Log In Sign Up

Birth Stories

Forum: Pagan Living


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Earthy.Mama
  • 1 Post By Earthy.Mama
  • 1 Post By lhug_nar
  • 1 Post By MidnightMaiden
  • 2 Post By Amaranth Dhanya
  • 1 Post By *~Ginny~*
  • 1 Post By Shades of Grey

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,028
Tiff and I want to read each other's so if you want to post yours too, post em!

Kailey Rose
Ok, from start to finish: My Labor and Delivery of my little Gummy Bear!

On Monday, July 31 I started bloody show early in the morning. I had a couple contractions throughout the day...but I thought it would be a cpl days still. Around 4:15pm, Tami (my sil) stopped by and we were talking and I realized that the "pressure pains" I had been having all day were actually contractions and they were starting to come regular so I started timing them. They varied, but for the most part were around 10 minutes apart. Again, I thought that it would last a couple days. Josh and I layed down around 2am and I squeezed his shoulder during a contraction (he had yet to see me have one). He turned and looked at me with a worried look, realizing that this was it. He started timing them and they were 7 min apart and 45 sec long. We went for a walk and layed back down, but they started tapering off so at 4 am we went for another walk. We came back, layed down and Josh fell asleep. I then had three contractions 5 min apart that were more intense so I got in the bath. Once in, they slowed down..all of a sudden stuff started coming out of me...I thought it was my water, but was unsure. So, I got out and went and told Josh. I told him I was gonna call Suzanne in a cpl min if the contractions stayed at 5 min, and for him to go back to sleep.

About 15 min later I phoned her and let her know what was going on. She said she would be right over. I called my mom and sis and they came over. My mom was so nervous/excited she had to pull the car over on her way over and throw up. LOL!! I felt bad they were rushing over, I felt like this wasn't it..so I didn't want them to have driven 30 min to my place to have to turn around. Well, my MW shows up and then my mom (she is crying lol). She checks me and I am 4cm (6 during contrax), but no water...it was probably just pee in the tub....(oops) lol. My sis shows up and then my stepdad.

Mom is cooking eggs for me to eat for energy, Josh is at the store getting me snack food. We are all talking and playing around. I have to stop and breathe through contrax, but other than that I was acting as if I wasn't in labor. It was really VERY easy and I was highly surprised. My mom and sis were amazed at my behavior. Suzanne had a 9am appt that she was going to go to and she asked if I wanted to be checked before she left. I didn't care, but my mom insisted. So, in we go to my bed and I'm a 7!!! So my MW laughs and decides it's a good idea NOT to go to her appt. My Mom jumps in my shower real quick to get ready and Josh says "Lets tell her that we are heading to the hospital NOW." I said no because she would probably puke again...LOL!! Everyone laughed at that.

So, I'm 7cm and I still feel great, a little guilty that I'm having such an easy labor actually. I'm playing with my niece, Alyssa (born in April), and just rolling around on my birth ball. Suzanne shows my mom and Josh some techniques to press on my pelvic bones to help with the pain/pressure. Suzanne does a GREAT job. My sister is a pharmacy tech so she started asking Suzanne what kind of meds I'm going to be on. Suzanne says "oh, she's GBS negative, so we don't have to get her meds."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all just stop and look at each other and I say "Suzanne...my heart murmur..." She then jumps up and says "Well, then looks like we'll be going to the hospital NOW." LOL!! My step dad had just asked when we were leaving which prompted my sister to ask about the medicine.

So, we get ready and go to the hospital. I'm doing just fine still, no problems at all. I wait inside the doors smiling and laughing while Josh parks the car.
We get into my room and hook me up to the monitors and start the I.V. (that nurse was ..not very nice). Josh was holding my hand while they took blood and placed the I.V. in, but he almost passed out so he had to go sit down Poor thing...lol!! I'm finally able to get in the tub which is real nice Everyone else is chillin on the couch in the room just laughing and w/e. My Mom and sister and Josh and Suzanne are all in and out of the bathroom to talk to me. The tub is cool...but it was narrow at the bottom making it kind of hard to sit...but the water DID help. Suzanne checks me and I'm an 8, then a 9 (it's like maybe around 3 or something). She wants me to go for a walk to get things going faster because contractions have started to slow down. Josh and her and I go walking and then get back in the tub. She checks me..I'm a 10, but I have a cervical lip in the front. We try different positions and everything...but we just couldn't get it to move.

