split class

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2006, 01:22 PM
proudmom3's Avatar Wait for it....
Send a message via Yahoo to proudmom3
my son is in the 1st grade...

i was informed that his class will be seperated to make room for overflow of kindergarteners. so his class will now be k/1st grade. my big concern is....will he still learn everything he needs to learn inorder to go to 2nd grade????

Jessica: 18
Jordan: 11
Shaelyn: 7
Drake: 3

MeMe to Caleb: 23mos

TS to Lynsey: 9
August 18th, 2006, 01:48 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I think he'll do BETTER that way, personally. Many private schools combine 2 or 3 grades on purpose even when it's not necessary. I went to such a tiny (public) school when I was in elementary that we had 1 teacher for every 2 grades through 6th grade, and only 6 teachers for all of 7-12 (subject oriented). We had some of the best academic records in the state.

Edit... looking back, it was always a confidence booster for me in a split class. When I was in the younger grade, I could evesdrop on the older kids' lessons to get a bit of a head start, and then when I was in the older of the two grades, I felt like a mentor to the younger kids. We always enjoyed working together when possible.
August 18th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, it depends on whether the teacher can handle it. IMO, I would not split a K & 1st grade class. This is the reason. Many students come into K w/o having any previous experience in school meaning that they will need to develop basic skills such as using scissors, coloring correctly, holding a writing utensil, etc. By 1st grade, those fine & gross motor skills should be already in use & familiar to a student that went to K and/or Pre-K.

On the other hand, they normally split classes w/ the highest students of the lower grade which challenges them but also allows the upper grade to follow the curriculum.

I hope this helps!

August 18th, 2006, 07:58 PM
proudmom3's Avatar Wait for it....
Send a message via Yahoo to proudmom3
thank for the reply! its all new to me, i never been or even heard of a split class lol

u have eased my mind, thanks!

Jessica: 18
Jordan: 11
Shaelyn: 7
Drake: 3

MeMe to Caleb: 23mos

TS to Lynsey: 9
August 18th, 2006, 08:53 PM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome..I would think that a split class would be favorable. In my classes I often pair kids of different ability together and see both kids improve. The best way to learn something is to teach it. For example I could see the older kids reading to the younger kids. The younger kids could get exposure and the older kids hone their reading skills.

I would go with the flow and just monitor your son's progress. If you think he is falling behind make sure you bring it up with his teacher.
August 20th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Lisa P.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am one to not have anything against split grades. But I find a K/1 split to be quite odd for the same reasons Astrid mentioned.
Many parents have concerns about their children being in split grades; but, as a teacher, I am forever differentiating my lessons to meet the needs of ALL students that it makes no difference to me whether they are in grade 7 or 8. I have been known to have 8th graders reading at a grade 5 level and then some reading at a grade 10 level. As long as teachers are following curriculum (where objectives are usually built upon from grade to grade) students should be learning and developing at their grade level and be ready for the next grade by the end of the year.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search