What's the most off the wall thing a "believer" has ever said to you?

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Cali*Luvin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Every time i have had issues with my husband my Christian friend has to keep telling me i'll pray for you that you work things out with your dh.

Another one was it was god that brought us together so we could be friends, more like that we were neighbors and we met cos we were neighbors and our kids started playing together. Nothing to do with god. Get a life already.

All your friends are Christians so it was god who brought you together. More like majority of the town are Christians. Again nothing to do with god.

August 7th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, another personal favorite of mine is when this religious nut (one of the biggest hypocrites I had ever known) told me the reason my daughter has a life threatening seizure condition was because we did IUI to conceive her and it was not "God's will" therefore I am being 'punished'.

But it was so Christian and 'godly' for her to go get a cheap hotel one night with the alcoholic abusive husband she had left, dragging her 11 year old son along with her, and have 'make-up" sex right in front of him after the police had left the room after she called on him for 'domestic' disturbance. Now, the pregnancy the resulted from that night was a "miracle" and from god even though she had three kids and was essentially homeless and broke going from home to home.

Yep, I done went and sinned for having a baby out of love with my husband who had so badly wanted to be a father but suffered male factor fertility issues which led us to have to have the IUI. *** was I thinking?

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
August 7th, 2010, 04:21 PM
emeraldeyedimp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was helping a friend of mine who is Mormon pick out some clothes for an upcoming date, and I suggest a colored shirt to go under the button up shirt because the white one that he was wearing didn't look right. He turned to me and said something along the lines of "I'd rather stick to the white undershirt than risk the protection of the lord - I'll be safer with the white one". Seriously!?!?!? Like god has it in with Hanes?

Thanks to Jaques for the super cute siggy. Marshall is loving being paired with Hannah, she is super sweet.
August 7th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyedimp View Post
I was helping a friend of mine who is Mormon pick out some clothes for an upcoming date, and I suggest a colored shirt to go under the button up shirt because the white one that he was wearing didn't look right. He turned to me and said something along the lines of "I'd rather stick to the white undershirt than risk the protection of the lord - I'll be safer with the white one". Seriously!?!?!? Like god has it in with Hanes?
Ah yes, the ol' Jesus Jammies.

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

August 9th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyedimp View Post
I know this is a "making fun" video, but it may explain why your friend had to wear the under cloths he had on or not be protected by god. Honestly that really isn't all that off the wall of a thing for a Mormon to think. Though since they are not supposed to talk about it to a non-believer, it is a little strange he would actually say that to you. :-)

Magic Mormon Underwear

August 10th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I want some magic underwear.

August 10th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found a website a while back (I wish I could remember what it was) that detailed all the secret Mormon ceremonies, the deal with magic underwear, and had a forum for ex-Mormons.... They revealed A LOT of stuff that the general public isn't supposed to know about. Also, LiveLeak has a recording of the temple ceremony on their site if you're interested, but it's very muffled. I wonder where he/she hid the microphone, LOL.

Anyway, not to derail the thread.... Yesterday I was playing World of Warcraft, and people were talking trash as usual, and someone sarcastically said "Have a blessed day." I sent him a private message instantly identifying him as a southerner... I swear they ONLY say that here in the south, lol. Turned out he's from Michigan, but his family is in Texas and he picked it up from them. "Have a blessed day" is just such a STRANGE thing to see in a chat dialogue that mainly consists of gay and racial slurs and people telling each other how much they suck at the video game. (Any WoW players here probably know what I'm talking about.... Trade channel, ugh.)
August 10th, 2010, 10:15 PM
How can anyone forget the absurd things Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson have said through the years? The purple Teletubbie is gay? 9/11 was caused by homosexulity? The recent Haitian earthquake was because the Hatians made a pact with the devil 300 years ago? Does Pat belive in voodoo too?

We could probably devote an entire thread on those two and their foot-in-mouth disease alone LOL Even other Xtians are embarrassed to be associated with those two.
August 12th, 2010, 09:29 PM
no.absolutes's Avatar absolutelyNOT
My mom once told me that I got pregnant by my boyfriend (now husband) with our son as punishment from God for having sex before marriage, but God forgave us and that is why we have our beautiful son.

No. We had sex. We got pregnant. The end!

August 13th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Wildfire37's Avatar Regular
"But don't you want to believe in god...like..just in case you're wrong?"

I've had this said to me multiple times by people.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the great sig!

August 14th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfire37 View Post

Sure but should I also believe in Zeus, Allah, Thor, Sheba, Mithras....just in case as well.

Another "make fun" video. I've Converted to EVERY religion (just in case)

August 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our old neighbor, was a total sweetheart and very catholic. A little while after we told her we would be moving, she told me that she was praying to god that the move wouldn't go through, and that she had planted one of the saints (I forget which one, but one of them has something to do with real estate???) upside down in the back yard as insurance. I think she was joking, but I wouldn't put it past her.
August 16th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Wildfire37's Avatar Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmela View Post
Sure but should I also believe in Zeus, Allah, Thor, Sheba, Mithras....just in case as well.