Here is the thing: Once I started getting to a 9, I started panicking. Not outwardly, but inside I was fighting myself. I realized I was terrified of pushing and tearing and being able to feel it, so I was shutting my body down from progressing any further. After about an hour, she checked me again and I now had lip in the back. I was in extreme pain by now because my body was fighting itself and working backwards and the contractions were working twice as hard. I was in this state for probably about 2 hours, and I don't remember it really except for pain and Josh. He was wonderful...I just kept crying and breathing real hard and whimpering. My face was burried into his neck for a long time and I was hanging onto him for dear life.

I remember looking up at his face after I heard him sniffling, and seeing tears. I made a note of this to help myself calm down for HIM. Suzanne then came into the room (I was on the bed right now) and she said that she needed to put in an internal monitor to check and see if my contractions were strong enough to move the lip. I agreed, knowing something had to be done because I was still fighting myself.I get a shot of nubain while the internal monitor was put on but it only lasted about 20 min. She put it in and about 20 min later she came back and said that the contractions are not strong enough, that they keep slowing down more and more. She then said she needed to hook me up to pitocin, because I'm not moving the lip on my own. I then focus to think straight about what was best for me and Kailey. Josh was out of the room so it was left up for me to decide what to do. I figured that if my body wasn't going to progress anymore (I knew I was holding myself back, but I was just too scared) then I would end up with a Csection~~and that would require an epidural. So..I might as well go ahead and get the epidural with the pitocin and avoid the csection. I told Suzanne that if she had to give me pitocin I would need something stronger than nubain, so I agreed to the epidural that she offered.

I was a little upset that I was holding myself back, but I was very ok with my decision. I was terrified of the epidural and I let everyone know haha...They all reassured me many times that it would be ok, that I wouldn't be paralyzed. Josh came in and was shocked to hear I agreed to the epidural, but when he heard of the whole situation, he understood that there wasn't any other choice. If she started pitocin without stronger meds, I knew I would not be able to handle it and I'd order a csection.

Josh held me while I was getting the epidural. I jerked JUST like I was terrified I would, but it was when they were giving me the numbing medicine, not the actual epidural thingy. THANK GOD. I started getting a contraction and I just held onto Josh for dear life and whimpered and breathed through it. I didn't feel the epidural go in. It took about 5-10 minutes for it to kick in, and when it did, I was so happy. I knew that things were going to be ok, and I knew I was going to be able to relax enough to open my cervix back up.

I was exhausted at this point. I dozed for about 40 minutes while Suzanne let the pitocin work on me. She checked me after 40 minutes and told me that I was complete, that the pitocin and epidural did it's job. I was proud of myself! My mom and sister and Josh were all telling me how strong I was for getting to 10, and then making the right choice of the epidural. They told me that I was doing a great job, and I felt like I was too. I was getting excited about pushing now because I knew that I wasn't going to feel pain during it, and that if I tore, I wouldn't feel it!! But, I knew I had worn my body out real bad, so I asked to sleep for about 30 more minutes to save up some energy for the pushing. Suzanne said that was a great idea. I tried to doze, but I was just too excited about starting pushing and finally getting to see my baby!

It became time to push. My sister got the video camera out and Josh was up by my head. My Mom and Suzanne were sitting at the end of the bed, each holding a leg and pushing against them as I had a contraction. I had feeling in my legs, I just couldn't move them. A nurse was telling me when I was having a contraction and Suzanne directed me on my pushing. On my first push Suzanne was very impressed at how much I was able to push her down. She said Kailey was right there and that my pushing was excellent. Throughout the pushing I started feeling more and more down there, especially as her head entered the canal. It didn't hurt, but I was so thankful I was able to feel her, and eventually, I was able to tell when I was having a contraction on my own too, and the pushing became something I controlled.

