good shoes are a must

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM
mikala101505's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went to the gym today which was tough because my husband works for little debbie snack cakes and their gym is only 3 dollars a week for a family membership, its a really great gym with a aerobics room a weightlifting area a track, treadmills and bikes and stuff then a walll ball area and a pool. well you have to check in at the reception desk and the first thing i see is a platter of free snack cakes!!! I was good and didn't get any but the whole time i'm working out its all i smell because the gym is connected to the plant and i could smell them cooking.....sooo tempting.

anyway about the shoes, I don't have good running shoes and I ran on the treadmill today my feet were hurting really bad when I got home so I took my shoes off to see why and I have a huge blister on the bottom of each foot!! So until I can get some good running shoes I think I will be sticking to yoga/pilates at home

January 13th, 2009, 09:33 PM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
shoes are VERY important...i have been so cheap i keep getting shoes from Ross or on sale and they end up feeling tight later...or my Ross sneakers when i do workouts it hurts my big toe on my right foot, why i don't know and it's always the same spot. Feels like there's a metal plate lol. I still need to buy some good shoes, i am 0 for 4

and I have no excuse either~

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

January 13th, 2009, 11:37 PM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh definitely, especially if you are going to be running... and if you run a lot you should be replacing your sneakers at least every 3 months (dont' quote me on that, it's been a few years since i've been out of the Army). Tonya or Teresa might know a more accurate time frame.
January 14th, 2009, 03:11 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I don't think it's quite 3 months to replace shoes. It depends on how much mileage you put on them. I want to say it's every 6 months, but if you are high mileage sooner than that. Good socks make a difference with blisters too. You can also try foot powder. That helped me a lot with blisters, but good shoes definitely make a difference.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 14th, 2009, 02:46 PM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good shoes and thick socks are definitely the key. My favorite are New Balance. If you go to an actual New Balance store they can scan your feet (for free) and tell you what inserts to get too that will make them better for your individual feet. I won't wear any other tennis shoes now. In my aerobics certification we were taught to change them every 3 months, but personally, I wear mine everywhere so I end up having to change them every month. It gets expensive, but it is so worth it to not have problems with my back, neck, hips, and knees, not even counting the blisters.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

January 14th, 2009, 03:08 PM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i think i am going to suck it up this saturday or next saturday and go to the new balance store

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

January 14th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Bakin8th's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you have to use shoes when at home? I had not even thought to wear shoes and use my bike bare foot.

Ttcing #9 After TWO 2nd trimester loss's and FIVE 1st trimester loss's. Missing our 8 ANGEL'S

IUI W/CLOMID/TRIGGER FEB 12/13 09!

Kyle (absent) Chelsea, Miki, Hanna, Johna, Sari, Jessiah and Isaiah.

THE LORD GIVES AND TAKES AWAY MY HEART WILL CHOOSE TO SAY BLESSED BE HIS WONDERFUL NAME!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our 8 Greatly missed Angels
12W, 6W, 6W, 9W 1 twin, 5W
17W twins (sex unkown) and "Elijah"
17W "Angel"
January 14th, 2009, 05:17 PM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I won't workout without good shoes because I've had knee surgery twice, scoliosis, a broken ankle, a dislocated sacroiliac joint (in the hip), and two herniated discs in my upper back. Not to mention the arthritis from all those injuries. LOL I have to have good support whenever I do anything so I'm not in pain afterwards. That being said, a bike is non-impact, so it won't be as bad on the joints as say walking on a treadmill or doing aerobics. So, it really depends on what you are doing. If there is impact of the feet to the floor or other surface, wear good shoes. If there's no impact, you can get away with going barefoot.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

January 14th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought a pair of shoes that were a brand I had never worn before. After a day they were uncomfortable and didn't support me correctly. I ended up tearing my tendon two days later. Anytime I wear the wrong shoes I can feel the pressure on my tendon.

If you like New Balances you should visit these website that sell them a lot cheaper.

http://www.eastbay.com/

http://www.final-score.com/

We buy our shoes there. To begin with, because they had large sizes and DH wears a 16 wide. We got a pair for 20 once and found the same pair in the store for 80 a week later.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

January 14th, 2009, 05:48 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
I like Brooks shoes a lot, but my current shoes are New Balance and I like them too.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search