Baby name Lilith: Adam's first wife...

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2009, 12:33 AM
Brookem's Avatar Veteran
I recently learned that a little girl I provide childcare for has the middle name Lilith. As it turns out, ancient folklore says that Lilith is the name of Adam's first wife. She was created by the same dust and therefore claimed equality... she would not submit to Adam. Thus, Eve was created from Adam's rib to ensure that he would be dominant.

Okay... I'm obviously not religous whatsoever but I do find the very existance of the bible interesting and I actually enjoy learning things like this. Lilith was essentially the worlds first femanist. I love it! To the average, unknowing person "Lilith" is a beautiful middle name. With an excellent story.

DH and I are on the fence about the middle name, as neither of us have serious attachment to our own.

Any thoughts on Lilith? Any other suggestions you may have on the topic? I would love to find a beautiful name that adds a little controversy.

Thanks!
December 31st, 2009, 06:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookem View Post
I recently learned that a little girl I provide childcare for has the middle name Lilith. As it turns out, ancient folklore says that Lilith is the name of Adam's first wife. She was created by the same dust and therefore claimed equality... she would not submit to Adam. Thus, Eve was created from Adam's rib to ensure that he would be dominant.

Okay... I'm obviously not religous whatsoever but I do find the very existance of the bible interesting and I actually enjoy learning things like this. Lilith was essentially the worlds first femanist. I love it! To the average, unknowing person "Lilith" is a beautiful middle name. With an excellent story.

DH and I are on the fence about the middle name, as neither of us have serious attachment to our own.

Any thoughts on Lilith? Any other suggestions you may have on the topic? I would love to find a beautiful name that adds a little controversy.

Thanks!
That is really cool! It brought a smile to my face. I never knew that. I LOVE the name. Even more so now. I am not good with baby names and meanings, so hopefully someone else will chime in with suggestions. You can always try to the Baby Names forum too. Welcome again!

December 31st, 2009, 08:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ooh. Thats really cool. I didn't know that. Makes me like the name a little more, I always associated it with that TV character, Frasier (because that was the anme of his ex wife).

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

December 31st, 2009, 09:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmom View Post
Ooh. Thats really cool. I didn't know that. Makes me like the name a little more, I always associated it with that TV character, Frasier (because that was the anme of his ex wife).
So I guess you're too young for "Cheers," which is where Frasier and Lilith met, courted, married, and divorced!
January 1st, 2010, 01:56 AM
I think it's a great idea for a middle name. It has meaning behind it, which makes it all the better.
January 1st, 2010, 09:09 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like the name, but I also think of Lilith Crane.

January 2nd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Brookem's Avatar Veteran
I too thought of Lilith from Frasier... I wouldn't go with this exact name bacuse there was a lot of thought given to it and I see these parents and the little girl on a regular basis. I want it to remain unique for her. I LOVE the idea and wanted to go with something similar.

Thanks for your support - I wan't sure how it was going to go
January 13th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Brandielou's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is so neat! I've never heard of that, I think I would love it, too!

Thank you HeatherW for my beautiful siggy!
May 30th, 2018, 01:43 AM
Aletheia's Avatar Newbie
My daughter's middle name is "Lilith".

Lilith (Hebrew: לילית‎; lilit, or lilith) is a character in Jewish
mythology, found earliest in the Babylonian Talmud (completed between
500 and 700 AD/CE), who is generally thought to be related to a class
of female demons Līlīṯu in Mesopotamian texts.

Stephen Langdon (1914) claims that Babylonian texts depict Lilitū as
the sacred prostitute of the goddess Ishtar, the Assyrian and
Babylonian counterpart to the Sumerian Inanna.[69] Hurwitz similarly
claims that older Sumerian accounts assert that Lilitū is called the
handmaiden of Inanna or "hand of Inanna" . The Sumerian texts[which?]
state, "Inanna has sent the beautiful, unmarried, and seductive
prostitute Lilitū out into the fields and streets in order to lead men
astray." That is why Lilitū is called the "hand of Inanna".

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search