Log In Sign Up

Need Advice

Forum: Divorce and Separation


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Divorce and Separation LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2011, 02:31 PM
danniegirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 4,826
So DH and I are finally getting a divorce. I told him how unhappy I am and its just what I want. There are a lot of other factors to but we have went back and forth between this fvor months. Unfortunately we need to be seperated for 1 year and 1 day before we can actually divorce. I am waiting for him to move out as he is taking forever. I spoke to a lawyer about it and I can go for temp custody and temp child support and that could get the process of him out faster.

I am trying not to involve lawyers. I want this to go as civil as possible. I know he wont be able to afford a lawyer and neither can I however if it comes down to it I can get the money.

The only thing we can not come to an agreement on is custody of our two kids. I want to be the primary care giver as thats what I have been. I am the one who takes them to and picks them up from daycare and I schedule and make their medical appointments i miss work and take off when they are sick. We both are in the military and my job gets frustrated becuase they have a father too and its always me.

What i proposed to him is he can have the kids one week day and every other weekend and we split the holidays as long as we are living in the same state. he doesnt want that. He wont tell me what he wants and says if i go with every other weekend he wants them 3 times during the week and the whole summer. I honestly feel he can not handle them for that long. I dont want to play dirty and try and do it civil. He has a drinking problem his commander directed him to go to counseling ADAPT (AA meetings) he isnt suppose to drink now but still does. So tonight we are going to sit down again and try and do this. I will bring up that i dont want him drinking when he has the kids is that reasonable? He already threatened me with the fact that I see a therapist and I am on anti depressants but a lot of that is from my marriage and I am actually improving.

Should I try and do it without lawyers or just go ahead and get a lawyer? I really want him out of the house too. I can go ahead and more out with the kids but he wont be able to afford the rent and the bills on his paycheck alone to live there.

Also I calcualted with me living there my pacheck and how much you would be alloted to pay and agreed on less so i feel im not trying to break him with that. I already will hav eto pull the kids out of daycare and have my sister move in with me as I dont even want to pull the kids out of daycare as they love it there. but just until my lease is up in february and i can afford a better place for us.

Sorry so long i just dont know what to do.

Reply With Quote
September 13th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 145
Sounds like you have most of the kinks worked out..as for the kids tho if he wants to see them that much how much harm can it be giving him them maybe 2 days during the week and every other wknd...i wish my xdh would get his kids more then one night every other wknd...if you give him that maybe he will drop the whole summer thing.

Reply With Quote
September 14th, 2011, 05:01 AM
danniegirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 4,826
So he is refusing to move out. I am trying to find a place so I tried to apply to live on base however the military is not very helpful. Even though we are both military and both the same rank and I am the one that claim the kids and do everything for them they are not letting me apply becuase he out ranks me because he made his rank before me. GRR thankfully I found some paperwork to fill out an exception to policy and my command is being very supportive. So in Ten days I should know if I am allowed.

Reply With Quote
September 16th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,501
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Good luck. Though to be honest I would get an attorney at least for custody. And there's no way you should let him 'have' the kids all summer either. I would maybe do like one week day and every weekend he gets the kids for a couple hours on either sat or sunday.. then every other weekend, the kids spend saturday night with him or friday.. and he brings them back to you by 5 pm?

thats just my opinion though.

Reply With Quote
September 25th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
As a divorce coach for women and also someone who went through divorce, I recommend that you consult an attorney. It cannot hurt to get legal advice and see what your options are now and in the future.
Create a list of questions you want to ask the attorney before you retain them. Do not be afraid to tell them your concerns, ask questions and make sure they have your best interests in mind.
Depending on your state, make sure you know what the difference is between joint/primary "legal" custody is and joint/primary physical custody. This will be important whether now or later.
I hope all works out for you. My prayers are with you and your family.
Keep on the path!!
Reply With Quote
September 27th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
You need a lawyer. The only way you wouldn't need a lawyer is if the two of you can agree on EVERYTHING which is obviously not the case.

This is an example of my visitation: He gets them every other weekend, one night during the off week (no overnight there), holidays are split. He gets 3 weeks during the summer. Standard in my state is 2-4 weeks. You do not have to give him the summer.

My papers state that he can't consume alcohol in the presence of my kids. That is apparently standard around here because I didn't ask for it to be put in there originally. It is also in my papers that he can't have overnight company of the opposite sex while he has the kids. If he does any of these things, he's in contempt of court.

You need to get the papers exactly as you want them because they are what you will refer to until the kids are grown.

Since you are in the military and there is a possibility of either one of you moving at any time, you need to find out more info from a lawyer about your options and how this will affect the kids.

Since he has a drinking problem, if you are concerned about the welfare of your kids, document everything that happens from this point on. You might need it in the future.
Reply With Quote
October 3rd, 2011, 11:35 AM
danniegirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 4,826
Thanks for the advice. I am definatly going to get a lawyer. I am just tired of everything and I want whats best for my kids. I doubt that he does.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0