Mirena & pregnancy symptoms

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
Regular
I've had my mirena for nearly 2 yrs. I havent had a period the whole time its been in, except for some breakthrough bleeding (looks almost black - old blood) every few months or so. I had lost my baby weight and was down to 127. Lately I noticed that I had gained weight, didnt realize how much until i couldnt fit some jeans. My breasts are larger and feel full, my current weight is 140. I swear I even look pregnant. I have milk too, before after my milk dried you couldnt squeeze any out, then i get in the shower and they were oozing, I was cramping a lot earlier but havent had any bleeding. I read another post abut possibly pregnany symptoms. Had anyone here ever gotten pregnant with the mirena?? Also, here lately sometimes i swear i feel what seems to be a kick, could just be gas though, i never had gas before that even felt like that. I checked and i can feel the string so i know its still in place right now. I almost would expect weight gain shortly after insertion, but not at almost 2 yrs into insertion
November 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Pregnancy symptoms are normal with the Mirena, because it contains a hormone that makes your body think it's pregnant. The weight gain can occur very gradually, or quickly - everybody is different. For that matter, the symptoms can come and go as well. However, like any other contraceptive - the Mirena has a failure rate too, so pregnancy is not impossible either. You may want to take a test just to be sure, and if it's negative you'll know it's just a side effect of the synthetic hormones.
January 4th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Veteran
I have had Mirena for 4 years, and I loved it! No period, no cramps, no weight gain, no depression, no worries!
Until last week when i took a pregnancy test, and it was positive. While we had to have immediately removed, and are trying to determine if I've already lost it, or am not far enough along for the U/S to pick it up. I am still getting positive tests.

One thing I learned this week about mirena is that the eggs can be fertilized, but since you do not create a lining it does not stay and is either absorbed or discharged, similar to a chemical pregnancy.

January 5th, 2008, 08:55 PM
ahillo5
i have mirena and i'm in the same boat! i feel very pregnant... i'm taking a test soon. i don't think it'd show up positive anyways.
January 5th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Regular
Quote:
I have had Mirena for 4 years, and I loved it! No period, no cramps, no weight gain, no depression, no worries!
Until last week when i took a pregnancy test, and it was positive. While we had to have immediately removed, and are trying to determine if I've already lost it, or am not far enough along for the U/S to pick it up. I am still getting positive tests.

One thing I learned this week about mirena is that the eggs can be fertilized, but since you do not create a lining it does not stay and is either absorbed or discharged, similar to a chemical pregnancy.[/b]
I finally did get the courage to buy a test and it was neg, what a relief!! Did you feel pregnant and thats why you got tested. The bad thing is if you get pregnant with mirena and have it taken out and you lose the baby, then you no longer have birth control, does the doc replace it or how does that work. thats something i worry about because my medicaid covered putting it in and im no longer covered if it should get expelled or i have it taken out if i do get pregnant. did you ever have days in between maybe every few months where you had almost black gunk in your underwear ? i would hurt like hell when this happened. I didnt know that mirena could cause ovarian cysts, ive had a problem with them since 1995. one ovary, sometimes both will ache really bad at least once or so a month
January 6th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Veteran
I only found out because my mind was playing tricks on me. We were visiting family for Chritmas, and my uncle and sister made a comment about me being pregnant. And then my mom had a funny dream about me being 1 month pregnant. So my mind started playing tricks, and I took a test..knowing that it was virtually impossible that I could be pregnant. Surprise!

That was New Years Eve. On the second the Dr. confirmed a positive test, and removed the mirena. On the 3rd, the ultrasound found nothing.
On the 4th it was confirmed again, and then a negative test also (drank almost 24oz of water right before the neg result) So we drew a Beta on Friday, and I go today for another Beta blood test. Tomorrow hopefully I will find something out definative. If the #s go up I go for another ultrasound in a couple of weeks, if the numbers go down I may have or be getting ready to lose it.

It's been one heck of a week for sure! I am praying the numbers go up, and I'm praying that everything falls in place, as we weren't planning this!

As for birth control, i'm probably going to go back on the Depo Shot. I didn't care for it, weight loss, mood swings, and migraines, but it seems to be the only thing that worked for me!

My first was a condom baby, the second I was on the pill, and now ....well I wiill hopefully know something tomorrow!

January 7th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Regular
Quote:
I only found out because my mind was playing tricks on me. We were visiting family for Chritmas, and my uncle and sister made a comment about me being pregnant. And then my mom had a funny dream about me being 1 month pregnant. So my mind started playing tricks, and I took a test..knowing that it was virtually impossible that I could be pregnant. Surprise!

That was New Years Eve. On the second the Dr. confirmed a positive test, and removed the mirena. On the 3rd, the ultrasound found nothing.
On the 4th it was confirmed again, and then a negative test also (drank almost 24oz of water right before the neg result) So we drew a Beta on Friday, and I go today for another Beta blood test. Tomorrow hopefully I will find something out definative. If the #s go up I go for another ultrasound in a couple of weeks, if the numbers go down I may have or be getting ready to lose it.

It's been one heck of a week for sure! I am praying the numbers go up, and I'm praying that everything falls in place, as we weren't planning this!

As for birth control, i'm probably going to go back on the Depo Shot. I didn't care for it, weight loss, mood swings, and migraines, but it seems to be the only thing that worked for me!

My first was a condom baby, the second I was on the pill, and now ....well I wiill hopefully know something tomorrow![/b]
I always thought that the iud would prevent implantation. it would have easier to have gotten pregnant with the arm implant because taking the iud out would disturb the lining of the uterus. i hope everything is okay. Good Luck!! and let me know what you find out!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search