Favorite books (not related to atheism)

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What are some of your favorite books not related to atheism or lack of believing in god? I am looking for some good reads.

January 12th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
I'm sure you've read them but I love the Harry Potter series. On facebook, I'm in a group called Rachel's Reads. She's a friend of mine from high school and she reads a TON of books. She writes a little blurb about all of the books she reads and you might find some good ones through her. Just thought I'd mention it in case you wanted to join the group.
January 17th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I actually haven't read Harry Potter yet. A friend has been promising to let me borrow them but we both keep forgetting.
Thanks, I just joined that group. I'll check it out tomorrow!

January 17th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward is really good. It's one of those ones that I thought, ick. Not my thing. But I was instantly addicted. Takes the lady WAY too long to write the new ones.
If you've never read Girl, Interrupted... That's a good one too. Classic.
The Host by Stephenie Meyer (the Twilight lady) is a GREAT book.
Anything by J.D. Robb if you like crime/mystery novels, or a major butt-kickin' female main character.
Atlas Shrugged is an oldie, but goodie! (And longie. It's a huge book.)
Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, if you like humor/sci-fi.
Blue Dahlia (and then the accompanying Black Rose and Red Lily) by Nora Roberts, if you like romance-y books. There's a bit of supernatural weirdness mixed into these ones, too.
Long Walk To Freedom, Nelson Mandela's autobiography, is a really surprisingly good read. Most autobiographies are pretty boring. This one isn't.
The Kite Runner, if you haven't already read it.
January 17th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna. View Post
The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward is really good. It's one of those ones that I thought, ick. Not my thing. But I was instantly addicted. Takes the lady WAY too long to write the new ones.
If you've never read Girl, Interrupted... That's a good one too. Classic.
The Host by Stephenie Meyer (the Twilight lady) is a GREAT book.
Anything by J.D. Robb if you like crime/mystery novels, or a major butt-kickin' female main character.

Atlas Shrugged is an oldie, but goodie! (And longie. It's a huge book.)
Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, if you like humor/sci-fi.
Blue Dahlia (and then the accompanying Black Rose and Red Lily) by Nora Roberts, if you like romance-y books. There's a bit of supernatural weirdness mixed into these ones, too.
Long Walk To Freedom, Nelson Mandela's autobiography, is a really surprisingly good read. Most autobiographies are pretty boring. This one isn't.
The Kite Runner, if you haven't already read it.
We have similar taste- I've read everything I put in bold! LOL. I'm going to see if any of the others are available on paperbackswap so I can get them for free!

January 17th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
AWESOME! I've never been able to find any other Black Dagger Brotherhood fans! (I can't even convince anyone to read them lately! ARGH!) Ward is working on another series right now, parallel to BDB... Can't remember what it is at the moment, but it's got something to do with angels. I've read the one book that's come out so far, and it's not half bad. Not as good as the BDB books, but it's funny how often the angel book referred to stuff that's been brought up in BDB.

ETA: the book's called Covet. I just looked it up.

Last edited by Jenna; January 17th, 2010 at 09:32 PM.
January 20th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna. View Post
AWESOME! I've never been able to find any other Black Dagger Brotherhood fans! (I can't even convince anyone to read them lately! ARGH!) Ward is working on another series right now, parallel to BDB... Can't remember what it is at the moment, but it's got something to do with angels. I've read the one book that's come out so far, and it's not half bad. Not as good as the BDB books, but it's funny how often the angel book referred to stuff that's been brought up in BDB.

ETA: the book's called Covet. I just looked it up.
I've read mine so many times they are torn up, LOL. I need to buy new copies. I heard about that other series, I'm not sure about buying them though. I wasn't into Lassiter or his story really... except just curiosity between him and Wrath's past. I can't wait for Xhex and John's story!

January 21st, 2010, 08:35 AM
.Sam.'s Avatar "All we need is love..."
I like Sarah Dessen a lot. I like Nora Roberts a lot too. Really I just read whatever looks interesting.
March 5th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Brookem's Avatar Veteran
Anything by Jodi Picoult. I love her! I have read them all. I have to admit (although this does tie into being an Athiest) that I just couldn't get into "Keeping Faith" which was about a little girl named faith that experienced stigmata.

My Sister's Keeper was my favorite. I read it about 5 years ago and reread it before the movie came out. I think "19 minutes" is her latest...?
March 5th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
19 minutes is older I believe, but it's a fantastic read! Maybe not older, but definitely not newer. I love her books too.
Has anyone read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins? Oh man those are AMAZING!!! If you get it, buy the next one "Catching Fire" too. You will be pissed when you finish the first one (in 1 reading, trust me) and the 2nd one isn't handy to pick up!

May 30th, 2018, 01:52 AM
Aletheia's Avatar Newbie
Ender's Game

Snowcrash

Neuromancer

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search