her house, working fulltime and was an "adult" I did pretty much what I pleased when I pleased but still asked myself if my mom would be happy with me for this.

March 27th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
THanks guys. I appreciate the advise. I agree, and have always said the same thing: If your old enough to die for our country, you should be able to have a beer. My hubby is very relaxed about the issue. He doesn't see anything wrong with Nath drinking...within reason. Nathan has never gotten stupid drunk around me.
I guess you hit is home when you said you didn't want to be supervising a bunch of underage drinking. Thats my problem, I guess. And seriously, I don't want to go to jail. So maybe I should get parents permission? I just want it coming back on me later. All the guys told me that their parent's knew they drank...but they could be lying. So I will think on this some more. THanks again for your imput.
March 27th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Becky, call a parent gathering with the boys parents. Put it on the table and see what their take on the issue is. This way you know for sure which side of the fence everyone is on.

March 27th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Jendaly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Jendaly Send a message via Yahoo to Jendaly
I have no advice as my DS is only 6, but I know this issue will come to play for me too. I am sending and I wish you much luck. They grow up so fast don't they.

Oh, I do have one piece of advice, CYA!!!
March 28th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Oh, I do have one piece of advice, CYA!!![/b]
That is the best piece of advice around.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search