Her heartbeat was dropping very low during contractions, so I wasn't allowed to talk, I had to breathe VERY deep for her to get enough oxygen. I was breathing so deep my mom was afraid I was going to hyperventilate, but I didn't want Kailey to be without air! I kept asking if she had hair every time she moved down, and finally I got my answer and wish. She did! I pushed and pushed, I felt her head come out and it was soooo cool feeling! I knew you are supposed to stop after the head is out and wait for the next contraction for the body, but Suzanne kept saying "keep pushing", so I just kept going and out plopped her body. She summersaulted on the bed, my Mom and Suzanne actually helped pull her out. My mom was very happy about being able to help deliver Kailey, she was bawling. Kailey was brought to my stomach and I said "Hello Pretty" and smiled and held her hand.
I then heard Suzanne who was cutting the cord, which my mom did, and then Suzanne said they were taking her to get her oxygen. I said "Yes please, she is turning purple." It wasn't until maybe 30 minutes later that I realized we didn't wait for the cord to stop pulsing to cut it....Kailey was losing oxygen, thus her purple color when she was out of me, and also why Suzanne made me push her out in one go. This caused me to tear in 3 ways, but I was ok, because Kailey was out and getting the air she needed. Her first apgar was a score of 6. Josh was crying and smiling and I was just soooooo happy and relieved. It was wonderful!!!

(EDIT: If I hadn't have been in bliss I would have thought clearly and not allowed for the cord to be cut! Now that the cord wasn't compressed the blood and oxygen was flowing to Kailey and she would have pinked up without the assistance of oxygen.)

Josh brought her over to me after she got her pink color. As soon as he handed her to me she went in search of her Daddy. She was craning her neck to find Josh, it was adorable. I was so in love and so happy

7:36pm August 1, 2006
17 1/4 inches long
Apgars: 6, 9, 9

Overall, I was VERY proud of myself for getting to a 10 on my own. It was not painful at all until I started working against my body. Even with the small complication, I still consider it a very easy labor/birth and I loved every minute of it.

Oh, and she WAS posterior. I knew it! Little bugger turned while I was in labor...and her head was a little cockeyed as well. The pushing lasted a whole 40-50 minutes.

Shades of Grey likes this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Last edited by Earthy.Mama; May 5th, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,028
Nola Rain's

Tuesday, March 17th
Suzanne checked my cervix, I was 1-2cm dilated and 50-75%effaced. I started spotting and losing pieces of mucous plug (no surprise) and the BH’s that I’ve had daily multiple times since 20wks were different – they had become crampier and radiated to the back (never had that before in either pregnancies).

Wednesday, March 18th
The crampy/painful contrax continue on and off. Around 10pm they became regular 4-5min apart. I tried getting some sleep but they were too painful. I didn’t call my MW though; my gut told me (apparently) that it wasn’t time. Around 2am I finally fell asleep and when I woke up at 4 I realized they were 10min apart – false labor GR! I called into work because I figured it would be soon anyway and I hadn’t had enough sleep so I needed to rest, I was exhausted.

Thursday, March 19th
I’m worn out from the false labor overnight and angry/frustrated that the contrax have backed WAY off but that whenever I would have one it would still be very painful and I would have to stop and focus through it. I took a nap in the morning and a nap in the afternoon with Kailey. We woke up at 4pm and I figured if I wasn’t going to have the baby I may as well clean. I completely cleaned the bathroom the cats were stuck in (they had been sick), I cleaned and vacuumed Kailey’s room, I cleaned the kitchen and did some laundry. I also mopped the floor in the bathroom and by the fireplace. It was around 6:30ish when I started getting contrax again and they were about 10min apart. I figured that it was from straining myself on the cleaning so I slowed down, started timing them. From that point until midnight they were coming regular and shorter together, lasting longer. I was afraid of another false labor but it hurt so much that I needed my MW’s opinion anyway. I called her at 12:10am I believe and she and her assistant were there within the hour making it 1am on March 20th.

