Question about periods and IUD...

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2008, 11:51 PM
MegC's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MegC
Hi ladies. I need to know so I apologize for any TMI that may come out here.

I had a Paragard (non hormonal) IUD inserted in March at my 6-week PP visit. I had very little, light cramping and maybe a tiny amount of spotting. Other than my first and second periods post-insertion, I have had almost no cramping and the entire experience has been relatively uneventful.

Except for one thing:

My period is CRAZY HEAVY! Heavier than I've ever had. But it's weird. Like, the first two days are really light and almost don't qualify as a period because it only appears when I wipe. If I bothered to use a tampon, the lightest ones they make wouldn't be any good because there's almost nothing there to absorb. Then--BAM!--on day three it's like the floodgates have opened. I have to change my super absorbency tampon very frequently so I don't leak all over the place (sorry if that whole section was just TMI). By around day 5 it's backed down to a level where I don't have to be too concerned anymore, but I'm just wondering a) has anyone else experienced this? B) does it ever go away? I mean, will my periods ever return to what they were pre-IUD or do I just have to learn to deal with this? It's not the end of the world, I'd just like to know what's around the corner.

Thanks!
Meg

</div>
June 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A) Lots of women experience it. Heavier bleeding is the most common side effect of the Paragard. You should have been given a Patient Information sheet by your doctor, it will list heavier periods as the first potential side effect. The reason for that is because the IUD works by causing inflammation to the lining of the uterus to make it unstable in order to interrupt pregnancy. This inflammation is what causes the bleeding to be heavier.

B) The bleeding improves for most women once the IUD is removed.
June 28th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
It is normal with a copper IUD (such as paraguard) for periods to become heavier & more painful that prior to insertion

I have a copper & my period is slowly starting to get back to normal, but I do have spotting for 3 days whereas I wouldn't have pre-IUD

July 7th, 2008, 11:26 AM
MegC's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MegC
Thanks ladies! It makes me feel better that this is normal.

Except when I checked for my strings yesterday, I couldn't feel them. Checked again today and still can't find them.

Now what?

Meg

</div>
July 7th, 2008, 01:55 PM
kasie.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to kasie. Send a message via Yahoo to kasie.
Call your Dr, tell them what happened and that you cannot find your strings anymore.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search