Lots of questions for those with the Paragaurd

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Veteran
Hey all, just poppin in with some Q's. I am preggers and coming up on my due date. So I have been starting to think about what BC I will use afterwards. While I am very excited for this baby, I am also 20 years old and want to wait for the next one. The most appealing kind is the hormone free copper IUD.. the paraguard right? Anyway, I asked a friend (who has the Mirena) about her opinions and she told me horror stories about the copper IUD. Numerous stories of expulsion, weight gain, and it literally feeling like there is something HUGE in your uterus. Has anyone experienced anything like that? I find that very disturbing. What I really find appealing about the paraguard is that its hormone free! It sounds awesome! Hormones turn me into a crazy lady! But is it too good to be true?

Some other questions...

Has anyone ever experienced both the Mirena and Paraguard?
If so, what were the differences?

Any bad experiences with paragurd? Or heard anything bad?

Are there strings that hang down into the Vagina with the Paraguard?

That's all that I can think of now that I am trying to, but I am sure I have more. Any info you ladies have would be wonderful and very appreciated =D
August 21st, 2008, 08:56 AM
kasie.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to kasie. Send a message via Yahoo to kasie.
I don't have the Paragard, but I do have a Mirena. Yes, Paragard has no hormones, so there is way it could effect your weight. I can't feel my Mirena at all and the Paragard is the same size. Its thin plastic like the Mirena, just wrapped in copper. I have heard that it can make your periods heavier though. And, with every IUD there is the chance for expulsion, its just how your body takes to it. There are stings that hang down into your vagina, but you can't feel them (unless of course you are reaching up there for them) and my partner can't feel them either. The first few weeks he might get "poked" by them, but it is fairly uncommon, and they will soften after a few weeks (they aren't made of string, they are some other materiel.)

Good Luck with whatever you choose! Here is some more information if you would like Paragard Information.

August 23rd, 2008, 12:48 AM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Hey there,
I have a copper IUD & have to say that I love it! I only wish I'd gotten one soon after I'd had my daughter.

The first month did suck a bit - I was crampy on & off, then I was spotting for about 21 days - and THEN I got AF, but after that first month, things did improve a lot. I got my IUD in February (?? maybe March) - and my last 3 cycles have been pretty much exactly the same as they were pre-IUD.

As far as the strings go, there are strings, but they are sort of 'flexible' & I know that mine sort of bend around my cervix, if that makes any sense

August 29th, 2008, 09:51 AM
becky_mommyof4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i have it for my 2nd time i got it after my second child was born adn gotten it taken out a year later to get pregnant with my 3rd child and i have it again i love it nothing bad ever haoppened

September 5th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I had the copper iud between my pregnancies. I had no weight gain, pain, or other issues with it. it worked very well. I didn't get it after this pregnancy. Turns out that i got super long, super heavy periods while on it. (7-9 days, super tampons every 2 hours for the first 3 days) i didn't realize it was happening from the iud. just figured it was how my cycles changed after being pregnant. but, with that said, i would recommend them to others.

nak

My Ovulation Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search