Friday, March 20th
My MW brought up her supplies and then decided to check me. I was 5cm so it was labor after all. I couldn’t be happier; my baby was going to be here soon. The contractions were nice, we did a lot of cool things during labor like use the robozo and knee press. I sat on the bar stool and the assistant would push my hips/knees differently. The birth pool was really cool. My MW would have me do laps around the pool (walking outside the pool) and just generally made me change my position/what I was doing every 30min or so to keep things moving along. I felt like things weren’t progressing, like they should be harder (don’t get me wrong, the contrax did hurt lol). My MW checked me again (don’t know what time) and I was 6cm. She looked disappointed and so did I. Well, after that we watched the Vegas movie with Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz and some Jeff Dunham comedy to make me laugh (laughing helps open cervix). She also had me put some cohosh tablet thingys under my tongue to dissolve and the assistant gave me a clary sage (aromatherapy) massage on the acupressure points of my feet and legs - things were getting more intense, I was now in transition. At this point I needed my husband’s assistance, just being there holding my hand and rubbing my arms. Once the assistant checked me again her head was right there but I didn’t feel the need to push or anything.

My MW checked me after 30 min of me doing light pushes with nothing happening and she said that I had a lip so I got out, had some contractions where I bent against the wall and lifted my belly up to put her head on the cervix. After a few contrax I got back in the pool. Now, this caught me up with Kailey’s birth (the cervical lip), I had a back lip, then a front lip and then the contrax started stopping. I started panicking and told myself to just push through the lip, visualize the cervix opening up I WAS going to have this baby. Well, it wasn’t working and Suzanne wanted to try to push the lip out of the way. It hurt…a lot, just like it did with Kailey. Suzanne knew I hated it but there was nothing left to do – I was starting to get worn out. I gave Suzanne the ok to try a 3rd time and I PUSHED and it huuuuuuuuuuuuurt I started panicking, it was horrible. I kept thinking that if I was in the hospital, I WOULD tell them to just get her out of me, but I was at home, I HAD to do it, there were no choices.

We got out of the tub and sat at the birth bar/stool and Suzanne pushed on my stomach upwards (to move her head on a more favorable cervix pressure). I was worn out so the assistant told Josh to get me some honey for energy. I’m thinking “honey? Honey isn’t going to do anything I need this kid out of me and some sleep!” LOL!! Well, I was having a contraction at this point and Josh’s hand was ALL sticky because he had just started pouring the honey… my MW was pushing on the lip and I was DONE. I was like, ‘Ok, this is it – I need this to end and there is no option except for ME to get her out.” So I pushed with EVERYTHING I had and screams just started tearing through me (it scared even me!)… Kailey started crying at this point (she had just woken up about an hour prior at about 5:30ish) and I just pushed and pushed and Suzanne said “Keep going she’s coming down!” (this gave me encouragement) and I could finally feel her moving down and I’m screaming my head off (in reality there were only 3 screams, but they were loud and devastating to anyone within earshot lol) and I just keep pushing, I don’t stop. I can feel the ring of fire, and that wasn’t sooo bad, but I could feel the small tear upwards that I had (that burnt!!!!). I remember someone saying to Josh (because he was busy getting the honey) “get over here she’s coming!” because he was going to catch her (which he NEVER told me he wanted to do). Well he got over in time to only put one hand under me (the other covered in honey) to “help” catch the baby. She just tumbled out of me and I remember opening my eyes up as the rest of her body slid out of me and I just went limp.

My exhaustion immediately and instantaneously took over. My body started shaking and felt like it was collapsing. Suzanne tried handing her to me and I remember whispering, “I can’t” because I was too weak and she was like “Yes you can Jackie take her” so I did and they helped me hold her. The ONLY thing my mind was focused on was “don’t you dare drop her Jackie” LOL! I looked around and there was so much blood it was gross. The cord was short and they wanted me to get in the pool with her so we all 5 scooted over to the pool and they helped me in. I was so exhausted I’ve never felt anything like it. The cord stopped pulsing and Josh cut it (I’m SO proud of him!). He didn’t cut it with Kailey and he was even going to catch the baby this time but was unable to, but still he did so awesome.

So, we get Nola out of the pool and Sarah helps me birth the placenta. OMG I forgot how you can’t breathe after you have a baby, I HATE that. My eyes kept closing and I kept sleeping. I laid on my bed with Nola while Josh took care of Kailey and Suzanne & Sarah took all their supplies down. Suzanne cooked me some eggs and Sarah fed them to me because I was so out of it. Suzanne then checked me and I was terrified!! I didn’t know if I tore or not and I saw her needle to give me numbing medicine for stitches and I started panicking. I did tear, two small ones. I feel the smaller one, it hurt and burnt but it’s much better now already. The other one they wanted to stitch (like 1 or 2 stitches) and I told Suzanne that if it was that “weak” of a tear that I would rather heal on my own, I’m terrified of needles. She agreed so I was very happy. I don’t even feel that tear at all, don’t know where it’s at or anything, not causing any problems.

