What's the most off the wall thing a "believer" has ever said to you?

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Regarding your life, or anything pertaining to how it is with God or anything in general.

Mine is mentioned on the thread I started about "Who am I to question"....

Interested to hear!

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
July 18th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Written in a group sympathy card from work after my mom passed away...

"Don't worry, she's not REALLY dead. She's just in heaven waiting for you."

WOW.

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

July 18th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Just call me "Hope."
Sadly, my grandmother did not believe she would die from ALS because god was going to save her. I don't remember her words, but her belief was disturbing.
July 18th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You know you must have a really important role in life for god to keep you around as many times as he has.

This was in reference to the fact that 1) I was [email protected] weeks gestation and 2) I was in a horrible head on car accident while in the very beginning of my pregnancy with DD.

July 18th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
"We know your husband cheated on you with your best friend and is still seeing her, but you have to forgive him and win your husband back from the devil. The bible says so."
(Ex husband)

July 19th, 2010, 05:33 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmom View Post
Written in a group sympathy card from work after my mom passed away...

"Don't worry, she's not REALLY dead. She's just in heaven waiting for you."

WOW.
Argh! A woman stood up at my sisters FIL's funeral and addressed the children (as young as 6) telling them that Grandpa wasn't really dead, he was just sleeping and god was going to wake him up. I wanted to throttle her.

Years ago my Grandmother was angry at me because I was having my wedding the year before my sisters because I was ****ing my nephew to an eternity in hell if he died before their parents were able to tie the knot.

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
July 19th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
A very very good friend of mine from high school is very very religious. We rarely, if ever, talked about religion. But on the back of her senior picture she gave me, she wrote "I hope you one day accept Jesus into your heart." We never spoke of it, though.

She now works for a university Christian group. A few years ago (we are well out of college now) she called me to do an interview about views of a non-christian. It was a well put together interview and I enjoyed being able to give her my honest answers.
July 20th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Brookem's Avatar Veteran
God doesn't believe in Athiests, therefore they do not exist (church sign)

But it's actually kind of clever. Get it? We don't believe in God, therefore he does not exist...

The most rediculous was when my daughter was born my Mom said "she already knows Kim (Mom's deceased sister) she told me in a dream that they knew eachother in heaven". DON'T EVER TELL MY CHILD THAT

Happy wife, proud mom and aspiring Lactation Consultant.

Last edited by Brookem; July 20th, 2010 at 04:06 PM.
July 20th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookem View Post

But it's actually kind of clever. Get it? We don't believe in God, therefore he does not exist...

The most rediculous was when my daughter was born my Mom said "she already knows Kim (Mom's deceased sister) she told me in a dream that they knew eachother in heaven". DON'T EVER TELL MY CHILD THAT
That's CREEPY.

July 20th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok I got another one. Not totally off the wall, but kind of weird and caught me off guard.

I was talking to this very very nice co-worker. He is a nice guy, but he is definately into jesus. Anyway, I mentioned that my baby had a crusty eye and had had it for awhile because she has a blocked duct. When we were done talking he said that he'd pray for my baby and pray that God unclogged her tear duct.

Ok now, I don't like her goopy eye. It does cause her some mild discomfort... but really? Pray about it? I mean, like the supposed big man has nothing better to do? There's war, famine, aids, oil gushing into the gulf of mexico and seriously we're gonna pray about a clogged tear duct and expect action?

Ugh, I really don't get religion and faith.

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

July 20th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookem View Post

Mormon? lol.

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

July 20th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I sure I have been told weirder things, but for some reason this one stuck with me. I was examining this woman's dog, and the dog had flea allergies. I was talking to her about controlling fleas and all that to prevent the allergy. She looked at me and said "I just don't know why God even had to make fleas, they are just such worthless creatures."

Fleas, really. I know they can be very annoying and they can spread disease (Black plague springs to mind) but they do serve a very important purpose in the eco-system as food for many other animals among other things. How about something like how does god allow child rape, or cancer, or gulf oil spills.

July 20th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
after my 4mo nephew died of SIDS, a work colleague said to me "it's gods will"

like f*ck it was.. what sort of 'god' would allow a 4mo baby to die?

July 21st, 2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum2Gaby&Emersyn View Post

YES! This is the kind of crap that makes me sooo angry!

I have a friend who is still active in church and her daughter too has a seizure condition (though not to the severity that my little girl has), and someone told her that it's 'God's will" and she says, keep in mind this is a Mormon woman, "Then God must be one sadistic *******."!

