Playtime with your GERD/Reflux Baby

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought it might be nice to open a topic about challenges we have or are currently facing when it comes to playtime, tummy time, etc. In addition, share some of the devices, gear, etc that helped us accomplish these goals.

We had a really rough time with this, because every time I moved DS, it seemed that he would throw up. His chubby little legs were also too big to use his bumbo seat (due to steroids for his lungs). So here are a some things that helped us. (note: DS was also on oxygen, NG & monitors in most of these pictures - limitations galore).

1. We were very limited on how much/how often we could do tummy time. So I used a boppy noggin nest in his bouncy and elsewhere to help round his head out. DS had torticollis, and a flat head on one side from being in the NICU - the last thing I wanted to deal with a box shaped head, we narrowly missed needing a helmet. But because of Kyle's low-tone, we had more flexibility in using supports for his head.

2.) Using a boppy pillow covered in a blanket, so that he could lay on his back, inclined to play under his play gym (I liked to use the blanket under for more support).

3.) Propping one end of his bed, and creating his own play environment (something we did in the NICU, and when he first came home). We had a special sleep positioner (from the NICU) that also helped keep him from sliding too far down the bed, due to the necessary incline. **note, it's not recommended to put toys and such in bed with baby. We would remove the toys, but Kyle had limitations for some time (didn't roll over until he was 1.5yo), so we had more flexibility with his play environment.

4.) double stacking boppy pillows (one regular, one tummy time), then setting him under his playmat, so that he could sit up and play. DS also had tortocollis and problems coming midline - so this helped center him. Pic 1 & Pic 2

5.) Using his bouncy/rocker seat to rotate toys, prop books, and practice strength training .

6.) Using a booster chair with a tray, so that he could play with toys out in front of him. Notice I used blankets to help prop his arms forward, again to help with bringing him to midline.
January 18th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Linz's Avatar Slacker Extraordinaire
Great idea! I'm off to bed now, but I plan to add my input tomorrow.

**thanks to trish for C's birthday siggy**
January 19th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Tigger's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Those are great Ideas we used to do Number 2 with Kiera all the time!
January 19th, 2007, 11:03 AM
nahjah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We too did number 2 but don't need to anymore! Good ideas!
January 19th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Tinabeana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Tinabeana
We did and currently do #2 as well.

Kittycat, I just wanted too tell you that your son is handsome!!!! You have a Heartbreak on your hands! Time flyes, Cant belive how fast they change and what a ham he has become!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search