19in long
March 20, 2009
Breastfeeding has been a breeze & I think my milk has started coming in already at 1 day pp. She is very quiet and content with anyone holding her.

Day of + HPT


8mths I believe..

A cpl days after birth. Didn't get any during birth b/c Josh was too distracted that I was in pain
Shades of Grey likes this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Last edited by Earthy.Mama; May 5th, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2012, 11:37 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Roberts, Wisconsin
Posts: 14,802
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Aw, making me have baby fever really bad!
Earthy.Mama likes this.
Reply With Quote
May 5th, 2012, 01:03 PM
MidnightMaiden's Avatar )O( Blessed Be )O(
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C
Posts: 4,101
Beautiful! Brought tears to my eyes.
Earthy.Mama likes this.
Reply With Quote
May 6th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In the West
Posts: 11,190
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya

For what its worth(not very thrilling) here are mine....

Connor Knight:

I had high blood pressure issues with him most of my pregnancy. No meds made it go down and he was buttdown the whole pregnancy. So we planned a c/section at 38 1/2 weeks cuz protein was found and all that other stuff that worries people.
I mentioned how active he had been two days before so we did a quick u/s and he'd turned headdown so we decided to try an induction(yes, I agreed and it wasnt forced in case you wondered).
That was a Friday afternoon. Sunday evening around 6p I entered the hospital and we got started. I wasnt dialated before in any way shape or form, not nothing.
After 41 hrs of laboring and trying I was only at a 1/2 cm dialated and still high and closed off(I was 38.6 days preggers at this point).
He was not liking any of it with heartrates dipping dramatically so we finally decided we'd tried long enough and when his rate deeped dangerous we got me into the OR within 2 hrs(my dr was crying and hugging me cuz we didnt get to go vaginally).
Anywho, they got him out within 5 mins and it was discovered he was turned and face was stuck on my pelvic bone. Hence why he never came down and all that jazz. His face was crooked(as in misaligned) for a few days after that but otherwise he was a healthy fella weighing in at 7lbs 3ozs and 21 inches long.

My family has a history of c/sections so I wasnt saddened nor surprised we had to go this route. My mom and two sisters never dialated enough to delivered vaginally so in my case it would have been a miracle had it occurred.

We worked on breastfeeding but I never got any real milk out. I talked to a lactation counselor and rented her machine and I pumped hoping that would fix the issues but it didnt. I couldnt get more than 2-3 ozs out TOTAL from a full days worth of doing it(every two hours). So he eventually, after 2 1/2 mths, refused it all together.

Avery Danyael and Devinn Asher:

I had my drs check to see if I ever dialated on my own especially with Av since Id had contractions in my 7th month with him. NOT AN INCH! My body just didnt wanna do it vaginally.

So they were both repeat c/sections. Avery was my biggest at 8lbs 10ozs and 19 inches. Devinn was 7lbs 15ozs and 20 1/2 inches long.

If Id had Connor vaginally Id planned a water birth via a midwife with the others I had but just wasnt meant to be.

Breastfeeding went the same with them as well. I tried for 6 mths with Av and it was hell. Didnt get much, fed every hour for a half hour each side and still supplemented and he kept losing weight. So after that when Dev was born I only gave him 3 wks and made sure he got the colostrum I could muster out and that was it. I was tapped in breastfeeding strength by that point and just didnt wanna put us through that hell again.

Thats our stories!
Here's a couple pics I have online...




~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
Reply With Quote
May 7th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,405
Aw, cute idea

I haven't finished writing Samantha's (bad, I know!), but here is Allie's:

Allie's Birth
Earthy.Mama likes this.

Reply With Quote
May 24th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 11,339
Great stories! I just sat here crying through it all! oh hormones...
Earthy.Mama likes this.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0