Another "make fun" video. I've Converted to EVERY religion (just in case)
I LOVE Edward Current. His videos are hilarious.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the great sig!

September 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM
jessicams
We were talking about the fact that I used to go to church but left for various reasons and she said to me
"You're going to burn in the most fiery pits of hell for abandoning god"
September 10th, 2010, 09:00 PM
viXen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was told I would never be a complete person without religion, that I would never know who I truly was.

But I know who I am, which is why I deal with pain and grief as it is actually happening, not making excuses and coming up with reasons NOT to deal with it. (I don't say stuff like this out loud to disrespect anyone, but when someone attacks me, I can barely contain myself!)

Last edited by viXen; September 11th, 2010 at 07:23 AM.
September 13th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
I would have to say "You don't have any morals without God" by my child-molester father.

September 14th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't think of anything someone said to me that is truly outrageous, but I can think of something someone acted like....

When Genevive got sick in the NICU, and we knew she was not likely to live, My husband requested a catholic priest to come baptise her and do some sort of blessing. Which is fine with me, it is important to him.

However the hospital called a different chaplin that was nearby, This woman was not catholic, she was from a different christian religion. She had come by before and offered to pray with me for our babies when they were first born, which I respectfully declined. So my husband tells her that he is catholic and must have a catholic chaplin to do it, and she goes and calls the catholic chaplin from the childrens hospital next door.

BUT THEN.... She comes back and starts flocking around us like a vulture. She just circled back and forth by Genevive's warmer, muttering to herself like a crazy woman (I assume praying for Genevive, who knows). She did this until the catholic chaplin came, while he did the baptism, while he and my husband did their little prayer blessing thing, and then even after he left. Just watching us the whole time. By this time, I was a bit stressed out, trying to deal with the whole "my baby is dieing" thing. I yelled at her, she isn't some slideshow attraction you know. I Called the social worker and asked that she tell her to leave and not to ever approach me or my babies again.

I mean ***, the first time she ever came by I made it clear to the woman I am not religious. In fact I told her straight out "I don't pray"?

And for that matter, I have only ever prayed once in my life and it was later on that night asking god if he truly exists to save my daughter. And she died anyway, even though my husband is a devout catholic (except the whole marrying a heathen part I guess). So if god does exist, he sucks big Things I shouldn't mention on a public forum!
September 14th, 2010, 08:00 PM
(((HUGE HUGS))) to you. I am so very sorry you ever had to endure such a loss. I only know what "almost" was and I barely survived it.

You're in my thoughts...always...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delekatala View Post
I can't think of anything someone said to me that is truly outrageous, but I can think of something someone acted like....

When Genevive got sick in the NICU, and we knew she was not likely to live, My husband requested a catholic priest to come baptise her and do some sort of blessing. Which is fine with me, it is important to him.

However the hospital called a different chaplin that was nearby, This woman was not catholic, she was from a different christian religion. She had come by before and offered to pray with me for our babies when they were first born, which I respectfully declined. So my husband tells her that he is catholic and must have a catholic chaplin to do it, and she goes and calls the catholic chaplin from the childrens hospital next door.

BUT THEN.... She comes back and starts flocking around us like a vulture. She just circled back and forth by Genevive's warmer, muttering to herself like a crazy woman (I assume praying for Genevive, who knows). She did this until the catholic chaplin came, while he did the baptism, while he and my husband did their little prayer blessing thing, and then even after he left. Just watching us the whole time. By this time, I was a bit stressed out, trying to deal with the whole "my baby is dieing" thing. I yelled at her, she isn't some slideshow attraction you know. I Called the social worker and asked that she tell her to leave and not to ever approach me or my babies again.

I mean ***, the first time she ever came by I made it clear to the woman I am not religious. In fact I told her straight out "I don't pray"?

And for that matter, I have only ever prayed once in my life and it was later on that night asking god if he truly exists to save my daughter. And she died anyway, even though my husband is a devout catholic (except the whole marrying a heathen part I guess). So if god does exist, he sucks big Things I shouldn't mention on a public forum!

September 15th, 2010, 03:11 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i had someone tell me TO MY FACE that my children were going to hell cause i didnt believe in god...yeah thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfire37 View Post

this just cracks me up...cause dont you think "god" would know the difference between people who REALLY believe and those who are believing "just in case" lmfao....just in case....hahaha...cracks me up!!

Kristy, wife to Karl 6.16.01, Mom to Raianna 12.7.00, Elyse 12.3.02 and Helena 7.20.07, step-mom to Frankie 7.3.97 and step-grandma to October 3.9.15

October 1st, 2010, 09:47 PM
Squirrely's Avatar Member
I was told that my child should be taken away from me, and that non-Xtians can't possibly raise a child properly, and being an atheist parent is child abuse.

Really? Is that what Jesus would have done? It really, really hurt at the time, but now I can laugh it off as insanity.

And I'm really sickened by some of the things in this thread. I'm so sorry that any of you have experienced such hate and cruelty.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search