My thoughts exactly when I heard that when Korinne was close to leaving me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmela View Post
I sure I have been told weirder things, but for some reason this one stuck with me. I was examining this woman's dog, and the dog had flea allergies. I was talking to her about controlling fleas and all that to prevent the allergy. She looked at me and said "I just don't know why God even had to make fleas, they are just such worthless creatures."

Fleas, really. I know they can be very annoying and they can spread disease (Black plague springs to mind) but they do serve a very important purpose in the eco-system as food for many other animals among other things. How about something like how does god allow child rape, or cancer, or gulf oil spills.
Uh huh! EXACTLY!

But wait, murder is death and GOD decides when someone dies, silly me.

July 21st, 2010, 12:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I love you ladies! I am glad we can vent about stuff like this.

July 21st, 2010, 01:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When telling my aunt about about my university project and how great of a grade I got she tells me that "All glory is to god for that great mark".

*** he had nothing to do with it. I am the one who stayed up night after night to bust my butt and do the work. It was me, me me me me. I did it. Not the the adult version of Santa Claus.
July 21st, 2010, 01:58 PM
Veteran
This is cut and pasted from my livejournal--from three years ago. I did edit the swearing, but it's exactly how I wrote it in my journal. Clinton in no one I know, he was just in the Spanish class I was taking at the community college so my daughter could go to the child care for socialization.

"I got to Spanish class a wee bit early this morning. For some reason Clinton was talking about Hollywood. He tells everyone that he's lived in "Hollywood" and that he knows for a fact that only 5% of the people who are actually on TV (in movies and on TV) that claim to be female are actually female. He says they're all transvestites.. and he KNOWS IT because he lived in Hollywood. That was the dumbest thing I've ever heard! So I called him on it.

He proceeded to go on a tyrade about how gays are horrible, awful, evil people and their presense makes the world an evil place. I laughed, because I really thought he was joking! I said, "Well, I don't understand why anyone needs to put their noses in anyone's bedroom business. I don't ask you what you do behind closed door, so what concern should it be of yours if a man wants to be a woman, wants to be WITH a woman, or wants to be with a man? It seems the world would be a much happier place if we minded our own ****** business."

He looks at me like he was completely and totally confused. Like, I were an onion and had just removed my skin to reveal the sections of an orange. He said, "Are you a Christian woman?"

Apparently all of the stuff about evil, awful people--you know, his judging when the Bible says that's no his job, makes him a man of God. Awesome!

Last edited by 2kids2cats1dog; July 21st, 2010 at 02:21 PM.
August 2nd, 2010, 10:00 AM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
My BIL and his wife suffered many losses; several miscarriages and a still born before welcoming a preemie. Heartbreakingly, they lost him at two weeks. I was unable to make it to the funeral but Hubby went. It was a Roman Catholic service. Want to know what that waste of skin priest said? "The death of this baby is a sign from God that you need to start worshiping more." He continued with more drivel on begging forgiveness. More likely it was divine intervention that kept me home and thus preventing me from making a horrible situation worse with my mouth. Sickening!
On a side note, I'm happy to say they now have a 3 year old girl and 2 year old boy, both beautiful and healthy
August 2nd, 2010, 11:24 AM
birdblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My father passed away due to a freak accident at work when i was 8 years old, i can't count how many times i was told "God needed your daddy". Even at 8 years old that comment annoyed/disturbed me...how is it what mighty God would need Any father more than his daughter?! Although i cant remember ever having faith, if i had i think that would have shook it a bit.

I used to work with a very Christian lady who liked me very much, it was difficult for her to feel that i was such a good person, yet i didn't believe in God or heaven or any of that so therefore i would go to hell...she decided that i in fact Do believe i'm just in denial, therefore i will go to haven after all.

Thank you so much Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!

Last edited by birdblue; August 2nd, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
August 6th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I have to say that some of these are cracking me up! You're mother wasn't really dead?? lol

Well, I was just told told in a nasty PM (on another board) that I was "close-minded" because I actually want support from other women TTCing. Really, I was venting on a vent board and people attack me because I dared to say "imaginary friend". Any sane person would leave a forum full of negative people and go to a more positive one where they can vent and actually get support.

I was also told by the same person that I couldn't call myself a freethinker! LOL She reached this conclusion after reading a whole two vent posts of mine. It's not like she actually knows me in real life, and apparantly she doesn't know what venting is LOL

Quote:
Probably the same god who would demand that his own son incarnate into a man, suffer scourging at the hands of Romans, and be hung on the cross for three days for the remission of mankind's sin. Let me get this straight. Christians actually call this a "loving" god?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search